Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MPC #83 - Of yourself, by yourself, in context; 4/13 to 4/25

I have forcefully subjected myself to a happy feeling in my pants, and thankfully had enough Kleenex to deal with the mess. Thanks guys, happy to pick my first MPC topic, I hope you all find it enjoyable and creative!

MPC #83 - Of yourself, by yourself, in context; 4/13 to 4/25

The idea is that you should capture an image of yourself, by yourself, in context to something else.

I didn't want to say "self-portrait" because in general, portraits are intended to express a particular quality/feature/likeness/disposition of a subject. This idea combines the act of taking a self-portrait, with the goal of conveying a relationship to something else.

In context: can mean in an environment, or in relation to another more finite subject such as another person, or an object. The point is that you are a primary or secondary subject in the image, and the image expresses a relationship to another subject, which can be abstract or definite. The basis of the relationship need not be factual either - what I mean is, that if your image evokes an attribute or story about yourself, but that idea is not grounded in truth (such as, you are not a climber but you're on a mountain, or you are not an alcoholic but the image has something to do with booze, etc) then that is okay. The end result is what is important.

By yourself: electronic and mechanical aids are on the table. This may favor those with RF remotes and programmable triggers, but the 10 second self-timer can go a long way for those of you without these things. I will allow someone else to press the button, but they should not hold the camera - so you compose on a tripod (or against a rock, or duct tape, etc), adjust settings, and literally all you say is, "press the button 2 seconds after I stop talking." This neutralizes against those who have fancy RF remotes (like me) if a self-timer is really impractical for your idea.

I am really excited to see how creatively the collective responds to this, as I am hoping to see a wide variety of interpretations and styles. And I will probably find myself leaving out really well executed or really creative images from the 5 nominees.

Get to it, I hope 12 full days is enough!

(PS, I'm not a fan of "ineligible photos" taken before the theme was posted ... )

Examples:
    Here is an example. Lonnie submitted this for the prior MPC. Had he used a different composition/focus/exposure and added lights inside his car to illuminate his face (or backlight only the outline of his head, etc), then this would be showing himself, in relationship to driving quickly through the environment. He fired the shot with a remote and set up everything on his own.

Lonnie S (hope you don't mind the repost)

Another example. I composed this shot, set up exposure etc, then got my ass as close to the ledge as my heart would allow and sqeezed off an RF remote. I'm clearly one of the subjects, and my relationship to the immensity of the Valley/El Cap is clear and can be interpreted in different ways by different people.

Schralph

Submissions must be captured by 11:59:59pm Hawaii time on Wednesday April 25 and posted by 5AM (same time zone) the following morning (since I won't look at them until morning anyways).

RULES:
    1. Photos must be taken within the time period of the contest.
    2. You may submit 3 photos during the contest.
    3. The contest moderator will choose 5 photos to be voted on.
    4. The winner will get a happy feeling in his/her pants. (That is a rule by the way, not an option.)
    5. In the event of a tie, the contest moderator will have the deciding vote.
    6. Winner will be the contest starter/moderator for the next comp.
    7. The winner has 3 days to start a new contest or 2nd place becomes the new winner.
    Last edited by SchralphMacchio; 04-12-2012 at 09:12 PM.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

like this?

Quote Originally Posted by outabounds View Post
    like this?
    yup, just like that

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

In some instances this is called the "Self Reflexive" camera. Documentary filmmakers use it quite a bit, since it places them into the narrative. It usually involves showing the production process, however, such as Lights, tripods, microphones, etc.

In photography an example would be a shot of a landscape out of a car window, with the side mirror in the corner showing the camera/photographer. Outabounds' kettle shot works too... NSFW: http://msgboard.snopes.com/photos/ri...ics/kettle.jpg

Nice Yosemite shot SM.

Just happened upon this shot this morning, and I think it qualifies according to SM rules. I'll throw it up in the hopes of entertaining (or at least making you jealous)...

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I'm on the right.

...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

^^^^^ What an AWESOME shot and idea! Really cool.

^^ Ooooohhh, I like that.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

^^ Altman -- that is awesome!
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

Thanks guys!

Thumbs up

The bar has been set high with Altman's pic.

brilliant..
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

It looks like it's in the bag...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Hey Alt, is that a 200L with a tripod colar?

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Hey Alt, is that a 200L with a tripod colar?
    Nope, it's an 80-200L aka magic drainpipe. Absolutely love that lens
    Last edited by Altmanator; 04-19-2012 at 05:06 PM.

energetic new relationship in the foreground, decrepit and deteriorating one in the back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kirkwood-092.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	549.3 KB 
ID:	114704  
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

1. It's a tough life.

I have 3 in mind -- they're all experimental that I've been meaning to try out for a while (and all coincidentally fit this theme). But weather plus out-of-town travel have conspired against me so far. May be able to try one tonight.
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

Fuzz, that was the whole point of this MPC, to get experimental and make people think about their shots. I'm looking forward to it, hopefully you have time in the next few days to get er done!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Have a couple more in mind, but as with Fuzz I might get hosed by weather and work.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    There are good men out there. Good men who are good looking, who ski hard, have their shit in order, know their priorities in life and will make you happy. I'm not one of them, but they are out there.

My first foray into the DSLR cyber world

First time poster, long time lurker.
    Hope I caught the essence of this MPC.
    10 seconds is NOT a lot if time to get this shot.
    Took about a dozen tries to finally get something I was happy with.
    With no tripod, I had to set my borrowed camera on a rock precariously and
    then run like hell in bare feet to get it off. This is about 15 metres from my back door and my
    wife was wondering what the hell I was doing. Pretty fun all in all.
    I cropped it and screwed around with the colour with windows photo editor.

Enjoy

Name:	ofmyself.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	524.6 KB 
ID:	114808  
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Name:	kirkwood-silver-camp-079.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	114845  
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I feel like a 14yo girl on facebook taking pics of myself. But it was fun playing around a little. Not really stellar material, but different... for me.

No 2:

No 3:

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!