Look P12 + BCA Alpine Trekker = Incompatible???

I have just recieved a (unused) 2nd hand pair of BCA Alpine Trekkers, so I start setting them up and quickly come across a problem- they don't seem compatible with Look P12 (and for that matter Rossingol 120) bindings- the bit that sticks up in the air on the P12s catches the heel of the boot.

One can make the binding larger so that it can accomodate the boot better when on the Trekkers- but then you would have to make the bindings smaller again for descent- hardly ideal!

Nowhere seems to suggest any compatibility problems between the 2, google isn't returning much info.

I can't be the first person to notice the problem, the P12s are incredibly popular bindings and would be just the kind of thing a the Trekkers would be used in. And the boots are Salomon X-Wave 9.0 so they are hardly non-standard.

Anyone got any advice, or has heard of this problem?
    Or am I just a complete Jong and misisng some adjustment?

As far as I know it's incompatible. Maybe you can figure something out to make it work, but I remember reading in an old Powder buyers guide that they were imcompatible.

just use the first heel elevater. no biggie.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Even with the first heel elevator it wont fit, it does with the 2nd but that is an insane ammount of lift.

This is stupid, I tried them on a pair of Rossignol 100 bindings on an old pair of skis and even on them they don't fit properly, still 0.5cm error so the boot rests on bindings, not too bad and the first heel raiser completely solves the problem but that is 2 totally different and popular bindings that the trakkers don't work with.
    Tried an old ski boot and that just made things worse!

my shitty lifters are so bendable, any amount of weight on the damn thing slips it right down back to no elevation(which is bad on the P14 obviously). the damn lifter needs to be thinker or less bendable/more locked into position. F'ing trekkers!

I have scratch 140's and have used them with trekkers. I think its all in how you set up the trekker, you need to make it so the frame part is as short as possible, and the toe and heel bails (sp?) are as far forward as possible. If its set up to have the back bar sit on top of the little rear notches, instead of around them it should work.

Hope that helps, hard to explain in words.

ditto, i have scratch 140's and they don't work flat, but do work fine on the first and second lifter

i've got those bindings and some european trekker wantabe's. my heel touches the binding just as yours do. i actually just use them as is. they havent' posed me any problems so far. they are old bindings though, so i don't mind trashing them if that is ultimately what will happen.

i've been on 7 or 8 tours with this setup, and no problems yet.... if it's all you've got, i'd give it a try.

What about FKS 155? Same heel at the P18 from what I know.
    Worky or no worky?

I picked up a pair to slap on iM103. Not going to be a touring ski, but would be nice to know up from if trekkers will work.

I had another good lok, no way of adjusting them to make them fit really. The problem is the toe piece is moved back by an inch and isn' fully adjustable. The toe clip[ is in its furthest forward position and whatever you do to the trekkers it doesn't stop the fact that the heel of the boot lands firmly on the binding., not just touching but by a serious ammount.

I guess its time to look for another pair of skis...

... or learn to tele

Quote Originally Posted by robokill1981
    As far as I know it's incompatible. Maybe you can figure something out to make it work, but I remember reading in an old Powder buyers guide that they were imcompatible.
    POwder is so dumb. They said Legend Pros are 97mm this year compared to 92mm last year. huh? And they also said Look bindings only release side to side. what?
    So anyway, Trekkers do hit the back of Look/Rossi bindings depending on the boot size and setup. But SO WHAT? Its not like the binding releases. Deal with it. I guess thats the price yu pay for riding the best bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman
    the damn lifter needs to be thinker
    i'm going to have to agree with this one
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Quote Originally Posted by gwat
    POwder is so dumb. They said Legend Pros are 97mm this year compared to 92mm last year. huh? And they also said Look bindings only release side to side. what?
    So anyway, Trekkers do hit the back of Look/Rossi bindings depending on the boot size and setup. But SO WHAT? Its not like the binding releases. Deal with it. I guess thats the price yu pay for riding the best bindings.
    GWat is so dumb. The 194cm LP's were 90mm wide last year, while the 186s were and continue to be 97mm wide. This year the 194s are also 97 wide.

What sucks about it is if you are doing any kind of long approach on flat terrain, because it really starts to hurt after awhile even with the small heel bail up.

There's plenty of posts on this message board about the problems with Look/Rossi and Trekkers. It isn't anything new.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

And BAkerBoy is even dumber
    Yea, as you know there were some 90mm Supers with the orange topsheet two years ago, but pretty much all of the retail 194s last year were 97mm.
    And Powder said the waist was widened from 92 to 97. Where did they come up with that number, tough guy? Either way they are wrong. And explain the sideways-only release Look bindings they speak of while you're at it.
    Um. This has nothing to do with Trekkers though. So about those Trekkers.... Other than listening to the clack, clack, clack of the Trekker hitting your binding as you climb, what is the big deal?

ive used trekkers with rossi free 120's and it worked fine... i think its all in how u adjust the trekker to fit since theres more than one way to get them to fit ur binding, didnt use any of the elevators as well...

yeah I was implying that mine will work with no heel lift. If you set it so the rear crossbar sits on top of the two ridges that BCA recommends it sits behind, it will lift it up ever so slightly (a few mm), hence preventing any unwanted contact.

I adjusted the trekkers so that the 'cage' as the manual calls it, sits on the two ridges Trouble is talking about so they sit 0.5cm higher theoreticly.

But since the boot sits several cms higher anyway it doesn't help matters much. I then decided that if I make the bindings slightly larger it will help, so the binding is a few mm bigger now but should still support the boot safely, this allows use of the first heel riser easily, but the boot still can't go flat down although it is a lot better and puts less pressure on the binding.

Having never skinned before, what difference does the first heel riser make, will it make things much harder, or would it actually be used in that postion quite a lot anyway.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm thinking of just ignoring the problem is best, as I can't afford a new pair of skis or a dedicated AT setup.

It also looks like a small mod could be mad drilling holes for the toe clip further forwards could gain enough space to make them work perfect- anyone doen this?

I use trekkers with p14's and they suck. I have to use the heel riser all the time and yes, that sucks. The moveable AFD in the toepiece also creates another 'wiggle point' at times.

But I deal with it. Long, steady inclines without many switchbacks are fine.

Bought freerides from iggyskier last night so piss on the trekkers