Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Boz View Post
    A group of us were standing on top, kicking ice balls down it, daring each other to go for the poach but then we saw 2 ski patrols at the top of the NEwport chair.
    My first line down the Chimney was actually a poach in 2000. A buddy and I watched a dude drop the Sweep on a snowboard....immediately a patroller on a sled pulled out from behind Newport and chased. My buddy just goes "now's our chance" and drops Center Line. It looked good and I had about 5 seconds to decide.....with a quick glance behind me for red coats I dropped it.

Only later did I hear the hassle they put Dougherty through for poaching Chimney.....threatened banning for life. That would have kept me from doing it, had I know.
    Donjoy to the World!

Got to see the Chimney today. Not sure why it hasn't opened. Looking like a reasonable straight run. The Center Line looks ready to go too. A 15-20 foot drop in off the cornice, to a quick straightline, to a either a significant booter going left or a technical turn out to the air on the right. My guess is that it would ski easier than it looks - it's always that way.

Headed over to Extra Chute and got a shot of my son Noah doing it for the first time! He's been wanting it all year. Thought it might be a nice shot for this tribute thread! I'll post it as soon as I upload it.

Really fun thread Huck!

Some Videos from 4/6

My buddy filmed some folks dropping Palisades on 4/6

Extra, 4-7-10

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Extra, 4-7-10

Awesome!! How old? Was he pumped up?

The day of the CP1 photos, above in this thread, Tom Day and his son were up there. They dropped Extra before us and skied under the Sweep. Then they went back up and both skied it. It was NOT soft that day either......totally fricking amazing, to have a father and son who both are solid enough to drop Chimney Sweep in boney conditions!!
    Donjoy to the World!

Totally forgot I had taken the time tag a bunch of photos from Squaw over the years and posted a few sets. Figured some people here might appreciate them. There are primarily scenic shots, interesting to compare the snow coverage over the years (pay attention to the photo dates, not the post dates):

The Palisades: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9059932...7623801956986/
    The Fingers: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9059932...7623742570963/

Funny, I just talked to Danny Day a last weekend about that Chimney session with his dad. His dad watched him cartwheel out the bottom and then dropped in himself - classic.

Here is a vid from the next day: This was the first time I met powdork who happened to be shooting it.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-lZpjNCng&feature=related"]YouTube- Squaw Valley - Chimney -05-04-07[/nomedia]

squaw valley usa international mountain resort
    Oldtimer--That photo is incredible!! That must have been a very proud moment for you. Congrats!

Youngest down Extra?

Is Friday THE day?
    --Looks socked in now, reasonable amount of wet snow, forecast is 55 and sunny.

Just so this bump isnt worthless......I got 3 laps on Friday (first this year), it was great fun, albeit not that smooth, still helped to get the confidence up a bit. I was solo, so no skiing shots.

Status of Palisades on April 16, 2010

Chimney Sweep

Donjoy to the World!

thanks all for the great pics of squaw. never been there but it reminds me of the cirque at the bird. it is good to see the love you all have for your mountain. very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    Awesome!! How old? Was he pumped up?

The day of the CP1 photos, above in this thread, Tom Day and his son were up there. They dropped Extra before us and skied under the Sweep. Then they went back up and both skied it. It was NOT soft that day either......totally fricking amazing, to have a father and son who both are solid enough to drop Chimney Sweep in boney conditions!!
    Mother Lizzy is a hell of a skier as well!

Quote Originally Posted by unpossible View Post
    Totally forgot I had taken the time tag a bunch of photos from Squaw over the years and posted a few sets. Figured some people here might appreciate them. There are primarily scenic shots, interesting to compare the snow coverage over the years (pay attention to the photo dates, not the post dates):

The Palisades: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9059932...7623801956986/
    The Fingers: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9059932...7623742570963/
    Updated with some pics from 4/16/2010, oddly the first time I have photographed it also season.

Go go gadget Chimney sessions, April 30th, 2010

loft

Center

Sweep

This guy gets Line of the Day

Updating with one of the key Palisade days of 2010.
    -----APRIL 23, 2010

The Objective.....OMG

Stairway to Heaven

Chimney session went OFF.

Woodskier

My buddy Seel

Then Huckwheat moved on to the lighter lines......
    KNOW YOUR LIMIT SKI WITHIN IT

First tracks down The Tube...glorious

Cant complain about that.

Easy Street getting some action

Another view (no skiers in it)

Patroller dropping the Sweep

Easy Street

Huckwheat dropping into The Tube and Extra:

Videos:
    Ladies first on Sweep.......then some dude......then Gopher on Center Line

Different version of Center Line

I think this is the 17 year old kid.

SLAYED.......
    Donjoy to the World!

Bumping this to remind those who are hopefully going to be taking advantage today to post some stoke.

Ahhh, finally something to contribute. I had to work today, but packed my ski gear knowing today would be the day. I did the minimum I had to, and left my office in Reno at 11:50.......and was on Palisades by 1:20, which was early enough to see some big guns ski the Chimney and then get myself 5 laps (2 Alt Extra, and 3 Box Airs).

March 28, 2011. The big day after Squaw went over 600 inches!!

What went down:
    --Sweep, Mr.Toads Wild Ride, Pony Express, a Loft to Center variation, and Draft Rock!

Steve Cooper on Mr.Toads

Tele guy Bob on Sweep

Pony Express......holy crap it was scary (zig zag line, with rough side hill landing).
    --Anyone know who skied it?

Draft Rock. This was so SICK!! I think it was JT.

Alternate Extra was lots of fun.
    Eric Seel.

Shaun (FatBastard)

Some dude....rock between Tube and alt tube line.

Hawley Rock Area

My steeze.....the landing gear photo, UGG.

Some Tele Dude.....going large.

Shaun (FatBastard).

The End
    Donjoy to the World!

Yes, I am bumping my own stuff. I am still reliving the glory of Monday and enjoy looking at these photos.

I learned yesterday that the Chimney line my buddy Cooper skied, was his first ever Chimney line.......and he is 43. Looking for some Palisades trivia here:
    --Oldest person to ever ski Chimney? I know Tom Day still does it, how old is Tom?
    --Oldest anyone has ever been for a first line down Chimney? Cooper maybe?
    --Youngest person to ski Chimney?
    --Youngest person to ski Extra? Probably Noah Gaffney at 9, from photos above.

Steve Cooper on Mr.Toads
    Donjoy to the World!

Man that glide crack looks mean. For those that don't know, that thing probably goes down over 100'. The Sades get a lot of snow.

As for oldest, in spring of '06, Cheryl skied it, I think she was late 50s, plus some dudes who were even older, 60s i think.

As for under normal conditions, could be Tom. Who's older, him or Kevin Andrews?

I love this thread. It really makes me miss living at Squaw. It looks like it should be a great spring, with that sort of coverage. It would be really fun to get some slush turns down Extra this May, if I can get up there.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

--Oldest person to ever ski Chimney? I know Tom Day still does it, how old is Tom?
    i was on the chair with a guy in 2006 who said he skied it on his 59th birthday...

i owe that guy some thanks... i skied it later that week on my 29th birthday. he definitely helped convince me i needed to.

cheryl definitely ripped it in 06, but she was not in her late 50s. as gentlemen we shouldn't be discussing her age anyways
    Last edited by jahroy; 04-18-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    Still waiting...

Cross posting a few related pics from the Tahoe thread. I may have more on my camera I need to extract off...

Before the Monday session:

After the Monday session:

My buddy also has video of the snowboarder almost killing himself (perhaps another angle from what unffocialsquaw posted), I need to get the video from him.

Yes, I am bumping my own stuff. I am still reliving the glory of Monday and enjoy looking at these photos.

I learned yesterday that the Chimney line my buddy Cooper skied, was his first ever Chimney line.......and he is 43. Looking for some Palisades trivia here:
    --Oldest anyone has ever been for a first line down Chimney? Cooper maybe?
    --Youngest person to ski Chimney?
    --Youngest person to ski Extra? Probably Noah Gaffney at 9, from photos above.
    Like was mentioned above, Cheryl skied the Chimney in 2006, and she was at least in her late 50s. But was it the Chimney then? Not really. Everything but Draft Rock was gone. Just like saying someone did Mr. Toad's Wild Ride the other day--was it really Mr. Toads? Not really. It was in the same PLACE where Mr. Toads is, but with the bottom rocks buried it's a whole different thing. So, it all comes down to how you count it. I've done Schmidiots roughly 13 times. And yet I've only hit it 3 times or so when it was legit. Some of the lines are still there, but for the most part, Easy Street, Center Line and the Sweep are pretty damn filled in and no longer their worthy selves.

We need to subract another 15' of snow and then get a little bit of paste in there, and then it's back on!
    or don't

Cool stories.

It is a true point that 2006 counts differently. My buddy Spear got first tracks down Schmidiots that year (Robb G gave him honors), then he went back up and did it again.

That said, psyched for the people that got it that year (especially at 59), and I hope 2011 gets just as filled and I get to ski some Chimney lines.

Edit to show Chimney in 2006
    Donjoy to the World!

also 2006....

Still waiting...

I love popping into this thread... some of these look like they'd get the heart going for sure!
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.