Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I've got ribs with Sweet Baby Rays sauce in the crock pot for dinner. While not the same as grilled ribs, for as little effort as this is the rewards are grand.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post
    Here's what works for me in a crockpot (or a pyrex casserole dish):

Chopped up pork loin or boneless pork chops
    Chopped up butternut squash
    small amount of diced onions
    Baby Carrots
    Chopped celery
    Walnuts
    raisins
    A bottle of BBQ Sauce (I like KC Masterpiece)

Cook it forever...and it's YUM!

Sprite
    Going to be trying this out with chicken tonight minus the walnuts and raisins.
    "JONG!!!!!" is the sound a lift tower makes when a gaper runs into it.
    -Observed at Brighton, UT

Days on snow 2007/2008 season
    Backcountry: 11
    Lift served: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Well, the chili verde I made yesterday turned out AWESOME.

4 lb pork shoulder/butt
    28 oz can tomatillos
    small can jalapenos
    2 small cans green chiles
    2 chopped onions
    some green salsa
    chicken broth
    1/2 PBR
    salt
    pepper

I browned the pork for a while and roasted it in the oven for 40 minutes with the onions. Chopped the pork (discarded some fat) and the onions and combined them in the crock with all of the other ingredients.

served over rice ..... $$$$$
    Damn Hutch, you are a regular Iron Chef. I'm going to have to start finding excuses to get you to somehow cook for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I've got ribs with Sweet Baby Rays sauce in the crock pot for dinner. While not the same as grilled ribs, for as little effort as this is the rewards are grand.
    may i suggest grilling these for a minute or 2 after they've been in there for several hours. Just had these about an hour ago. So fricken good. Utensils completely unnecessary.
    "if it's called tourist season, why can't we just shoot them?"

just pre-loaded the crock with the peppery asian ribs for tomorrow night. psyched!

Well, shit. I have now learned a valuable crockpot lesson. If you are going to throw a bunch of chicken breasts in the crockpot for 6 hours, make damn sure they are boneless. I assumed since I bought them skinless they were boneless as well and just threw them in. Never checked....Mini bones EVERYWHERE in my BBQ chicken stew stuff.

Chuck Roast
    2 jars of hot Banana Peppers
    Cook on high for six hours

Get some hogies (slightly toasted) w/ provolone cheese. Bam!

Best sandwich ever.
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!

Once or twice a month I make this:

1 approx 3 bag of frozen chicken breasts (boneless)
    I 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
    1 6 oz can of diced green chiles
    cook 6 hours on high, then drain

shred with a fork and mix in
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

serve on tacos. Freeze leftovers for later use in tacos (or whatever).

Super cheap and easy and surprisingly delicious

Bomber chili recipe that came in a cookbook w/ my gf's crockpot.

Favorite Chili
    1/4lb pinto beans
    2 14 1/2 oz cans tomatoes
    2lbs ground chuck, browned and drained
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2-3 tbsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. pepper
    1 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. salt

Completely soften beans by cooking in boiling water on the stove; drain off water. Put all ingredients in pot in the order listed and stir. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hrs or on high 5-6 hrs. Top w/ sour cream and cheese.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Mrs T ("I pity the fool"), the peppery asian ribs were melt-in-our-mouth delicious.

I'm having a second course for lunch today.

Nutcase, that shredded chicken recipe looks like a new staple.

Love this thread.

Caribbean Chicken Pepper Pot
    From Food Network Kitchens Making it Easy, Meredith, 2004

1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 medium onion, halved and sliced
    2 bay leaves
    1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
    2 teaspoons ground allspice
    1 heaping teaspoon dried thyme
    1/3 cup tomato paste
    Freshly ground black pepper
    8 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
    3 1/2 cups water
    1 Scotch bonnet chile, pierced (if you like it really hot, mince it)
    8 ounces fresh okra, trimmed, halved crosswise
    3 thick sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), each cut into 4 rounds with skin on
    1 bunch collard greens (about 1 pound), stems removed, chopped

Heat a 7-liter pressure cooker over medium heat. Stir in the oil, onion, bay leaves, 1 1/2 tablespoons salt, the allspice, and thyme; cook, uncovered, until soft, about 8 minutes. Increase the heat to high, stir in the tomato paste, and cook, stirring and scraping, until it turns brick red, about 2 minutes.

Season the chicken with some salt and black pepper, to taste, and add it to the pot, turning to coat with the tomato and onion. Stir in the water, then add the chile, okra, potatoes, and collard greens in that order. You don't need to stir--the collards will cook down and keep everything moist as the cooker comes up to pressure. Close the pressure cooker lid and bring the pressure up to high (which can take up to 10 minutes), then reduce the heat, if necessary, to maintain an even pressure for 7 minutes.

Remove from the heat and press the pressure indicator stem until no more steam comes out. Carefully open the pot. Remove and discard bay leaves. Ladle the stew into bowls and serve.
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

Just got my new huge crock. Heres whats in it now:

5 lbs brisket trimmed salted and peppered
    1-2 lbs assorted fingerling potatoes
    3 cloves garlic minced
    5 stalks celery
    1 large vidalia onion chopped
    1/2 bag baby carrots
    3 cups beef broth
    1 pint guinness
    an entire package of fresh rosemary
    2/3 cup ketchup
    4 strips bacon cut in half and laid on top of the meat

Its simple, and hopefully delicious.
    Cooking on low for 10 hours right now. It'll be done soon, I am excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knight View Post
    Unreal yummy at 1am when back from the bar.
    Super simple, turned out great.

2.5 lbs natural, free range CO beef brisket
    1 bottle of Breckenridge Brewery Singletrack Copper Ale
    1 light pour of Apple Cider vinegar
    A solid grab of green onions, chopped
    A medium handful of jalapenos, de-seeded, chopped
    1 blob of BBQ sauce

Everything goes in from the start. Stir the liquid to disperse the BBQ blob. 10 full hours on low.
    Pull out meat, separate with fork. Set aside about half the liquid as an Au Jus. Serve on Kaiser Roll.
    Dip till you drop.

Stupid simple, and oh so effing good. I heart you Crockie.
    I made this yesterday, stellar. Some comments: it tasted great, but I found that very little of the flavors I put in there were in the meat. Hmmm... Also, I did not find it separatable with a fork. But it was quite nice sliced.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I made this yesterday, stellar. Some comments: it tasted great, but I found that very little of the flavors I put in there were in the meat. Hmmm... Also, I did not find it separatable with a fork. But it was quite nice sliced.
    Some advice for braised and crock pot dishes: one key is to let the meat cool in the braising liquid and let the meat absorb up all of the good stuff left in the dish/pan. An advantage of this to, is if you let it cool over night in the fridge you can easily scrape the fat off the top. The next day, scrape the rendered fat off, slowly reheat the meat in the braising liquid, reduce/ strain the cooking liquid into a sauce if that's your kind of thing. The frustrating part though is having your kitchen filled with the smell, but not being able to enjoy it till the following day, but it does make for a tastier result.

Thanks for the tip! I shoulda pulled out a piece and sliced a bit off, then put it back in the pot, I guess.

There will be a next time, so I'll give that a shot!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
    Some advice for braised and crock pot dishes: one key is to let the meat cool in the braising liquid and let the meat absorb up all of the good stuff left in the dish/pan. An advantage of this to, is if you let it cool over night in the fridge you can easily scrape the fat off the top. The next day, scrape the rendered fat offand insert into mouth , slowly reheat the meat in the braising liquid, reduce/ strain the cooking liquid into a sauce if that's your kind of thing. The frustrating part though is having your kitchen filled with the smell, but not being able to enjoy it till the following day, but it does make for a tastier result.

But seriously, why would I remove the rendered fat when I can just reheat it and it'll go back into the liquid, isnt that more delicious?

Yes, but you have the keep the ladies and sissies happy.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    But seriously, why would I remove the rendered fat when I can just reheat it and it'll go back into the liquid, isnt that more delicious?
    Removing the fat is mostly done when you want to make a sauce out of the drippings and braising liquid, not for trying to make it "healthy." Incorporating the fat into a sauce improperly or using too much will make way for a "broken," greasy sauce, instead of an emulsified and consistent texture. That's one reason why sauces like hollandaise are often frustrating for people to pull off. I guess if you leave all fat in there, you could just call the dish "rustic," my same excuse when I get too lazy with the knife cutting veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by Burrrr View Post
    Chuck Roast
    2 jars of hot Banana Peppers
    Cook on high for six hours

Get some hogies (slightly toasted) w/ provolone cheese. Bam!

Best sandwich ever.
    made a variation of this that turned out good

4lb roast grilled 5 mins on each side
    1 bell pepper
    1 onion
    1 can of tomatoes
    1 can of fr onion soup + water
    1 can of beef stock
    1 jar of banana peppers
    added a couple left over HOT jalepenos just sliced open
    salt\pepper

High for a couple hours, low for 5-6 more (cause we were in a hurry\hungry), remove meat, seperate with a fork\knife whatever, put back in pot, let it go 1 more hr and serve wet over a toasted bun. forks are pretty much required.

throw some kettle chips on the side, and hell yea.

i used the left overs, which werent much, to make some awesome chili last night
    added more meat and beans and whatever else you like to do for chili and also delish

made a fantastic lamb ragu the other day which lent itself to a romantic evening

step 1: saute onions, celery, parsley, garlic and carrots

step 2: cook ground lamb, tomato paste, basil, rosemary in crock pot, stir in above saute

step 3: add two cups of a good red wine, simmer for five hours

step 4: prepare fresh side salad with a simple dressing

step 5: serve lamb ragu over parpadelle, top off with grated parm

step 6: pair with a rich barolo on a cold, snowy evening, enjoy with loved ones!

A beer fortress in the kingdom of cheese...
    Thanks BeanDip... Always love the photo food TRs! I should do one?
    If some of the best times of my life were skiing the UP in -40 wind chill with nothing but jeans, cotton long johns and a wine flask to keep warm while sleeping in the back of my dad's van... does that make me old school?

"REHAB SAVAGE, REHAB!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by timvwcom View Post
    Always love the photo food TRs! I should do one?
    yes.

another sunday, another crock pot adventure. used ski bee's dee-freaking-lish vegetarian peanut stew rec. from this thread.

it was fantastic, easy, and i got teased by my boyfriend when we came upon this step in the directions:
    Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    sick it in the pot, turn it on and go skiing.

he was all "gee! i wonder where exactly you got THESE instructions from"

we also added chicken and substituted kidney beans for black beans. used all fresh veggies and nothing canned.

next time, i would add MORE chicked because this came out amazing.

reheated for lunch today was also stuperb!

thanks skibee!

Thumbs up

Wow! That looks very good! I would drive into the City just for a bowl of that.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Big ass beef roast
    one large can of Guiness
    some lipton onion soup mix.

Drop in roast, pour the beer over the roast, sprinkle the onion soup mix over the top of the roast and down the side. Set crock pot on low when you leave in the morning. Come home in the evening and enjoy.

Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Corned beef & Cabbage

Okay, here is my recipe for Corned Beef & Cabbage, which is on its way to becoming world famous and is one of the easiest recipes ever.

Procure 1-3 packs of corned beef, depending on size, they seem to usually be 2-4lbs. Place meat in crock pot or another container big enough to marinade the meat, add enough Guinness to cover the meat ( I know this seems like sacreligious, but the guinness makes it and is well worth the sacrifice) and add the little seasoning packs that come with the meat and let marinade for AT LEAST 24 hours! This is critical, I was once forced to only marinade for 12 hours and it just was not the same, 24 hours is a must.

Wake early on St Patty's and start in a crock pot on high for 8-10 hours or until the meat begins to fall apart. Add sliced cabbage to the pot during the last hour or two of cooking, depending on how soft you like it.

I make this recipe almost every year on St, Patty's and get rave reviews and much thanks for slaving over the hot crock pot to make it, when in actuality I simply switch the crock pot on and drink guinness all day.
    "I have never been able to properly explain myself in this climate." -H.S.Thompson

“Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.” -H.S.Thompson