Page 65 of 122 FirstFirst ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 3031
    Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    mantle project that took way too long, and still working on, but now that ski season is over ...

Attachment 206876Attachment 206878Attachment 206879
    Beautiful
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Not built, but I been prepping the house for paint last couple weekends. Huge pain. Anyway I primed it this morning. I will back brush the finish coat to make it look a bit smoother. Kinda putting lipstick on a pig to sell it. It needs to be re sided. This should give next owners a good 7 years if they don't want to side it right away. Just no return for me if I re side it before sale.

On a side note. Harbor freight gets a lot of crap but I looked at renting a sprayer. Instead I grabbed a 5/8 hp airless sprayer 25ft hose complete kit. $170 with discounts/sales. For reference I professionally painted houses for 10+ years. This little sprayer performed admirably and if it only makes it a couple jobs it paid for itself. Got 2 sides and the back 2 coated. Used about 7 gallons and took 4 hours.

Building some planter boxes for the hill in front of the house. I don't mind all the time building them but I'm not looking forward to the side hill install with the survey project that goes along with getting them square and level.

An extra 7 years? That's got to be some of that really good structural paint I've heard about.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    An extra 7 years? That's got to be some of that really good structural paint I've heard about.
    You've had too many bad paint jobs. I've applied paint on houses that lasted 15+ before needing anything. It's all about application and preparation. Scrape, sand, prime 2 coat finish. I did all that here but the cedar siding was in rough shape as the last guy did a crap job. This will be far from perfect but should easily go 7 years before it goes ghetto again.

We should find every dipshit who installed ceder siding at an angle in the 1970s and 1980s and beat them with a fucking cane.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i'm not too crafty but my heart's in the right place! my son is named after my grandpa, who died when i was month old after meeting me once. apparently he was quite artistic in addition to being a logger. his long time logging partner felled a tree on him in winter weather. he survived 8 hours in the snow before they got him out and two weeks in the hospital. he did a lot of cool stuff, including woodburning this dragon on my dad's bedroom door with his name in cursive underneath. i'm doing the same for my son but on a movable piece of wood. i've never woodburned anything but the box i buried my 18 year old cat in. this is just a practice run on the wrong kind of wood i hope. any pointers are appreciated.

i copied the door on a copier, then used graphite paper to put the image on the wood.
    I've no pointers but think this is a cool sentiment and great project.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    We should find every dipshit who installed ceder siding at an angle in the 1970s and 1980s and beat them with a fucking cane.
    OMG I couldnt agree more...they did the back horizontally and it didnt warp hardly at all...the angle shit? ugh due to prior bad paint jobs and me neglecting it for too long made some of it a mess. Like i said Lipstick on a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I need to get starts and seeds in the dirt and put up temp hill people fence to keep the deer out. This project is cramping my spring skiin steeze... grrrr
    Got the temp hill people fence and gates installed yesterday afternoon and more in the ground (and I got a little ski in on Saturday). Note the craftsmanship is nowhere near that of others on this board, which I'm ok with (and y'all are giving great ideas.

Looks good to me buddy
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Looks good to me buddy
    Thanks.

Hopefully, it'll get the job done for a few seasons.

Note the big trunk in the background that I haven't bucked yet. That was our second biggest tree lost from pine beetle last summer. 36"-ish DBH. Definitely more sun now at the garden spot.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    We do the cardboard thing too...kills all plants weeds underneath better and then composts eventually, IME. Here's a shot of our garden, built all the boxes and fence.

If the garden doesn't work out, this could double as a family plot when the apocalypse hits.

One in place. Added a bench on the side that faces the fire pit.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    If the garden doesn't work out, this could double as a family plot when the apocalypse hits.
    Ha, that made me laugh and very true!!

Another one with bench

Shit you built with your own two hands (picture thread)

Starting to come together.

tile crate lined with garden cloth up on blocks

with strawberries

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Starting to come together.

tile crate lined with garden cloth up on blocks

with strawberries
    Aren't cinder blocks made with shit you're not "supposed" to plant in? Think I read that somewhere but it might been that food lady or something. I personally wouldn't worry either, but I think there are some nasty chemicals that go into producing cinder blocks. Maybe those are free range cinder blocks though.

Organic gluten free

yeah i would definitely not grow in cinder blocks. or maybe just the cancer causing vegetables.

Shit you built with your own two hands (picture thread)

Thought about starting a "how to" thread but I suppose this is as good a place as any. Install of the planter boxes is on hold and I'm taking the side door up to defcon 1 due to excessive grousing.

I like this door, but I hate the ugly and poorly situated cat/dog door. So I want to rehab it back to its previous unfucked condition.

I'm thinking of ripping out the cat door border and innards, filling the hole with a piece of wood of appropriate size, then placing another piece of plywood in the recessed part of the door just as high as the top of the old hole, then finally, another piece of plywood over what should then be a flush surface. The last piece of plywood would be like a large wooden kick plate with some nice molding around it to basically make it look like an ornate flourish to the bottom half of the door. Finish with sand and paint to match.

(1) Does that sound like a stupid plan?
    (2) If not, what substance should I use to fill the gap that will exist between the inlayed piece of plywood and the inside of the recess (there will be a gap because the inlayed plywood won't fit perfectly with the beveled edges). Like woodfiller but for more than just spot treatments I guess.
    (3) what sort of wood for an exterior door, albeit under and overhang?

The more I read about concrete blocks (not cinder blocks - my mistake) the less I'm worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    (1) Does that sound like a stupid plan?
    Yes.

For lots of reasons. Not least if which because it will look like shit.

Replace the Cat Door with a solid wood panel with your house number on it. That would give you a good story to tell if someone asked why the door looked like that. Or you could say the previous owner put the number there.
    Based on the paint overspray on your sill, anything will work.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Based on the paint overspray on your sill, anything will work.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Yes.

For lots of reasons. Not least if which because it will look like shit.
    Haha, ok. Lay option b on me.