Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 45 of 45
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    the thinking man's WA
    Posts
    1,701
    I've been surfing these waves lately, but it's a fair way from home for you....





    edit: one was yesterday, one was last november and one was last december.

  2. #27
    Hugh Conway Guest
    that WA?

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    the thinking man's WA
    Posts
    1,701
    Yes

    5678

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    107
    If you want to try something different with a cool vibe, you may want to check out Barbados. Late November may get you some fun waves.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In Full Compliance
    Posts
    1,315
    Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Lets play where should Comish and Mrs. Comish travel for Thanksgiving.
    Sorry for the thread bump but I am having this same issue (where to be in November) and found this thread in a search. Now I want to know where the Comish ended up going!

    liv2ski & BigStorm had it right, according to this source: http://www.surfline.com/travel/best-...to-rico_49549/

    Here is a good source for problems like this: Best Surf Places in the World

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    LaLa Land
    Posts
    2,924
    I'm gonna bump my own thread as I'm doing this same debate again...

    I can add a little to the above in the last decade.

    We went to Brazil after this thread. Search and there are pictures of some fine Brazilian ass from that trip. It actually changed me from a boob guy to an equal opportunity Actually scored some fun surf on a reef at Moro de Sao Paulo up north near Salvador. Super chill place, reasonably inexpensive, and some great family run places to stay. Also enjoyed Rio as well for 5 ish days. More drinking than anything, but some great restaurants.

    We have since been to Hop's suggestion of Saladita 5x and love it! Paradise for this crew. Unfortunately the Cartels are fucking shit up a bit in Guerrero these days so we are giving it a miss this year.

    Also went to the No. Shore of Oahu one year. Unfortunately got hosed on weather /swell. It was torrential downpour and flash flooding for 2 days, 1 day of head high awesomeness followed by food poisoning at Turtle Bay, followed by 2 days of XXL swell with only Waimea Bay and outer reefs able to hold the swell. Didn't get to surf much, but did enjoy watching the show at Waimea. Unfortunately a dude died at an outer reef that same day.

    So back to trying to find a place that is warm, with swell, in November. Mrs. Comish is still an intermediate longboarder a decade on so something that works for that group would be great. At least she still surfs and likes it! Need warm because I prefer Mrs. Comish in cheeky bikinis to freezing our butts off in wetsuits.

    What is the story on Fiji in November?
    He who has the most fun wins!

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    7,773
    Did you check out the Puerto Rico suggestion? Seems to fit the bill. I know it hits all your points except maybe the long boarding one. Just need to research that. Not 3rd world. Warm, not too expensive, good food, asses on the beach...

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    621
    Still hurricane season in PR....bad idea unless you like to play 4 and 10 at the craps table.... indo is good in November and so is sri lanka and many other places around the globe.... don't tbe shy of he Hawaiian Islands either.... the best plan is an open plan...

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    7,773
    Sure. Good point. Between 1980 and 2005, two hurricanes hit PR in November. No time to look for more recent data, but that would be once every 12 1/2 years. So low odds of getting hit. When I lived in NE, PR was popular in Nov, as there was opportunity for more swell from different directions. Although it was put a damper on vacation to get hit by a storm. Although it is a hell of a lot less travel time than Sri Lanka.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SFCA
    Posts
    1,103
    I don't know how married to the idea of warm you are, but OBX is pretty bitching in November. Better if you can hit it a month earlier.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,260
    Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    I'm gonna bump my own thread as I'm doing this same debate again...

    I can add a little to the above in the last decade.

    We went to Brazil after this thread. Search and there are pictures of some fine Brazilian ass from that trip. It actually changed me from a boob guy to an equal opportunity Actually scored some fun surf on a reef at Moro de Sao Paulo up north near Salvador. Super chill place, reasonably inexpensive, and some great family run places to stay. Also enjoyed Rio as well for 5 ish days. More drinking than anything, but some great restaurants.

    We have since been to Hop's suggestion of Saladita 5x and love it! Paradise for this crew. Unfortunately the Cartels are fucking shit up a bit in Guerrero these days so we are giving it a miss this year.

    Also went to the No. Shore of Oahu one year. Unfortunately got hosed on weather /swell. It was torrential downpour and flash flooding for 2 days, 1 day of head high awesomeness followed by food poisoning at Turtle Bay, followed by 2 days of XXL swell with only Waimea Bay and outer reefs able to hold the swell. Didn't get to surf much, but did enjoy watching the show at Waimea. Unfortunately a dude died at an outer reef that same day.

    So back to trying to find a place that is warm, with swell, in November. Mrs. Comish is still an intermediate longboarder a decade on so something that works for that group would be great. At least she still surfs and likes it! Need warm because I prefer Mrs. Comish in cheeky bikinis to freezing our butts off in wetsuits.

    What is the story on Fiji in November?
    My wife and I did our honeymoon in Fiji in the first week of November 2013. We stayed at a resort called Qamea.

    http://www.qamea.com/

    It was an amazing trip. There is a surf guide there November through March, and there is a very fun right reef about 15 minutes by boat from the resort. It costs something like 75$ per trip to the reef, so it is not cheap. The wave is lots of fun, but not what I would call world class. From what I hear it is pretty consistent, but we were only there for a week. I surfed 4 out of 8 days, it was a honeymoon not a surf trip so surfing was not my focus. You can also paddle board, snorkle, dive, hike in the jungle, take tours of the islands....All in all I love the resort, but I don't think I would go for a surf only trip. The wave was really fun though, mostly shoulder high, occasionally head high, fun but slightly soft right reef. I have seen pictures of it barreling, but it is not a very heavy wave. It would be very crowded in socal, but I don't know that I would travel all the way to Fiji, the trip took 3 flights and 19 hours followed by a boat ride across the channel to the island, just to surf it. I really wish I could say more about the consistency. The surf guide was from a company called Tropicsurf, and I stayed in touch with him. He told me a few months later that he found some other good waves in the area, mostly 30 to 45 minutes from the resort. He said northern Fiji is pretty unexplored, and he was frothing about the possibilities.

    All in all it was a spectacular trip, but I don't know that I would go there for a surf only trip. The food is great, the accommodations are awesome, it is perfect for a trip with surfing as a part of it, but not as a surf only trip. That wave is lots of fun though, in Orange County it would be extremely crowded, and surfing with just me and the guide was great.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."


    "You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

    "I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    7,773
    Awesome. We took a cruise and over land trip through Alaska for our honeymoon. No way I would be trusted at a surf local to maintain marital bliss. Your a strong man and have a understanding woman. I could maybe sneak away one morning, but not four.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    621
    Hmmmmm hurricane season

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Wilds of Maine
    Posts
    2,399
    Jumping in this thread... may be taking a solo trip end of November for 10 days as I just realized I have a week of vaca I haven't accounted for. Flights from Boston to Costa/Nica/Panama are super cheap. Could do PR but having not done Central America yet, and being a pretty fluent Spanish speaker, it'd be fun to go a littl farther afield.

    Have a buddy running a surf op in Playa Negra I may do a few days with then go full dirtbag (car camp? hostel?) elsewhere in Costa or up in Nica for the rest of the time. Don't really want to go to San Juan del Sur with the rest of the tourists but haven't searched around at the options in a long time.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey

    Associate Editor, TGR

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    7,773
    I think west coast panama is mostly south swell and off season. Still off season for costa for the most part but nice weather. I have a buddy from Maine who goes down often in January and says he usually get daily surf but has had a week with only one chest high day and less. For him it is family vaca so it works. If you are going solo I'd look for something that has good exposure to the north swells. Hawaii?

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Wilds of Maine
    Posts
    2,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I think west coast panama is mostly south swell and off season. Still off season for costa for the most part but nice weather. I have a buddy from Maine who goes down often in January and says he usually get daily surf but has had a week with only one chest high day and less. For him it is family vaca so it works. If you are going solo I'd look for something that has good exposure to the north swells. Hawaii?
    Hmm, yeah was only mildly aware that it's off season that way. Bocas Del toro may be bettter on Caribbean side? If it were head high wherever I'd still be pumped.

    I've always been leery of Hawaii, if only because of the stories of intense localism.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey

    Associate Editor, TGR

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    7,773
    I didn't have any issues in Kauai a decade back. Sure, some spots are tight, but it is not really bad. The tour shows up on Oahu after Thanksgiving I believe.

    Caribbean side seems like the good call. Although they can get some dry spells even in season.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Wilds of Maine
    Posts
    2,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I didn't have any issues in Kauai a decade back. Sure, some spots are tight, but it is not really bad. The tour shows up on Oahu after Thanksgiving I believe.

    Caribbean side seems like the good call. Although they can get some dry spells even in season.
    Good to know. Thanks dude.

    My buddy from slc is now trying to cajole me to Puerto Vallarta where his folks have a place. Swell history for November still looks pretty decent for my east coast standards, plus free room...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey

    Associate Editor, TGR

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    7,773
    Free housing is good. Caribbean season is just starting in November, so not a great time for there.

    Technically is is moving to off season around PV, but Punta Mira picks up any south in the water. Spots north of there pick up plenty of North. Free housing is great and even if the surf is flat some good food and night life around.

    Like I said earlier I have a buddy coming from Maine to Costa during the off season. He likes the off shore and dry weather. Smaller swell does not bother him as it is way better than being in Maine in February.

    PV area is warm. Board short comfy at first light. If you end up going there, read my TR on Punta Mita. Some surf info in there.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Wilds of Maine
    Posts
    2,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Free housing is good. Caribbean season is just starting in November, so not a great time for there.

    Technically is is moving to off season around PV, but Punta Mira picks up any south in the water. Spots north of there pick up plenty of North. Free housing is great and even if the surf is flat some good food and night life around.

    Like I said earlier I have a buddy coming from Maine to Costa during the off season. He likes the off shore and dry weather. Smaller swell does not bother him as it is way better than being in Maine in February.

    PV area is warm. Board short comfy at first light. If you end up going there, read my TR on Punta Mita. Some surf info in there.
    Yeah read through your TR... good stuff!

    Feel like it's coming down to PV or Guanacaste. Have another buddy running a surf camp at Playa Negra and that area seems to offer the best chance to move about and score depending on what the surf is like.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey

    Associate Editor, TGR

Similar Threads

  1. Where to live for surf and ski??
    By robnow in forum Surf
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 09-02-2016, 03:59 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2006, 07:20 AM
  3. November...
    By glademaster in forum General Ski / Snowboard Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-29-2005, 10:47 PM
  4. Holy crap!
    By vinzclortho in forum Surf
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 04:10 PM
  5. You're a Kook!
    By AntiSoCalSkier in forum TGR Forum Archives
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •