Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I am a huge fan of Patron Silver in margs, but was wondering if anyone mixes tequilas in a margarita. Maybe using a shot each of Silver and Reposado instead of 2 of Silver? Might give it a slightly mellower flavor without giving you an oakey tasting mixed drink, no?

This is the recipe I've been working with so far:
    2 oz Patron Silver
    1 oz Grand Marnier
    2 oz Key Lime juice
    tiny pinch of sugar
    Aren't you like, 12?

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    And why is this not in the padded room?
    I feel in the mood for a GFY.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Aren't you like, 12?
    18, but nice try Tipp, haven't heard that crack around here before.

Ah. Well then, it's all good.

Something about 18yo tossing around Margarita Recipes makes me smile - in a good, friendly way. I always thought that the drinking age was really fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    18, but nice try Tipp, haven't heard that crack around here before.
    Yea, but you still look 12. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The Silver Coin is the perfect margarita. The Silver Coin uses good silver/blanco tequila, Cointreau and fresh-squeezed juice. Somewhere around 2:1:1 or 3:2:1 proportions according to taste.

I like Milagro Silver for the tequila, and I'd make a case for using good silver or blanco tequilas and if you use all good ingredients, it won't be a waste. No sugar, sodas, mixes, beer or other crap. I don't use reposados or (god forbid) añejos for margs - those are for straight up drinking.

The real key is using fresh squeezed juice, and I like lemons - they're less bitter and more consistant than limes. Try lemons, you won't go back. If you can get Meyer lemons you'll be hooked.

Margaritas aren't supposed to be sweet. They're about the good silver tequila with a little orange (Cointreau) and a bit of lemon juice to accentuate the tequila flavor.
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 05-27-2007 at 09:54 AM.

I know I'm reviving an old, dead thread, but in my defense I actually used the search function.

I've got two good recipes to throw down, both of which come from the Sonora Grill, where I serve:

El Jefe:
    Hornitos
    Gran Gala
    Fresh lime juice
    Simple syrup (though I prefer agave nectar instead)
    Splash of brandy
    Served on the rocks with salt on the rim

Sonora Margarita:
    Patron Silver
    Patron Citronge
    Fresh orange juice
    Fresh lime juice
    Splash of Gran Gala

If Patron Silver is too expensive for you, Cazadores or Lunazul blancos taste almost identical and cost a lot less.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Nice. I've been on the 4-2-2 kick for a while, though sometimes I throw down a splash more tequila in the mix (not the sour mix, that shit is nasty ass funk. Its tequila, orange liquor and line juice. Maybe some sugar/syrup, but you really dont' need it).

I say use good tequila, but save on the Triple Sec orange liquor.
    At $10 a bottle for Hiram Walker triple sec, its dirt cheap compared to $35 Cointreau brand triple sec. Take that saved money and put into some mid-priced tequila.
    and forget about the grand marnier. its a waste.

4-2-2
    4 tequila
    2 triple sec
    2 lime juice
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

Whatever happened to using a classy tequila like Juarez?

Quote Originally Posted by AsheanMT View Post
    Ditch the rita mix and make your own. Limes are cheap and really don't take that long to squeeze.
    Got a good recipe that you'll share?!

My two cents is go with Hornitos! Love the flavor too! Salt and lime are key!

Disclaimer: i work for liquor.com.

However, we just ran a pretty great article featuring Rick Bayless, of Mexico-One Plate at a Time and Chicago based restaurants: Frontera Grill and Topoloblampo.

Pretty interesting read, and a great margarita recipe as well as a pretty killer Bacon Guac recipe. You can check it out here: http://liquor.com/liquor/articles/go...-rick-bayless/

Also Margarita recipe, so it isn't just a shameless plug:

SUMMER MARGARITA
    Contributed by Rick Bayless
    INGREDIENTS:
    3 cups Peeled, seeded, and thin-sliced cucumber (1 large or 2 medium cucumbers)
    1.5 cups 100-percent-Agave silver tequila (Milagro or Cazadores)
    1 cup Fresh lime juice
    1 cup Simple syrup*
    Half a lime
    Kosher salt or other coarse salt
    Garnish: Cucumber slices
    Glass: Martini

PREPARATION:
    In a blender, combine the cucumber, tequila, lime juice and simple syrup, and blend until the mixture is as smooth as you can get it. Strain into a pitcher, cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Moisten the rims of three 6-ounce Martini glasses with the cut side of the lime half. Spread the salt on a small plate and upend the glasses into the salt to crust the rims. Fill a cocktail shaker three-quarters of the way with ice and add 1.5 cups of the cucumber mixture. Cover and shake for 10 to 15 seconds. Strain into the prepared glasses. Garnish with cucumber slices. Repeat with the remaining cucumber mixture, to make a total of 9 cocktails.

*Simple Syrup
    1.5 cups Granulated sugar
    1.5 cups Water
    1 tbsp. Fresh lime juice

Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat, cool and store in a closed container, preferably in the refrigerator for optimal freshness.

****edit*** we also are selling (through a retail partner) the new bottle of don julio 1492 with some tasting glasses for $85.00 (145.00 value). pretty great deal on a great tequila. only shipping to like 8 states though (ca, ny, mont, colo, s.dakota(?), io, and i can't remember).

end spam. out.
    "People think complaining about conditions makes them sound discerning, like giving nitpick notes on a fine dining experience. In reality it's just like saying "i'm a shitty cook." -MildBill

Liquor.com

Store bought maragrita mix? That is nowhere near the perfect marg, sorry to say.

Any recommendations for a decent store-bought margarita mix? Yeah, I concede the inferiority, but I'm usually too lazy to locate limes, squeeze them, make simple syrup, etc. When I get home from work, I want something that I can drink within about two minutes. That usually means beer.

Edit: Most store-bought mixes that I've tried are way too sweet or too sour.

2 oz any kinda silver 100% agave tequila will work just fine, cheaper the better.
    1 oz plain old cheap Triple Sec
    1 tbs Agave Syrup
    2 Real Limes
    A spritz of OJ

Shake it on the rocks & pour in a pint glass rimmed with salt
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Store mixes or sugar in margaritas make the Baby Jesus cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    The Silver Coin is the perfect margarita. The Silver Coin uses good silver/blanco tequila, Cointreau and fresh-squeezed juice. Somewhere around 2:1:1 or 3:2:1 proportions according to taste.

I like Milagro Silver for the tequila, and I'd make a case for using good silver or blanco tequilas and if you use all good ingredients, it won't be a waste. No sugar, sodas, mixes, beer or other crap. I don't use reposados or (god forbid) añejos for margs - those are for straight up drinking.

The real key is using fresh squeezed juice, and I like lemons - they're less bitter and more consistant than limes. Try lemons, you won't go back. If you can get Meyer lemons you'll be hooked.

Margaritas aren't supposed to be sweet. They're about the good silver tequila with a little orange (Cointreau) and a bit of lemon juice to accentuate the tequila flavor.

I guess I'm one of the few people that believes blanco tequila is for shooting, responsado is for margs, and anejo is for on ice or straight.

That being said, I have tried lots of tequilas for margs, and my favorite is still the original: Jose Cuervo. For some reason, the taste goes perfectly with the lime and GM (or cointreau), much better than Patron Silver or any other blancos.

My marg:
    Fill a shaker up to the brim with ice
    Pour Cuervo until the shaker about 3/4 full
    Pour fresh lime juice until close to top of shaker
    Top of with orange liqour (GM, triple sec or cointreau, whatever)
    Shake. Then shake more
    Pour into frozen schooner glass (with or without salt-based on preference. I like salt, wife doesn't)

I have been experimenting with adding splash of lemon juice, or sprite or limeades. Jury is out on these connoctions though.

Several of these bad boys and you will be the life of the party!

Quote Originally Posted by s.p.c View Post
    Disclaimer: i work for liquor.com.

However, we just ran a pretty great article featuring Rick Bayless, of Mexico-One Plate at a Time and Chicago based restaurants: Frontera Grill and Topoloblampo.

Pretty interesting read, and a great margarita recipe as well as a pretty killer Bacon Guac recipe. You can check it out here: http://liquor.com/liquor/articles/go...-rick-bayless/

Also Margarita recipe, so it isn't just a shameless plug:

SUMMER MARGARITA
    Contributed by Rick Bayless
    INGREDIENTS:
    3 cups Peeled, seeded, and thin-sliced cucumber (1 large or 2 medium cucumbers)
    1.5 cups 100-percent-Agave silver tequila (Milagro or Cazadores)
    1 cup Fresh lime juice
    1 cup Simple syrup*
    Half a lime
    Kosher salt or other coarse salt
    Garnish: Cucumber slices
    Glass: Martini

PREPARATION:
    In a blender, combine the cucumber, tequila, lime juice and simple syrup, and blend until the mixture is as smooth as you can get it. Strain into a pitcher, cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Moisten the rims of three 6-ounce Martini glasses with the cut side of the lime half. Spread the salt on a small plate and upend the glasses into the salt to crust the rims. Fill a cocktail shaker three-quarters of the way with ice and add 1.5 cups of the cucumber mixture. Cover and shake for 10 to 15 seconds. Strain into the prepared glasses. Garnish with cucumber slices. Repeat with the remaining cucumber mixture, to make a total of 9 cocktails.

*Simple Syrup
    1.5 cups Granulated sugar
    1.5 cups Water
    1 tbsp. Fresh lime juice

Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat, cool and store in a closed container, preferably in the refrigerator for optimal freshness.
    Bayless FTW. This sounds awesome.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

on the rocks

Another fan of max ice and salted rim.

Fill pint with ice, add ~ 2 shots of hornitos
    Squeeze maybe half a lemon & half a lime
    ~ 1oz of cointreau
    throw it in a shaker, shake, salt the rim put ingredients back in pint, cram with ice again
    Drink

Another good one - 2+:1 of Squirt:Tequila with salted rim and a few lime squeezes
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Adding corona or ginger ale makes them very good.

dickey - I used to go the Sonora Grill weekly and get ceviche. Then they started weighing the ingredients and cut the portions down to about 1/4 the amount of fish.

Sadly, haven't been back since.

I like the lime/tomatillo salsa though. Yum.

Arrow Key

Yeh agreed, bottled "Mixer" is a fail, for home-made Margi's.

You can get really good Key Lime Juice in a bottle, from Nellie & Joes.
    Bev-Mo has it. http://www.keylimejuice.com/about.htm
    More of a sherbet-like kick than regular Limes.

You guys want to get wasted with just one drink??
    We prefer using Triple-Sec that is only about 15% (Hirams, Bols), not 40% (Grand Marnier, Cointreau).
    Prolong the pleasure, and have another one!
    I had a Margi at Roberto's in Mammoth made with the Patron Citron. It was crap!

We like Tequila that's "around" $20 a bottle. They've all been fine.
    So Milagro, 1800, for Silver. Cazadores, Hornitas (Sauza) or Distinqt (TJ"s brand) for Reposada.
    The only Tequila we hated was a Sauza "Hacienda" Reposada.

We keep it simple: 2xTequila, 1xTriple Sec, 1xKey Lime Juice
    What's with that Rick Bayliss recipe? A saucepan? Give me a break, I just want a cold drink!

At home, it has to be Frozen, and we like fruit.
    So we always get as many (Organic) Strawberries as we can, and throw those in too...Hah!

...and the "glass" is better if it's plastic...and big!

Finally, turn on the Neon Parrot, and it's Party Time

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Pretty much all the recipes I have read here make me think about puking.

Except this:

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post

I like 3:2:1, but it makes a pretty strong drink. Usually I will shake it with ice for the appropriate period of time, then strain it into the glass.
    I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone

I'm a huge fan of the classic 3:2:1 margarita, (3) parts tequila with (2) parts Cointreau and (1) one part fresh lime juice.

Buy a lime squeezer if you're making a bunch or plan to make ceviche ever in your life.

http://www.cooking.com/products/shpr...=FROOGLE214745

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the classic 3:2:1 margarita, (3) parts tequila with (2) parts Cointreau and (1) one part fresh lime juice.

Buy a lime squeezer if you're making a bunch or plan to make ceviche ever in your life.
    We buy a couple big bags of lemons & limes from Costco and juice them into an ice cube tray. Freeze and transfer then into freezer proof bags when solid. Cubes end up being 1/2 oz each. We can make cocktails any time we want without having to have fresh fruit around all the time.