Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Snow related depression. Documented?

Maybe it's because i am not familiar with a season ending, this being my first. But I have found myself in a funk, a mild depression of sorts that directly correlates with my recent and abrupt decision to stop snowboarding for the season.

I was lucky enough to get a very full year in at the village and even took a week long trip to SLC to cope with our lifts shutting down (and was even blessed with the biggest (14") powder day of the season for me) yet can still not bear the thought of summer right now. I know there is hiking to be had, or i could go to NZ or the South Americas but it all seems trivial at the moment because i know neither is a full-time option at the moment.

I do find solace in the fact that i am already making arrangements for this to be my last summer for a while, so i pulled off the proverbial band-aid and ended my season mentally (and satisfied) while making promises to myself of cross-training and healthy living for next year.

There is still this hole though, the one waking up every morning and getting on the start bus filled, the one filled by getting a first gondola and racing up to thunder and beyond, or riding in the worst conditions possible and loving it because you realize the privilege it is to be a part of this sport, the hole filled by the fellowship of like-minded individuals some of whom you could always count on for a hiking buddy or to spot a good landing, the hole filled by the first hour in bed every night waiting for the sound of flakes on the roof or deciding if some random line or feature would be good the next day, the hole filled by the complete and total surrender to winter.

I was wondering if this has ever been discussed or even documented as a reason for depression(and can i get free drugs out of it)?

also, to you guys with like 10+ seasons and so on, how do you do it every year? what gets you through it? any advice?
    "I think people resist freedom because they're afraid of the unknown. But it's ironic....That unknown was once very well known. It's where our souls belong....The only solution is to confront them--confront yourself--with the greatest fear imaginable. Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison

reverse seasonal affective disorder?

solution: don't stop skiing... keep skiing
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Try Timberline, Oregon. Fly into Portland and it's a 1.5 hour drive to the lodge. Stay at the lodge or in Government Camp and ski every day. They close for a week of maintenance in September, otherwise they are open all year. Plus the talent up there is inspiring and incredible (many national ski teams). The runs get a little repetitive as it is a glacier. I would also suggest taking a few all day lessons. Nothing like taking a giant step forward in skill while most are wakeboarding or golfing. There are also a lot of hikes you can do for some great corn snow. Plus you can white water raft or golf in the afternoon.
    Problem solved.

Get one of these:

Snowboard till July, and yes you can do it full time!

Get a mountain bike. While railing tight singletrack may not be quite as sweet as waist-deep blower, it's a really fun way to spend the summer and fall months in the mountains.

Yeah we've talked about it a few times on the forum. I dug this piece up fromthe old powmag board. Endless posted this about the phenomenon (5-21-01) six years ago: http://web.archive.org/web/200106181...ML/002279.html

I just called the ticket window and found out that Snowbird officially ceased chairlift operations yesterday, May 20th, 2001. This is seriously disturbing news and raises my concern for the well-being of not only myself, but for so many others on this board with whom I've become so close since finding this Powdermag board last Monday.
    Seasonal affective disorder (S.A.D.) is recognized in the medical community as a transient mental disability afflicting millions.

This disorder presents as depression in the late fall and winter partly from decreases in exposure to beneficial light waves---less time outdoors in sunlight and less time engaged in sunlit activities.

I'll be bold and announce it here. I am afflicted with R.S.A.D.--Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder. There, I said it. Great Scottie has known me for years and he will independently confirm it. He, like many of us, is unfortunately also diseased.
    With this.
    No, not that.

I'm sure many of us on this board suffer from this same emotional and intellectual curse. Through no fault of our own nature has dealt us a cruel blow. The emergence of summer instills us with depression as the resorts close, the snowfields are taken from us, and the repulsive heat of summer approaches. We sufferers become lethargic, vacant, worthless blobs of our former selves with little to no purpose in life and certainly meager productivity. Every year I try not to take it personally and even make feeble attempts to fill the void with other activities, to no avail.

I could feel the downward spiral begin taking it's toll the moment the ticket window lady spoke those words. It is a hideous thing to witness. I would not wish it upon anyone. I think you all know what I am talking about. We need help.

I propose federal recognition of this severe form of depression. In addition to assisted outdoor counseling, I propose that federal funds and programs be made available for RSAD's to be flown together to special rehabilitative locations for our own unique treatment. These locations could be set up let's say, oh I don't know, maybe Mt. Hood, or Whistler/BC, or even Chile or Australia if need be (perhaps depending on severity).

This is no laughing matter. Someone else with more strength will have to take on the cause from this point. I can feel the life being sucked from me as I type, knowing that no skilifts will run in Utah for the next 5.43 months.

For years now, at my own expense, I have been forced to fly elsewhere or climb (often by myself) local mountains to reach rapidly melting snowfields for a transfusion of skiing---sometimes yielding only a humiliating "quickie" in the late summer months.

This is not right. This is wrong.

All of you who agree and have the strength to type a couple of words to any political or medical connections you may have, please do so before it is too late........

To avoid any confusion betwixt my ski bud GreatScottie and any other Scotts, here is a recent pic of him: http://web.archive.org/web/200106181...cott-jump.html
    ((.
    .))
    ((.
    .))
    "Skiing: it IS all that": http://web.archive.org/web/200106181...skistreak.com/

there is still skiing/boarding to bad had if you work for it (where the real riding begins), but i've personally found that if i get in a full year, i'm really ready for the next season to come along.

is sounds like you need to get into some other activities that get you just as (or nearly as) psyched as you are about riding. it's not all about cross-training; in fact, if you label it as such, then that almost guarantees it is more work than play.

try mtn biking, road biking, kayaking, trail running, rock climbing, etc. if you live in this valley year-round, you are well aware that the seasons dictate what we can do (i.e., we're not in a place where you can climb rock year-round) -- so take what you are given. drink from the fire-hose and get your fill of, say, rock climbing over the summer and you'll be ready to put away your rack just in time for ski season...and you won't burn out.

if you're one-dimensional (or have a short year), then i can see how one can be left wanting more. it's pretty easy to get in 100-150 days around here, even in a 'marginal' year. that doesn't leave me with a huge desire to go to the southern hemisphere (although in the past i have been to NZ).

enjoy the stuff that you can't do during the winter. for me, an injury last year actually allowed me to find a new activity that i'm pretty psyched on.

too me alpine climbing and peak bagging easily rivals BC snowboarding.

If it's not in here, it should be.

dankhucker Guest
    more threads about pointless shit seem to pop up on tgr when the season ends, and or the snow sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by ski_pdx View Post
    Try Timberline, Oregon.
    Try Timberline if you want to enjoy laughing at top shelf gapers. Granted, the Palmer lifts gets you pretty high up where some slush still exists year-round, and the park rats have their camp and all...but it's so flat that you'll probably leave with your stoke and depression at status quo.

Just switch activity tracks like everyone else. By summer's end you'll be wistful and whining about that too.

Get a mountain bike, they're pretty damn fun and relatively similar to skiing. You can go on week long tours or rip down mountain sides. Living in New Jersey, the local season is ultra-short and I can't necessarily drive to VT, NH, or ME every weekend. I find that there is plenty of good mountain biking even in this highly populated state. There are plenty of wilderness trails for me to ride on. And for even more of a skiing-like experience, you can climb a mountain and barrel down it on your bike. Of course in Jersey, these mountains are more of gently rolling hills, but you still get going weaving in and out of trees. Basicly, biking in the off-season helps to temporarily quench my thirst to ski.

I suffer from this disorder as well. especially this year where I'm just getting strong again after injury. I should have had at least 120 days by noe, instead, I've got 35ish.

Mountain biking is indeed good stke though, I enjoy ALMOST as much as skiing. Given the choice though, it's be endless winter for me too. Skiing is so much a part of me that with the end of each season, I have a total identity crisis, I don't know who I am anymore. I practically switch friends every year for my moutain bikeing posse.

It's bad. But there's always next year.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Don't worry. I'm depressed too....from skiing in shorts and a tee.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    Try Timberline if you want to enjoy laughing at top shelf gapers.
    Strange, I was training with the US Ski Team up there last summer. I guess I now know what qualifies as "top shelf gapers."

Whitewater kayaking is really the only logical solution.

Strange, I was training with the US Ski Team up there last summer. I guess I now know what qualifies as "top shelf gapers."
    Wow, you must really kill it.

It's flat. If the US Ski Team could ski Mammoth in summer, they wouldn't give Timberline any attention.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    Wow, you must really kill it.

It's flat. If the US Ski Team could ski Mammoth in summer, they wouldn't give Timberline any attention.
    I don't think anyone would say I kill it. Just giving props to a local hill.

And if I could have sex with Jessica Alba every time, I would.
    But, what does that prove?
    Last edited by ski_pdx; 05-04-2007 at 04:11 PM.

I'd don't kill. Just giving props to my local hill.

Fuck off.
    Ok.
    Guess I won't be seein' you around.

I'll be hikin' Superbowl Sunday if you want to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Get a mountain bike. While railing tight singletrack may not be quite as sweet as waist-deep blower, it's a really fun way to spend the summer and fall months in the mountains.
    agreed. nothing comes close to skiing pow, but the way the body moves and processes info while railing single track is the closest I have come to skiing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

+++++++++++ Vibes for the snow depressed mags +++++++++++

summer skiing. stryn, norway, 25th May.

or kill yourself.

or wait until the next season comes...
    The beatings will continue until morale will improve.

It's funny, but I didn't notice the end-of-season blues until I moved out a ski town. During my first Winter of not living in a ski town I noticed the smell of Spring bummed me out because it was usually a sign that the ski season was about to end. People all around me were getting excited for the rebirth of Spring and for me it felt like the end.

Snow IS my white powder.

When I don't get it I jones for it.

And I am so very happy when I get it.

So yeah, I agree with the premise of this thread and think it is a real phenomena.

I hope to ski sunday. It's my medicine. I may even lift my personal ban on Meadows. (Wish I had my touring gear back.)