Differences in Marmot Windshirts?

So, I finally got the famous Marmot Driclime Windshirt on clearance - the solid-color version with the little black outline around the chest pocket. And I swear, the thing seems thicker than my friends'; still great for layering and all, but more insulation than I'd pictured. Am I imagining it, or did Marmot mess with the amount of insulation in these at some point?

The original ones didn't really have 'insulation', just the interior microfiber layer and the exterior windproof but breathable nylon layer. Is this different than yours?

As far as I know the only difference betweent the "Original" wind shirt and just the wind shirt are the new one has pockets and different color schemes. Insulation should be the same. I will check it out tomorrow.

Insulation is probably the wrong word; it is more of a microfiber layer inside the nylon shell. But it seems like a thicker layer of it than I was expecting.

I thought I was probably just imagining it, but then someone else commented that it looked thicker than theirs.

I'm not familiar with the differences in the driclime versions, but I got a 2 tone (no black outline) on clearance this winter. It is easily my favorite piece now. I freakin love this thing.
    SLOWER TRAFFIC
    KEEP RIGHT
    http://shifter102.blogspot.com/

These things are deceptively warm for their weight. I have a 2-toner from many years ago and the body also has that thickish mini-fleecy liner underneath the nylon shell.

As a result, I don't wear mine when it's warm in the spring. Throw a short-sleeved smartwool underneath though and it's perfect for cloudy day fall hikes and winter cross-country missions.
    Do you by chance happen to own a large, yellowish, very flat cat?

where did you score it on clearance?

I think it was backcountrygear.com. I ordered one from the real backcountry.com, but a few days after the order was confirmed and paid, they emailed me to say oops, we don't actually have any in stock. They were pleasant about it, though, and refunded me promptly so not a big deal. I think I paid $70 or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by komo View Post
    where did you score it on clearance?
    Sorry, I could have been more specific, I saw it in Wild Iris (climbing shop) in Lander, WY. It was like $50 out the door. Worth every cent. I doubt they have any more, it was months ago.

My two main roles for this jacket is a mid layer under a shell on super cold days, i just throw the shell on my pack whil I skin. It also works well on warm days as a outer layer. It's surprisingly warm, yet a little airy, with the pit vents that are always open.
    SLOWER TRAFFIC
    KEEP RIGHT
    http://shifter102.blogspot.com/

I have this thing and I don't find a use for it, except to keep the sweat close to my body. It is great at that.

too bad for you, it's the best piece of clothing I own.

I don't think I understand how to use it. Maybe it is too warm for my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by JKon View Post
    So, I finally got the famous Marmot Driclime Windshirt on clearance - the solid-color version with the little black outline around the chest pocket. And I swear, the thing seems thicker than my friends'; still great for layering and all, but more insulation than I'd pictured. Am I imagining it, or did Marmot mess with the amount of insulation in these at some point?
    Back in the day, the Windshirt was known to be the best, most versatile piece of clothing for many avid outdoor junkies. Over the years, the designs changed. They added hand pockets, and the driclime lining itself got thicker over the years. Eventually, it was not the same jacket as it were 10 years ago. This past fall, Marmot figured it out and brought back the "Original Driclime Windshirt", which has the thinner Driclime, one single pocket over the chest, and a longer, straight-tail hem for the purpose of tucking in. The new "Original" retails for $85. The now older style windshirt got a name upgrade to "DriClime Jacket". It still has the hand pockets, heavier driclime lining, and retails for $100.

It is my guess you bought the jacket style, which still has the hand pockets. It is a bit warmer than the Original Windshirt because it does have the slightly thicker driclime lining.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Disclaimer: I'm a Marmot rep

AHA!!! I KNEW there was a difference! Amazing that no one outside of Marmot seems to know about this (I've asked a lot of people). I thought the "original" part just referred to the styling.

Thanks for the inside scoop, Jax!

Quote Originally Posted by descender View Post
    I don't think I understand how to use it. Maybe it is too warm for my setup.
    The explanation Jax gave might explain it, I think I have the older one. Also, some people just don't go well with some gear. I just find it the most versatile piece of clothing i own. A light jacket, so great to take along on hikes where you think it might get cool, comfy as a mid layer, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Back in the day, the Windshirt was known to be the best, most versatile piece of clothing for many avid outdoor junkies. Over the years, the designs changed. They added hand pockets, and the driclime lining itself got thicker over the years. Eventually, it was not the same jacket as it were 10 years ago. This past fall, Marmot figured it out and brought back the "Original Driclime Windshirt", which has the thinner Driclime, one single pocket over the chest, and a longer, straight-tail hem for the purpose of tucking in. The new "Original" retails for $85. The now older style windshirt got a name upgrade to "DriClime Jacket". It still has the hand pockets, heavier driclime lining, and retails for $100.

It is my guess you bought the jacket style, which still has the hand pockets. It is a bit warmer than the Original Windshirt because it does have the slightly thicker driclime lining.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Disclaimer: I'm a Marmot rep
    Just looked up the "new" old design. Only bummer is that my driclime (purchased maybe 5-6 years ago) has a chest pocket with a zipper that runs vertically along (next to) the main zipper, this design has a chest pocket that has a horizontal zipper.

The reason this design is not as good is because of the driclime's role as a sometimes mid-layer. As a mid-layer, the horizontal zipper pocket is not very usable when wearing a shell over it. With the vertical zipper chest pocket, you can unzip the shell and easily access that pocket. It's where I usually keep my cell phone when skiing.

Something to consider, should you talk to the design team.

MtLion should be getting my original (circa 1993) Dryclime any day now. I loved this jacket. Wore it as an outer garment originally and later as a mid layer. I also had a Dryclime vest that a GF lost at Meadows and later a Moonstone copy of that vest.

When the spring sales commence, I'll be buying a new, albeit size large, windshirt as well as its cognate vest.
    Your dog just ate an avocado!

Heh. I have last season's "windshirt" with 2 handpockets and a vertical zipper chest pocket. It was thicker than I expected too. Now I know the complete lineage.

That said, I still tour exclusively in this thing, but go silkweight tee underneath if it's 15F or above, and heavyweight capilene if below. As many have said, best piece of clothing I own.
    bodies be all up on my behind

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Just looked up the "new" old design. Only bummer is that my driclime (purchased maybe 5-6 years ago) has a chest pocket with a zipper that runs vertically along (next to) the main zipper, this design has a chest pocket that has a horizontal zipper.

The reason this design is not as good is because of the driclime's role as a sometimes mid-layer. As a mid-layer, the horizontal zipper pocket is not very usable when wearing a shell over it. With the vertical zipper chest pocket, you can unzip the shell and easily access that pocket. It's where I usually keep my cell phone when skiing.

Something to consider, should you talk to the design team.
    I absolutely agree on the vertical zipper for the chest pocket. It is how the W's Original is, and I frequently access that pocket while skiing. I also attach my iPod shuffle to that pocket. I guess Marmot wanted to differentiate M's from W's, but that is a good point to bring up at the next sales meeting.

I'd like to add my name to list of people who consider this one of the finest pieces of clothing I own. After having recently moved I thought I had lost mine, but was psyched to find it lurking in a random box in the basement. I have the old school, thin liner with vertical pocket and now that I've found it again, I wear it all the time. It a great piece for x-country skiing!
    "Don't let the bastards wear you down"- RFO

Fuck, I miss mine. It is awesome as an outer layer for skinning/hiking/biking etc, and as a midlayer at the area. It is the bomb because at the time, before soft shells were all the rage, it was the best way to have a midlayer that shed snow, so when you ate shit you could shake the snow out of your jacket without having it stuck to fleece all day.

Left it in some dude's truck hitching to Snowbowl, and despite notes left all over town the fucker never returned it.