Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skiing/Backpacking with a Baby?

So, as many of you already know, the wife is seven months pregnant.We've talked a lot about continuing our skiing and backpacking with our newborn son and have recieved some very disaproving looks from folks we tell this to. We've been told that it is a VERY bad idear to take him into the BC with us even though we fully intend on choosing much safer and shorter routes when we go. Now don't get me wrong, we are def not going into avi terrain but instead talking about late spring skiing on corn in glacier national park long after the avi's have stopped, followed by our typical summers of two to three day backpacking trips throughout western Montana. I am just curious what peeps think about this. The wife grew up this way and feels its a great idea as do I (her dad has told me stories of baby Ash strapped to his back and giggling with glee as they descend). Any thought and advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Negatron on the skiing, but the hiking seems alright, as long as it really is hiking.

Skiing just sounds irresponsible.

My parents hiked all over the Cascades with me stuffed into a backpack. It was a large external frame pack and a seat built into the top of it. Apparently I loved it.

I know friends that have fully backpacked with their baby (starting at less than 1 yr). Dont know why that would be a problem.....except you mastering the logistics.

Skiing? Hmmm. I am intrigued by this question too. Not a dad yet, but will be eventually here. I personally, think I could pull off some turns in a safe way.....but know that people would think I was being irresponsible. Most people think of skiing as being dangerous.....but for many of here it is more like walking (I skied 25 days with no ACL....just knowing I couldnt crash....thinking the baby thing would be similar).
    Donjoy to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    I know friends that have fully backpacked with their baby (starting at less than 1 yr). Dont know why that would be a problem.....except you mastering the logistics.

Skiing? Hmmm. I am intrigued by this question too. Not a dad yet, but will be eventually here. I personally, think I could pull off some turns in a safe way.....but know that people would think I was being irresponsible. Most people think of skiing as being dangerous.....but for many of here it is more like walking (I skied 25 days with no ACL....just knowing I couldnt crash....thinking the baby thing would be similar).
    Thats what I've been thinking. It would be using skiing for covering distance as opposed to trying to hike through snow. No big lines but gentle hills and simple traverses. I know i've fallen on worse when walking. I think it can be done safely. But i hope nobody calls the child abuse hotline when I come down off snow field.

Hmmnn...

The subject was beaten to death last year at this time.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...+backpack+baby

And yes, I skied with my kids in a backpack- they loved it.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

It seems to me that the potential downside of skiing with the kid in a pack is not worth the upside, but sometimes you have to make your own calls. I've certainly seen people do it. I've seen people jogging through traffic with kids in those racy strollers plenty of times, that's probably more dangerous overall.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It seems to me that the potential downside of skiing with the kid in a pack is not worth the upside, but sometimes you have to make your own calls. I've certainly seen people do it. I've seen people jogging through traffic with kids in those racy strollers plenty of times, that's probably more dangerous overall.
    I don't see how its soooo dangerous!?! I think the first drive home from the hospital will be far more dangerous.

I just said I don't think it's soooo dangerous, but that the potential consequences if something does go wrong are huge enough that I wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't condemn you for making a different choice either, as long as you took it real easy.

And yeah that first ride home from the hospital is pretty gut-wrenching.

I see people skiing with kids somewhat often here...The key is to know your ability, ski more gentle terrain and avoid crowded days. The thing I would worry about most is other people. I will definitelty be skiing groomers with my kid (in the future) when it is not crowded.
    The backpack thing is what I don't know about either. It seems the kiddo would be a little too exposed. They make these things call 'baby bjorns' (sp?) where the kid is strapped to your chest (either frontward or backwards). I think putting him in one of these and zipping your coat up to his chin would be the best way to go. At least if you do fall or get hit he would be much more easily protected.
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife

I'm planning on using a sling that works very much like you are talking about.

I have two kids and have skied a bit with the pack.

At the ski resort its sketchy as they'll require you to have a pack vs a front loaded so getting on and off the lift is a bit scary. Then as said above I worry more about the other skiers than crashing since you'll want to ski at maximum control. I didn't like it at all.

Touring is no problem as long as you're capable of ensuring you stay up and not eating shit with littles on the back. The terrain you describe should be AOK in my book.

One important consideration is keeping them warm. You'll be generating heat, but their sitting there prone on your back, sometimes with the pack limiting circulation. I can't imagine the guilt if the little one got frostbite.

Lots of people think skiing with a baby strapped to you is ok. I have seen a dead baby, crushed by the weight of its own mother; it was not a pretty scene, especially the mother howling as the baby was taken away from her. Guess I know where I stand on this one...

I'm with Mulletizer on this. Is the risk worth the reward? Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. The worst case scenario is unimaginable. Sure it would be fun exposing your child to all the things you love but you are now a parent and responsible for the well being of your child. The what if is what has scared me. God forbid something happens and you lose your child. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it. A child is the most precious gift given to you and I couldn't imagine losing that for any reason.

When your child is born you will have a whole new outlook on life.

I'm not suggesting placing your child in a bubble but don't expose him any danger either. Wait until they are a bit older and not a fragile infant. Besides packing out dirty diapers sucks.

Assuming your heading to high elevations... taking a baby there who can't tell you how they are feeling is not too bright. Assuming your staying roughly at the same elevation where the baby is raised there probably shouldn't be a problem as long as they are properly sheltered, hydrated, etc.

One thing to consider is that their neck is really not strong enough for the pack until at least 6 months old. My son was at least 8 months before we too him out in the pack for just a hike. As much as I would love to ski with him in it, the downside is much greater than my personal upside.

We are still worried about the cold for him in the pack for snowshoeing, and he is now 16 months old now.

How many of you were in a pack as a kid? I know i was...

My dad used to ski with me in the pack, and people used to say shit to him about how irresponsible it was, even though it was only going on greens and blues. They still have pictures of me in the pack- all smiles.

I was actually talking about this today on the lift, and I'm glad he did it, I think its really cool.

Granted, I was about a year to a year and a half old at the time...I think.

I wouldn't ski with them in a pack, but I used to pull my daughter in this plastic sled while I x-countried. That was fun and the fresh air for both of us was great... (You'll find yourself house bound a bit after they're born.)

PS- I think that they don't recommend backpacks for babies until they can sit up and hold their own head weight.. Good luck!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    Negatron on the skiing...just sounds irresponsible.
    This come from a guy with a pit bull
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    This come from a guy with a pit bull
    What the hell does that have to do with baby backpacking? Bitter about something?
    Last edited by yentna; 01-28-2007 at 12:03 PM.
    This touchy-feely Kumbaya shit has got to go.

Mntlion want to borrow a baby pack, a cabbage patch kid and strap on extra avi gear to it and hit up the Dive... "Yeah I got a partner, yeah he has his own beacon!!!" Just for the shock factor. I say go for it but keep in mind the whole fact that the kid can't express itself, sunscreen, sunglasses and heat regulation are all important factors to keep in mind. We have a rural legend around Banff that tells of a kid who lost both feet to frostbite following a poorly insulated x-country ski with his parents.

Have fun.

PS I have noticed that most of my friends who reproduce do drop of the face of the earth for a few months after the birth... both parent seem to become house bound and attached to the screalling, hungry pooping thing.

We don't plan on using a backpack until he can support his own neck and we would most certainly take ALL NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS in as far as protection from elements, altitude, and would choose our route as one that would most certainly be mellow (by our standards). We do a lot of backpacking!! Much more than average families. Our life IS backpacking and skiing and because of that we have extensive experience from crossing thousands of miles of wilderness on human power. When I'm refering to skiing with baby I should clarify that I have NO intention of taking him to a resort but instead doing our typical early hiking season trails of no more than 10 miles, many of which are covered in snow til late june. So, the skiing I'm talking about is really touring with the ocassional "Honey watch him while I go to the top of the ridge and ski back down!". I don't think there will be any problem with it. I feel much more comfortable (in regards to falling) when I'm on ski's than when on foot.
    Last edited by AsheanMT; 01-28-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Edit: We also plan on overnight trips. ya thats right! we're gonna camp with a baby! oooooh aren't we such bad parents!!

Foothills of the VT mountain where it never snows
    This is a personal decision and you don't need to justify yourselves to anyone. I think your son is incredibly lucky to have two parents who want to share their love of the outdoors. I'm sure you will all enjoy yourselves and make some wonderful memories.
    Raise 'em Jay. And remember: Safety Third!

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

Once our daughter was around 6 mos, I'd put her in the backpack and x-c... just had to be able to out ski the packs wolverines and jackles that live in the Boston burbs...

Seriously, it is lots of fun going out when they're young, hiking, biking, etc.

PS- Getting ready to go skating with her now...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!