Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lance is dirty.

as in, he needs a shower. Pee-uww.

Austin proud, bitches!
    Umbrellas are for fags.

It was cool seeing lance at mile 11 in BKLYN, behind my wife.
    She ran a 2:52:48 which put her 28th female and 10th US female finisher. I'm so happy for her right now.
    Harvest the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by L8APX View Post
    She ran a 2:52:48 which put her 28th female and 10th US female finisher. I'm so happy for her right now.
    and she beat lance!!

Hey what about the other marathons albeit slight slower mags running the marathon. How was you guys and girl experince?

North of South, South of North, West of East
    Fuggin' huge props to her mang! That's a finish to be proud of.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

That's awesome man, congratulations.

As for Lance, why is everyone making such a big deal of this? He was doing this for fun, and did pretty f'ing well for a first marathon (especially considering his preparation). He's got a huge engine from his previous career and that helped him. He's not going to be winning big marathons or triathlons any time soon (or ever), but he's having a good time. Methinks the media needs to find something else to do, like COVER THE WINNERS. For the first time ever a Brazilian won the race. I'm pretty sure it's the first time a South American has won too. He held off two damn good Africans in the closing miles. Let's hear about him.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Big ups to your wife!

It's amazing to think that Lance beat me by about 24 minutes, and more than 2000 people between us. It's a HUGE race.

My wife said Lance looked "really big" and ran with a very unnatural cadence. Very flat footed. In the New York Times today, Lance said he is about 25 pounds heavier than he was during the tour. New York's a tough marathon, so anyone who goes under 3:00 is running fast.

Excellent day for a run, though. Sun was out, cool, but not cold, great entusiastic crowds. Well played, New York.

Edit - Also, Ed Viesturs ran a 3:15. He was probably slowed by the thick air.
    Last edited by Dips; 11-06-2006 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    As for Lance, why is everyone making such a big deal of this? .
    It's a big deal to me for a couple reasons. I was an endurance swimmer and did the 4 mile open water national swims and 10 mile a day training sessions. I also did a lot of running but never got close to running a marathon or those sub 7 minute splits. So the idea of crossing over from one endurance sport to another impressed me. Even though cycling and running are somewhat similar.

Also, the demands on Lance's time must be intense. To have that kind of lifestyle and set aside the time to train and be very competitve for an amateur says a lot about the man.

That's incredible! How much training has she been doing?

hero worship is good

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    hmm, 868 faster runners? not at all special. Now back to your hero worship. Maybe something inventive next time dudes.

My Dad, all 78 years of him, is going through weekly chemo and daily radiation treatments, which are no day at the beach. I gave him Lance's book to read, which he did at chemo, and it's made a difference. He swims almost everyday plays tennis a few days a week and plans to be skiing with us over Christmas. Trite as it sounds, Lance has shown the way for a lot of cancer patients.

So,yeah, hero worship it is.

And by the way, high level cycling and marathon running are very different diciplines, so sub 3 hours is pretty special.

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    Methinks the media needs to find something else to do, like COVER THE WINNERS.
    The media covers what sells ads for them, and unfortunately, not as many people care about the winners as they do some guy named Lance who ran it.

It's the way the world works.

Same reason the media covers death, gore, tragedy, and pain in Iraq. Because that shit sells. The happy stories don't.

With help like this.. I might break 4 hours:

Armstrong, who relied on the support of teammates to win a record seven straight Tour de France titles, will be paced by former marathon champions Alberto Salazar and Joan Benoit Samuelson, as well as reigning Olympic 1,500- and 5,000-meter gold medalist Hicham El Guerrouj, in the New York race.

"I wouldn't do it for anybody else,'' said Salazar, the last American winner of the New York City Marathon, way back in 1982. "I just wanted to spend some time with him.''

The 48-year-old Salazar will run the first 10 miles of the race with Armstrong. The 49-year-old Samuelson, who won the first Olympic women's marathon at the 1984 Los Angeles Games, will run the next 10. El Guerrouj then will do 6 miles with Armstrong, who will be on his own for the final stretch of the 26.2-mile race.

The three will try to keep Armstrong, who ran triathlons as a teenager but never has attempted a marathon, to a 7-minute-per-mile pace.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I think it's pretty good but to be honest I expected more. Under three hours is nothing to sniff at but even though it was 'for fun' I thought his competitive spirit would have led to MORE training then 16miles as his longest run. Running (weight bearing) at 25lbs over his competitive cycling weight (non weight bearing) is also huge. Bottom line is if the guy can actually do a competitive event 'for fun' and relax enough to pack on some needed weight AND run NY in sub 3hours all the while still supporting cancer foundations and endorsements it's still amazing stuff.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    The media covers what sells ads for them, and unfortunately, not as many people care about the winners as they do some guy named Lance who ran it.

It's the way the world works.

Same reason the media covers death, gore, tragedy, and pain in Iraq. Because that shit sells. The happy stories don't.
    Yeah, I know, just trying to blow of some steam. I understand he's an inspiration to many, he is to me as well (I do not have the life circumstances connection like some). I'm just tired of reading about either how awesome it is or how bad it is because he can do better. I know the media covers it because it's what sells, I just wish the the hero/celebrity worship wasn't so much as to make the celebrationof running/life/whatever it is tainted to me.

So yeah, I'm just bitching. I'll stop talking about it now.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That's incredible! How much training has she been doing?
    This is her 5th marathon. She has been doing the whole up to 65-70 miles stuff. Up next is Houston in Jan. 07 where she hopes to run sub 2:47:00 to make the olympic qualifier in boston.

Thanks to all for the congrates! We're so pumped right now.
    Harvest the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by runethechamp View Post
    Armstrong is a pretty impressive athlete, but 2:59:37 is no special time.
    You must be familiar with marathons and endurance training.....your right, for someone of his caliber I was expecting him to run around 2:45 at the very least, with little running prep.

Ive run 3 marathons (and Im a skier who like many of you has had multiple surgeries, not a runner) and my fastest was 3:40 but could have run 10 mins faster if not for the fact that I blew it by chasing my nordic skiier friend who was flying start to finish and i ran out of gas quick with 6 miles to go.

I remember my nordic skiier friend telling me one time his fastest marathon was about 2:50 and he also wasnt even close to a cancer-crushing, 6 time Tour DeFrance freak of nature.

The real heroes of marathons are the non-runner types that struggle mentally and phsicaly and take like 7 hours to finish and usually are crawling over the finish line- those are the ones that are gutsy and impressive and those are the ones the cameras and glory should be on.

Armstrong is still impressive though.

Oh and BTw...Armstrong is qouted as saying something like "blah blah blah...that was the hardest physical thing I have done...blah blah blah."- that is pure bs or maybe he has a short memory span- the 3 I ran wee definitely difficult but not the hardest thing ive done and ive never had cancer, never won the Tour 6 times, never been thru a messy divorce, and probably most challenging to him, never was involved with sherrit crowe- HYPE
    Last edited by Booger; 11-06-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Lance rocks. Save the hate for your vote tomorrow.

I always hated running. But I bike a lot. Can't imagine running now. My legs are different after all that pedaling. I'd have shin splints in 100 feet. I am a bit surprised that he didn't at least do a 26 after he said he was going to do this some time ago, but, hey, he's a busy guy. Saving the world from cancer and all that. He has political ambitions, I'm sure. Hey, if Arnold is Gov'na, why not Lance in Texas?

Well, they both are obviously dopers and boosters!

(And neither are particularly articulate)

If Big Jan Ullrich hadn't come in at 2:59:38, Lance would have had a better time.

I would love to see Lance start doing Tri's again. I raced against him 2 times before he made the switchover to cycling and he was a freaking incredible triathlete back in the day. He reminded me a bit of Mike Pigg meets Dave Scott (for those of you who can go that far back ) If he really focused on Tris I bet he could go sub 9 next year at Kona. 2 years might be more realisitic though.

L8APX, congrats to your wife. Thats sweet as mate!!
    パウダーバカ!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
    He had the 869th fastest time among the 38,368 official entrants. NO SPECIAL TIME? Did you run a marathon before? ...
    Never ran a marathon, but I can still say it's nothing special. It's a very solid time, but with his "incredible engine" he would have to do better for his time to be considered special.

As a comparison, when people do their (more or less) mandatory military service in Norway, they get to run the 30k, in uniform and military boots, with a backpack that weighs 24.5 lbs (including your gun). Some cross country skier supposedly has the record in this race with a finishing time of less than 2 hours, and I consider that to be impressive, especially since he wasn't a runner.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Remember, this wasn't Lance being competitive... this was him running a marathon to finish it. The fact that he never ran more than 16 miles at once should tell you that. With all that he does outside of training, I don't know how he even has time to do that much training.

That's a fair assessment Lloyd, and I bet he could better his time a lot if he trained more for it. My comments are more directed towards 4matic who said the 3 hour marathon was unbelievable.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

NY Times reported today that Lance is going to run again in the 2007 marathon.

how lucky of him to get picked in the lottery both years. I entered both years and was picked neither!

Anyway, bitterness towards fringe celebrity benefits aside, he attributes the difficulty in last year's race not to cardio or pulmonary troubles, but rather shin splints that developed into a stress fracture - and kept him from running for six months.

his goal, again, is to run 3 hours.

-steve

What's really interesting is how out of shape being a first world nation has made us. There was an anthropology study done in Sri Lanka, i believe, that had an entire peasant village run a marathon for the equivalent of a year earnings. The catch was they had to finish under 4:30. Out of the 200+ villagers who participated, all but 2 made it under the time cut and they had crippling medical issues which prevented it.

Only 56% of the people who entered the NY marathon would have made the time cut. No wonder we have obesity problems. 4:30 is a 10 min / mile