Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Streamers and Hoppers (fishing post)

Since I have NO motivation again today..... Anybody else a big fan of fishing streamers and Hoppers? I am finding myself fishing streamers more and more even on sunny days and when fish are rising. Hoppers are just fun to fish and watch a big brown just attack it. While fishing either of these ways I may not catch as many fish, but it sure is a good way to avoid all the little guys.
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"

No luck mixing in streamers this year. Haven't moved to hoppers yet because a 16 caddis has been absolutely money throughout August. Emergers too, but they just aren't as fun to fish.

I hear you though, hoppers are fun and screen out the little guys.
    bodies be all up on my behind

I'm not a huge fan of streamers unless fishing lakes, but hoppers off the bank are a blast. I concurr with the 16 caddis though. I tied a couple dozen of my favorite varieties last w/e because I've been running so low given how often they have been mauled this year.

The brown spawn is upon us!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I was fishing on the Yellowstone last weekend. We were banging the banks with hoppers. Hoppers are fun to fish because, like salmon flies, the worse you cast the better your presentation. But this time I think we probably set a record for most whitefish caught by a group of people who never tied on a nymph. We were catching 5 whiteys to each trout on size 14 hoppers.

I finally said fuck it, switched to my sinking line and a nice big bugger. Only caught trout on that.

Personally, streamers are my favorite way to fly fish. Unless I am wading in a river, but i think if i get a stripping basket that may change too.

And Makers, yeah, there is a little creek in my back yard with a small diversion dam which should be coming out in the next week or two. It is pretty cool to see the size of the browns piling up below that dam these days.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

I'm with you. No need to be delicate and just bang the banks. Sunny with a breeze use the hoppers, a little cloud cover and throw a big clouser. You can cover a lot of water and tend to hook the bigger fish. I think its time to hit the Weber....

Quote Originally Posted by Professor
    Since I have NO motivation again today..... Anybody else a big fan of fishing streamers and Hoppers? I am finding myself fishing streamers more and more even on sunny days and when fish are rising. Hoppers are just fun to fish and watch a big brown just attack it. While fishing either of these ways I may not catch as many fish, but it sure is a good way to avoid all the little guys.

If you head to the Weber, toss a few Fat Alberts. For some reason the pink and grey ones have been getting me a some good hits on the Mid Provo. Might be worth a shot......

Dude--
    I'm all about it. Hoppers and streamers. Streamers and hoppers. Was fishing some private water on the Weber and had a nice 16" football take a hopper with some authority! Booyeah!
    The Griz

This thread could use some pics:
    Green River

Currant Creek

Middle Provo

Currant Creek

LCC Creek

Firehole River
    The Griz

I've never been fishing and have no interest, but those photos ^^^ almost make me wanna start! very nice!!

Sweet shots! If it wasn't pissing rain I'd head out right now.
    bodies be all up on my behind

hopper and a dropper

Yes, a fat hopper w/rubber legs can be a great way to spend a day, if it's slow you can put on a bead head pheasant tail dropper( trout crack ). All in all it is fun any way ya look at it. PS btw bacon is nature's most perfect food!.....tight lines this weekend

I've been tyin' on rabbit lately fishin' em near the banks. Those coyotes come flying out of the water and just nail em. Good fishin'

its beads here right now but an esl is always good for a dolly or two
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Call me infidel for calling muddlers a hopper or whatever. But I've long been a believer. Been on fly since 11 or so, but been lectured many times on the finer points of the ethereal hoo-haw. I don't _know_ shit and everybody hates an agnostic, but that is a killer design.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jass
    Sweet shots! If it wasn't pissing rain I'd head out right now.
    WTF! I will take a rainy ass day over sunshine every time. Rain means streamers should just slay them. The other thing about rain is it always brings out the best in Mayflies. Not as fun as hoppers, but being the only one out there and working a tiny little dry to a big old brown while you wonder "is it cold enough to snow yet". Yeah, that is what fall is all about

WTF! I will take a rainy ass day over sunshine every time. Rain means streamers should just slay them. The other thing about rain is it always brings out the best in Mayflies. Not as fun as hoppers, but being the only one out there and working a tiny little dry to a big old brown while you wonder "is it cold enough to snow yet". Yeah, that is what fall is all about
    Love it!
    The Griz

I was wishing for some clouds yesterday as the sun was scorching and there was absolutely no activity on the water. Strangely there are tons of hoppers at our house in PC but none in the fields along the Weber. The water was also way off color for this time of year. A few Whitefish was all I could find. It is looking better later this week with cooler weather and clouds/rain in the forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by truberski
    I was wishing for some clouds yesterday as the sun was scorching and there was absolutely no activity on the water. Strangely there are tons of hoppers at our house in PC but none in the fields along the Weber. The water was also way off color for this time of year. A few Whitefish was all I could find. It is looking better later this week with cooler weather and clouds/rain in the forecast.
    That really surprises me that the Hoppers arent out on the Weeb. Last week they almost rose to the level of "locusts" on the Middle Provo. Keep your fingers crossed for rain. I have seen a few larger browns already getting a little uptight. If we get some cloudy days or some rain, could turn some good fish on streamers AND it will get all the dumbasses to stay home

That really surprises me that the Hoppers arent out on the Weeb. Last week they almost rose to the level of "locusts" on the Middle Provo. Keep your fingers crossed for rain. I have seen a few larger browns already getting a little uptight. If we get some cloudy days or some rain, could turn some good fish on streamers AND it will get all the dumbasses to stay home
    I should have hit the Provo but was afraid the Fish JONG's would be in full force. I was surprised by the lack of hoppers and other flies in the grass or in the water. I covered some water I had not fished before and it looked damn fishy. Definitely going to go back to the deep holes once the spawn is on.

The Weeb is weird. It is the kind of place you can catch a BIG fish or get skunked. It never seems to be "in between". And yes all the dumbasses have been in full force on the Provo, as well as all the "Jans" guides that believe somehow they "own" the Provo

The Weeb is weird. It is the kind of place you can catch a BIG fish or get skunked. It never seems to be "in between". And yes all the dumbasses have been in full force on the Provo, as well as all the "Jans" guides that believe somehow they "own" the Provo
    I heard bear spray works reaaal well on those Jans guides...
    The Griz

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6
    I heard bear spray works reaaal well on those Jans guides...
    That might work on the guides, but then you would have to listen to the bitchy rich clients cry and scream because they are going to get lost in the "wilderness" of the middle provo Those people are part of the reason I prefer to fish in the rain/snow.

i went up to my new favorite local spot on saturday. figured that with the holiday weekend it would be a zoo, but was pleasantly suprised to only see two other fishermen in the area i was fishing. quite a nice day with a dozen large cuts, a couple nice brookies and a big grayling deciding my krystal buggers looked tasty.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

16 caddis struck gold for me the other day and I would have slapped on a streamer during the storm but it also dumped a couple of inches of hail on me that weekend!