Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

$295 to climb up a bridge? What?

So we are going to be in Australia soon and we're meeting a bunch of people in Sydney. They're trying to organize some activities (I hate "organized activities" with a passion), and one of them is climbing the Sydney Harbor Bridge at twilight. It's suppposed to be spectacular, but it costs $295 (Aus.) to do it! That's maybe $250 or so U.S.

Wtf, mate?

I think I am le tired that day.

Or could this possibly be worth it?!?

edit: sorry, it's the dawn climb that is $295, the twilight climb is a bargain $245
    Last edited by iceman; 03-16-2006 at 09:57 AM.

I am with you on the organized group activities. Seems like I always get stuck with people that just annoy me.

If I were to spend the $$ to take a walk on a bridge, I would do the night hike.

Edit: Didn't know you were taking the trip. Sounds like a lot of fun!
    Last edited by Alioops; 03-16-2006 at 10:32 AM.
    "You got to express what is taboo in you and share your freak with the rest of us, cause it's a beautiful thing"

Sounds like an expensive place to commit suicide.

On second thought maybe its only that much if you climb back down, better take exact change.

That's just silly. That is a ridiculous amount of money to climb a bridge. I say save your $ and go someplace cool in Australia. Get out of the city. The cities are like being in America but if you head other places it is not. Tasmania is ultra cool, but so is the Outback. Go to Ayers rock or the Great Barrier Reef.... so many other cool things to do in Aussie land than to climb a bridge
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Um...poach it?
    To have a great adventure and survive requires good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. And experience, of course, is the result of poor judgment. -Geoff Tabin

Iceman, that is f'in ridiculous. I would stay away from that bridge like cancer if not just out of principle. It is a targeted tourist area designed to gouge good people like yourself. Think an Australian has ever paid that kind of scratch to climb a bridge that tax dollars built?

If you wind up doing it, be sure to urinate off the top to get your moneys worth, maybe they will let keep that blue jumpsuit as well.

I vote NOT worth it. We were in Sydney last spring. It is a great city, but the Bridge climb seems like a rip-off. You can walk accross the bridge for FREE to get the good views of the harbour and the Opera House. The "climb" looks to be little more than walking in a group up a staircase built into the bridge trestles. It is a huge tourist magnet -- you can see the groups going up and down all day long. We skipped it.

Save your $$, and go somewhere cool (I second the Tassie suggestion).

Enjoy your trip!
    Are we part of the solution, or are we part of the pollution? -M.F.

I don't think I can pay $500 for my wife and I to walk up a bridge, no matter how spectacular it is.

Maybe I'll do this instead. It's only $400, we can take two other people so it'll only be $100 apiece, and with any luck we can time it just right and get the pilot to buzz the other people while they're on top of the bridge!

I know quite a few people who've poached it. Obviously only at night, with stockings on your head. If you get caught (somewhat likely) you're in a lot of trouble. If you fall make sure you go for the grab and stomp hard on the landing. If you make it to WA drop me a line.

Dude. $250 Australian is like twenty bucks....

The only way that would be worth it is if Elle Mcpherson was carrying you up. Naked.

...not to mention that there is something rather unsettling about having to wear a "jumpsuit" up there.

I'd rather wear a light fall jacket.

The pictures on that site aren't even all that impressive. Skip that. And what the hell is up with the jumpsuits?
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

You can do that in Vancouver for free.

I highly recommend it.

Looks like a classic gaper attraction.

The view looks great, but $250?!?

Damn!

Yeah, the heli tour looks a lot better.

What a ripoff. It used to be half that cost and even I thought that was steep.

You can walk across for free. On a calm moonlit night, on a pub crawl from the CBD to North Sydney (or vice versa) me and my mates used to have a literal pissing contest to see who can empty their bladder long enough for the golden drops to land below (with bonus points for hitting unsuspecting Harbour Cruise ships).

(Edit- if you want free breathtaking views, head up to my old 'hood and hit "The Gap" (no, not the store) near Watson's Bay, about 15-20 minutes drive from the city. )

http://www.sydney.com.au/harbwalk.htm

I'll also be Down Undah for 3 weeks end of April/May. If you're there maybe I can shout you a couple schooners of VB, mate.
    Last edited by Superstar Punani; 03-16-2006 at 05:35 PM.

Definitely skip it. Save your money, take an easy 2 hour train ride from downtown Sydney to the Blue Mountains. Go climbing or steep hiking or even downhilling. That place is sweet.

Something tells me you should take Punani's advice whatever it is. Just bring pro-tec-tion.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani
    I'll also be Down Undah for 3 weeks end of April/May. If you're there maybe I can shout you a couple schooners of VB, mate.
    We're in Auckland 3/27-4/2, Sydney 4/2-4/7, Melbourne 4/7-4/10, Cairns (actually Port Douglas) 4/10-4/13, back to Sydney 4/13, depart 4/14, it doesn't sound like we overlap except at the end but once I get a sim card there I'll send you my local #

That's right, I said #

If you have to wear a jumpsuit, there's only one thing to do: huck it!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    We're in Auckland 3/27-4/2, Sydney 4/2-4/7, Melbourne 4/7-4/10, Cairns (actually Port Douglas) 4/10-4/13, back to Sydney 4/13, depart 4/14, it doesn't sound like we overlap except at the end but once I get a sim card there I'll send you my local #)

That's right, I said #
    ####Bwahahaha!#####

I won't be there until 4/21-5/11, but if you want a things-to-do list just let me know and I'll put one together for you. (Rated G. PG, R or XXX).

If you rent a car in Melbourne (or plan to drive a rental car in Melbourne), pay the extra fee for the Citylink toll. They'll get it out of you eventually.....
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    If you rent a car in Melbourne (or plan to drive a rental car in Melbourne), pay the extra fee for the Citylink toll. They'll get it out of you eventually.....
    So true. And don't speed on highways, they've got speed trap cameras everywhere and they'll track you to the US in no time.

I did that exact thing five years ago*. It was pretty cool, but not worth $300. If people want to do it, you should just say no thanks and go for a walk in the botanical gardens, just up the street from the Opera House. They're really cool, and your chances of being blown into Sydney Harbor from 500 feet up will be substantially diminished.

* I was working for NBC Olympics at the time, and I was spending a day as Ahmad Rashad's personal assistant. Ahmad Rashad is a nice guy.