Check Out Our Shop

Looking for remote IT / Support Engineer / software engineering position

Throwing this out there in case there's a maggot with a connection that fits.

My position at my current employer is getting rightsized into nothing at the end of June. I've been doing IT stuff of various sorts for decades (graduated with a CS degree in 2003 and was doing both formal and informal support stuff before that). I think my biggest resume issue is that my experience has been spread across a handful of smaller organizations and different roles—I've run a couple of IT departments, I've done software engineering with different tech stacks, etc—rather than clearly lining up with the corporate career path that most job postings expect.

With that said, I'm convinced that my experience would translate well into a lot of the support engineer / support lead / technical account manager / project manager type roles that I'm seeing posted. In a more employee-friendly market, I think I'd probably have a better chance to convince hiring folks of that, but with hiring slowing and a lot of competition for remote jobs (by their nature), it's a lot less likely that a cover letter and resume that look interesting as a "this might work" get that second look. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm looking for a mid-to-senior-level type role.

I'm in Bethel, Maine, and relocation isn't a realistic option for family reasons (hence the remote focus). If you happen to be hiring for a role that might fit or have a lead somewhere the hiring process is flexible enough that an actual human would give my resume/cover letter thoughtful consideration, please shoot me a message. I'm obviously more than happy to share my resume, but I'd rather not post it (there's enough for a human that knows me to identify me in this post, but probably not enough for bots to do the same).

good luck good sir https://www.trueup.io/job-trend

Sounds like you'd make a good Head of IT or even CIO, but old fashioned assholes won't let that be remote. Maybe time to go off on your own?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    I'll take all the luck I can get, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Sounds like you'd make a good Head of IT or even CIO, but old fashioned assholes won't let that be remote. Maybe time to go off on your own?
    There are such positions that are remote, but generally for larger, remote-first companies. I would be surprised if my lack of supervisory experience got past the first level of screening for those.

And yes, I could go the self-employed route, but the boss is a jerk (and I don't mind not having to deal with payroll and quarterly taxes). That's definitely something I'll give thought to.

Sometimes it’s helpful to offer to work for free for one or two weeks
    Just throwing it out there. Particularly since you’re looking for wfh. It has to be odd hiring remote workers. Prove yourself in the first week at no cost then clinch the job.

Good luck. Bethel is a nice town. Can’t blame you for staying put. Although Portland isn’t that far away.
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

that’s the stupidest idea i’ve ever heard
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

look where it came from...

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Sometimes it’s helpful to offer to work for free for one or two weeks
    Just throwing it out there. Particularly since you’re looking for wfh. It has to be odd hiring remote workers. Prove yourself in the first week at no cost then clinch the job.

Good luck. Bethel is a nice town. Can’t blame you for staying put. Although Portland isn’t that far away.
    What fucking planet do you live on?

That’s not even possible if he wanted to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    What fucking planet do you live on?
    He's from the planet Moran and I hear everyone from there is just as dumb as him.