Check Out Our Shop
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world

cycling shoe insoles

I've finally converged on a shoe that seems to work for my problematic feet (Spec Recon), but I'm still chasing down some hotspots and occasional numbness. I'm thinking of trying a different insole. Anyone have a favorite? I have fairly high arches, narrowish heel so one that has a nice heel pocket may be helpful. I'm not sure the metatarsal bump on my current Spec Body Geometry insoles does anything other than feel weird and maybe contribute to some numbness in one foot. I'm mostly long distance xc mtb, gravel yada yada thanks.

Every foot is different so I don't use a special foot bed in bike shoes but I do in ski boots,

the Sole products work for me cuz I have flat feet/ high instep/ narrow heel/ wide forefoot

I get along fine with the met bump on a specialized foot bed
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've never been able to use my ski boot insoles biking for some reason. Most people in road cycling end up with custom insoles eventually, I always just ran stock ones even when I was racing. A lot of good bike fitters will offer just a shoe/cleat alignment including insoles. Cleat alignment probably less important for MTB but a nice custom bike insole sounds like what you need

I wear footbeds in almost all of my footwear, to avert a Morton’s neuroma. Most start out in ski and hiking boots, then migrate down to bike and everyday shoes.
    My favorite riding footbed currently is a hard plastic 3/4 length ProTech an Orthopedic Doctor made for me 20 years ago. I also like some Superfeet cork blanks, I cooked and molded myself.
    I’d just try a bunch, until you find one you like.

It’s gotta fit in the shoe. Kneed makes a really thin forefoot (kneed2fit), one if the usual brand’s thicker ones squeeze your foot.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Currex Soles have done me pretty well, variety of insoles for different applications (including bike) and 3 arch support heights.

I've had pretty good luck with the Superfeet Carbon Run in rigid footwear like bike shoes and ski boots. The are very thin and have a relatively high carbon arch, which doesn't compress.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    It’s gotta fit in the shoe. Kneed makes a really thin forefoot (kneed2fit), one if the usual brand’s thicker ones squeeze your foot.
    2X on the Kneed. I just transferred mine to the 2nd pair of shoes. It has a pretty high arch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

thanks everyone. I have a pretty high arch. Looking at Kneed site, doesn't seem like they carry bike specific models. Is kneed2fit the recommendation then for bike?

Those Kneed ones look about like Sole insoles. I have Soles in several sets of running and cycling shoes and find them just fine.

On my road shoes I went all-out and built my own monocoque fiberglass ones with some met posting etc.

I think the bikefitters' choice is G8. Ms CE needs some, and I might finally bite the bullet and order them, but man are they $$$. I do like the movable pieces etc, which could be good for her since she can't seem to describe what she needs.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

sole makes a really thin footbed but I havent used it, I go with the red or black which are medium & thick
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The specialized ones come in different arch heights, I think medium is stock and I’ve had good luck with the high in various clipless shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Those Kneed ones look about like Sole insoles. I have Soles in several sets of running and cycling shoes and find them just fine.

On my road shoes I went all-out and built my own monocoque fiberglass ones with some met posting etc.

I think the bikefitters' choice is G8. Ms CE needs some, and I might finally bite the bullet and order them, but man are they $$$. I do like the movable pieces etc, which could be good for her since she can't seem to describe what she needs.
    I wound up getting a pair of G8’s myself. If they were going into anything less stiff of flat than my Bont road shoes, I would have rather gotten an out of the box or custom moldable insole.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    The specialized ones come in different arch heights, I think medium is stock and I’ve had good luck with the high in various clipless shoes.
    yep. I use the green/high arch models currently and feel like I can use even more arch

Superfeet green work well for me. The blue has worked well also but has a thicker heel which can be too tall for the heel pocket on a lot of shoes and also push your foot forward. Most recently I’ve been using a blue that I’ve ground down a lot in the heel area. Gonna try green here again on my new shoes for that reason.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, flying through the air