Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Part of what I love around here is the cross section of expertise. Its like ChatGPT with snark and sarcasm.

"I really wish I could get the opinion of a couple merchant mariners and bridge engineer"

"hold my beer"

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Part of what I love around here is the cross section of expertise. Its like ChatGPT with snark and sarcasm.

"I really wish I could get the opinion of a couple merchant mariners and bridge engineer"

"hold my beer"
    Right?

I'm always impressed with the depth of knowledge this place has. My wife, less so. I get an eye roll with every little fact repeated that starts with, "I read this on TGR..."
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Right?

I'm always impressed with the depth of knowledge this place has. My wife, less so. I get an eye roll with every little fact repeated that starts with, "I read this on TGR..."
    “So a friend and I were discussing the impact of wind shear on gondola cables the other day…”

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    “So a friend and I were discussing the impact of wind shear on gondola cables the other day…”
    "And did you know that there is no universal agreement on where Upstate New York starts?"

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

"hold my beer"
    Never ceases to amaze.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    A higher bridge would involve completely replacing all of the pilings and existing infrastructure, but lead to a boom in cargo that passes through the port. Look at where Baltimore is on a map and how much further west it is the any other port on the east coast.
    Feds are currently paying to expand the Howard Street Tunnel so that trains can double stack containers. It would be great for the Port and the City if they can pull off multiple infrastructure upgrades. The oldest stone masonry bridge in the US for railroads is still actively used within city limits, the Carrollton Viaduct finished in 1829.

Mayor Scott should come out of this looking strong for the primary. Baltimore has quietly been improving under his admin and I hope he gets a second term.

I wonder if a tunnel would be a faster replacement than a bridge. Seems tunneling technology has expanded in recent years. Dependent on soil/rock type under the river.

Trucks have lots of restrictions on what they can haul in tunnels

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

OK, which maggot is a tunnel engineer ?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Trucks have lots of restrictions on what they can haul in tunnels

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
    From what I read, this bridge was the hazmat route around Baltimore as there were no tunnels.

The bridge is part of the 695 Beltway around Baltimore and most truck through-traffic from 95 went that way because it's shorter, but instead of going east from 95 on 695 they can go west but it adds something like 30 miles and there's a lot more traffic on that side of the Beltway even in normal times.

This will advance an argument for crossing gates at the ends of bridges that can be remotely deployed in the event of an emergency. Instead of waiting on LEO's to secure.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    This will advance an argument for crossing gates at the ends of bridges that can be remotely deployed in the event of an emergency. Instead of waiting on LEO's to secure.
    We learn how to be better, design better, engineer better all the time, just regretfully takes an accident and death to implement those. 100% agree gates should be added to bridges. I-80 across Wyoming has them for the highway for wind closures.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    Bridges are out of fashion. Tunnels are the new hotness.
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    They're boring.
    Wait a minute here, you're not providing the hole picture!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Maybe just get a couple of 100 foot tall fenders to hang off the sides?
    heh, pretty good intuition. 'Fender' is just another word for 'dolphin' with current civil engineering specs calling for 80ft dolphins to protect piers close to navigation channels.

The main driver for more protection is bigger ships which in turn was driven by larger locks in the Panama canal allowing for even larger ships to reach the East Coast. And now there are even post-Panamax ships. 50 years ago Tasmania had its own bridge catastrophe killing 12 in Hobart. That one was caused by a collision with an 11 ton ship. The entire bridge would have likely failed had it been a larger ship by today's standards. The Hobart harbor master now closes the bridge to traffic when large ships pass through and doesn't allow certain types of ships, at all:

Since flying vehicles are coming any day now, who needs bridges?

So you're saying some people like driving the long way around Baltimore?

Insurance rates for big maritime cargo vessels about to go up. Lawyers are going to be retiring early off their billable hours.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/busin...pse/index.html

With various owners and companies involved – and with some maritime laws predating even the Titanic sinking – untangling the web, figuring out who owes what, and addressing the damages from both lives lost and to physical structures will be complex.

“This claim has the potential to be north of a billion dollars,” said John Miklus, the president of the American Institute of Marine Underwriters. “Litigation will run years.”
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    So you're saying some people like driving the long way around Baltimore?
    they probably prefer to not pay the toll to go over a bridge.

People in Portland, OR Aka “Bridge City” are freaking out. ODOT and the news talking heads are trying to calm folks. The reality is ships that big don’t come all the way to Portland. Now the Columbia…

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    People in Portland, OR Aka “Bridge City” are freaking out. ODOT and the news talking heads are trying to calm folks. The reality is ships that big don’t come all the way to Portland. Now the Columbia…
    I have fond memories of sitting on the patio of the Veritable Quandry on sunny summer afternoons just watching the massive container ships slowly amble down the Willamette.

I’d guess $1.5 billion for debris removal and replacement of the bridge. If you factor in all the economic losses I bet it goes to $3-4B.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm going big dig numbers of at least 2 digits.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

So you boat guys maybe able to help me with this. From what I understand this boat had previously hit a bridge. It had previously had power troubles. Isn't there some sort of international sea-worthyness commission that oversees these big ass ships running around going underneath bridges that cars and trucks (and poor innocent pot hole fillers) are on top of.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!