Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    OP, Have you driven a full-size pickup lately. The ride and turning radiuses have greatly improved. I take my crew long bed into town and several (not all) parking garages. A short bed would even be better.

As far as SUVs the Grand Wagoneer with the new Hurricane is sweet. Also, I hate to recommend a GM rig, but the 3.0 Duramax rigs are fairly capable. I know a few Airstreamer that love them.

Also, look into Olivers and Airstreams for the trailer. They tow better than the boxes.

Of you do get a nice RV, the hotels will never look the same.

The guy who recommends a Jeep "hates" to recommend a GM....huh?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned but we’ve been using our XC90 phev to tow a 4000lb pop up without any problems (knock on wood). My only regret is we got the standard battery, get the extended 33 mile range (which will get you about 25). Wouldn’t buy new but they depreciate really fast the first 3-4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You sure about the weight of that pop up? Mine weighed 2,000 and was not minimalist.

A 4000# pop up sounds like it is made of cast iron.
    Last edited by Danno; 03-27-2024 at 07:38 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

get a full size truck and call it a day. any encumbrance in town will be made up for ten fold by the functionality of the bed.
    swing your fucking sword.

Nissan Armada can seat 8 and toe 8000lbs

8500lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    Nissan Armada can seat 8 and toe 8000lbs
    buddy runs one as his guide rig and loves it for that. insanely comfortable.

The current Armada is a Patrol, but with some of the cool off-road features removed. AKA Infiniti Q-something or other. They're a nice size.

I bet a Hi-Lo or whatever that other cantilever outward popup are pretty hefty.

Our travel trailer has a GVWR of 3750#, and I bet it's there when we load it up - usually tow it full of fresh water if going anywhere within a half day drive. And then the pickup bed has a generator, gasoline, sometimes even more water, bicycles, firewood or propane fire pit, sometimes a cooler... the weight adds up.

I like overkill for towing. So we have an old 3/4-ton truck, which means I don't worry about payload, or tongue weight, or weight distribution hitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

E39 bmw 540i wagon. Can tow 4400lb. Looks slick, drives great... Done.
    Name:  2000-bmw-540i-sport-wagon-main.jpeg
Views: 191
Size:  76.8 KB
    sigless.

Quit being a fucking pussy, get the F 650. Plenty of towing power and proven to double penis size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8138.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	492220.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    get a full size truck and call it a day. any encumbrance in town will be made up for ten fold by the functionality of the bed.
    Wut? That bed space is wasted space 355 days a year. Get a mid-size SUV and a cheap utility trailer for the few days a year you need that bed space.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Wut? That bed space is wasted space 355 days a year. Get a mid-size SUV and a cheap utility trailer for the few days a year you need that bed space.
    guess we are hauling/doing/towing different shit. i use mine at least 180 days a year. got some shit back there now.

but for op, i wouldn't trust a mid sized suv towing 50 miles of washboard for a variety of reasons. ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    E39 bmw 540i wagon. Can tow 4400lb. Looks slick, drives great... Done.
    Name:  2000-bmw-540i-sport-wagon-main.jpeg
Views: 191
Size:  76.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Quit being a fucking pussy, get the F 650. Plenty of towing power and proven to double penis size.

Name:	IMG_8138.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	492220.
    Stupendous Man, meet your new 2 car garage.
    I still call it The Jake.

OP, how about a black '95 Nissan Pathfinder? Capable off-road, holds crotch fruit, reasonable towing capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    but for op, i wouldn't trust a mid sized suv towing 50 miles of washboard for a variety of reasons. ymmv.
    I wouldn't worry about the SUV, I'd be more worried about the trailer. Most aren't really made for that kind of abuse longterm.

Car search advices

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the SUV, I'd be more worried about the trailer. Most aren't really made for that kind of abuse longterm.
    yeah, that too. but mid sized suvs arent made for that kinda use either.

op, have you considered any aftermarket upgrades you may be interested in? perhaps a bespoke mercedes-inspired shifter knob?
    Last edited by stealurface831; 03-28-2024 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    The guy who recommends a Jeep "hates" to recommend a GM....huh?
    Mopar or no car for me. It’s the devil I know.

Five Jeeps and the only problem we ever had was someone causing a 4 car pile up while wife was stopped in traffic and totaling it. I know the Jeep hate is strong in this forum, but they have served us very well.

I missed the 50 miles of washboard requirements. If that was my situation I would have full size pickup with a pop up 4-Wheel Camper and a tent for the kids unless it was storming and then they could come in and sleep on the sofa bed with the dog. Fuck towing that far in and out, and I have pulled in to some pretty off beaten places.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has enough wheelbase and payload to handle what’s being towed. Tongue weight counts against payload.

Here is a decent read:

https://taxaoutdoors.com/blogs/artic...f%20wheelbase.

Also, their popups look pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    OP, how about a black '95 Nissan Pathfinder? Capable off-road, holds crotch fruit, reasonable towing capabilities.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    Mopar or no car for me. It’s the devil I know.

Five Jeeps and the only problem we ever had was someone causing a 4 car pile up while wife was stopped in traffic and totaling it. I know the Jeep hate is strong in this forum, but they have served us very well.

I missed the 50 miles of washboard requirements. If that was my situation I would have full size pickup with a pop up 4-Wheel Camper and a tent for the kids unless it was storming and then they could come in and sleep on the sofa bed with the dog. Fuck towing that far in and out, and I have pulled in to some pretty off beaten places.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has enough wheelbase and payload to handle what’s being towed. Tongue weight counts against payload.

Here is a decent read:

https://taxaoutdoors.com/blogs/artic...f%20wheelbase.

Also, their popups look pretty cool.
    I wouldn't call it "Jeep hate," I have a Wrangler but with all of the horror stories lately, I'd have a hard time recommending any Stellantis product without an extended warranty.

Fuck camping, I still think getting the AMG E63 and staying at the Broadmoor is best option.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

The GVWR is specced by model and engine, however the taxa outdoors article above makes it seem like payload is the same for every type of vehicle produced, for instance all F150's have a payload of ~1900lbs. That is simply not true. Payload varies depending on how each vehicle is optioned and equipped. Fords do tend to have the highest payloads because it's an aluminum body.

The article also overlooks the amount of weight added to a trailer when it's ready to camp, referring to dry weight. It also doesn't mention that the tow vehicle axle's are rated for a maximum capacity as well. (The Rear Axle Weight Rating is really important for truck campers since most of the weight of the TC is borne by the rear axle.)

These are the door stickers from my truck, a moderately optioned Chev 3500 which is carrying a pop-up four wheel camper and potentially towing a boat or a cargo trailer.

GVWR - curb weight = max payload
    12250lbs - 8129 lbs = 4121 lbs

Name:	IMG_3067.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	492250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3068.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	492251

Only because, beside being a dick and some occasional throw back humor and good advice, thread drift is about all we got.

Homebody is talking about going on a raft trip here https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreat...desolationgray which is total gods country. NW Colorado out into The Basin is a bit of a forgotten place. If you wanted burry a body, go on a vision quest or visit skin walker ranch stop first at the Travel Plaza on the Res in Fort Myton https://www.utetribe.com/

And add to you list of question when buying a used vehicle "Has this truck ever been used on any rafting trip shuttles". When selling, remove the receiver hitch and the kayak stackers.

Thanks dudes. I'm now looking hard at the Lexus GX as the sweet spot here. I must admit that I want good gas mileage and I know that adds a further contradiction but everyone can just fuck right off.

I also like the cherokee - I owned one many moons ago, and the durango. I also like the tahoe. I've driven one and its a nice ride, a little high for the grandma.

What does everyone think of a diesel Tahoe? Does it make the diesel-y loud noise? Does the whole equation change?
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

Quote Originally Posted by stupendous man View Post
    Thanks dudes. I'm now looking hard at the Lexus GX as the sweet spot here. I must admit that I want good gas mileage and I know that adds a further contradiction but everyone can just fuck right off.

I also like the cherokee - I owned one many moons ago, and the durango. I also like the tahoe. I've driven one and its a nice ride, a little high for the grandma.

What does everyone think of a diesel Tahoe? Does it make the diesel-y loud noise? Does the whole equation change?
    I walk by 3 or 4 when I take the midgets to school each morning. From a sound standpoint, you can't even tell they're diesels.