Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Midlife Club

I'm not sure if that's what all of this is, or if it's just why I'm here.

It's half time. Reaper's up by 6 but there's still another half to play. You feel like you have man in the penalty box just like all the time. And you're not the man you were in the first half. Lots of doors have closed. You burned some bridges, sure. But some...well it's just hard to find sense in saddling up a new horse, you know?

I work for a living, at the end of day I punch a clock just like everyone. Wife is happy, kid is happy. I could just run down the clock. Maintain.

Does anyone else feel like they're not built for that? Looking back, the most meaningful times in my life were when I was struggling. I mean striving for something, eyes on the prize. I was happier eating ramen and studying for my entrance test than I am sitting on my laurels living the life. I felt more -alive- taking my board exam, than I ever have.

People are built to strive, to overcome, to survive. How do you reconcile that need with the stability that comes with midlife?

Kids are nice sure. But even with no kids I still felt like this.

Restless.

Am I the only one?

You’re definitely not the only one. Lots of folks out there with an itch they just can’t scratch.

My advice would be to take up a daily meditation practice. Everyone’s different, but I think I felt more like that before I dealt with a lot of stuff. Learned to really forgive myself and others. Learned to manage anxiety. Meditation encourages me to slow down my inner dialogue, watch my thoughts float by without any attachment. Then I can really decipher what serves me and what doesn’t.

To each their own, but I’m really looking forward to the “second half.” I’m not keeping score. I just try and be present and enjoy both the ups and downs.

BTW, I learned meditation through the Transcendental Meditation program. There are a lot of different types of meditation practices, but that one intrigued me and that’s where I went to learn. I think it’s well worth it.

The Midlife Club

Quote Originally Posted by Huskier View Post

It's half time. Reaper's up by 6 but there's still another half to play. You feel like you have man in the penalty box just like all the time. And you're not the man you were in the first half. Lots of doors have closed. You burned some bridges, sure. But some...well it's just hard to find sense in saddling up a new horse, you know?

I work for a living, at the end of day I punch a clock just like everyone. Wife is happy, kid is happy. I could just run down the clock. Maintain.

Does anyone else feel like they're not built for that? Looking back, the most meaningful times in my life were when I was struggling. I mean striving for something, eyes on the prize. I was happier eating ramen and studying for my entrance test than I am sitting on my laurels living the life. I felt more -alive- taking my board exam, than I ever have.

People are built to strive, to overcome, to survive. How do you reconcile that need with the stability that comes with midlife?

Restless.

Am I the only one?
    I feel like that a little bit, but also feel like if I hit Mega Millions I’d have no qualms skiing, biking, hiking and doing whatever other hobbies I pick up. Although for the first time I’ve had twinges where I’ve felt like since my best physical days are behind me maybe I should concentrate on work and achieving. Thankfully they are fleeting.

If we say we get 80 years, I’m nearing the end of the third quarter. I’d have no qualms stopping work now, I’ve been working in my job for 35+ years. It’s rewarding and I’ve helped impact a lot of people’s lives.

Humans strive for food, shelter and safety, comfort if you will. Be grateful for what you have and have achieved. It’s okay to be comfortable. Physically you may not be the person you once were but you’re probably a better human than you’ve ever been if you’ve been working hard this long.

The good old days were never that good, that’s just nostalgia and vanity whispering in your ear

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”

― Hunter S. Thompson
    I feel like I am entering this part of my life. I'm 45, semi fit, no kids, enough money to do stuff. Own a business, but I AM the business. If I could just get a few decent employees, I could really go off the deep end.

Don't worry, you will get sick and tired of striving, overcoming and settle for surviving until you don't. Sounds like classic Midlife crisis time.

Do what everyone other male does, have an affair with a young woman, buy a hot new ride, get hair implants, you know, basically fuck up all that stability.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Learn to settle.
    Living large is overrated
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    The good old days were never that good, that’s just nostalgia and vanity whispering in your ear

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Exactly.

Life was not better when I was struggling.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I mean, your genetics are made up to go hunt a monkey every day. Or die.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I totally feel you and am in a similar place. Everything is ok but nothing is what I want it to be. Lots of obvious things to improve for me (mostly on the job front)
    It’s the striver disease and it’s all in our heads. I’ve been reading a bunch of Roman stoics and they had the same problems 2000 years ago.
    No solutions but happy to meet on a trail or over a beer, it feels better when you know it’s not just you.

Gratitude is the attitude. Careful what you wish for or life might throw something at you that's actually worth worrying about.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskier View Post

Restless.

Am I the only one?
    You feel like a loser because you ARE a loser. You CHOSE to be a loser when you became a HUSKY. Thems the brakes, dude.

Totally kidding. I simply cannot help myself.

In all seriousness, we're not meant to sit at a desk for most of our existence, banking cortisol and lactic acid while never actually risking ourselves or considering anything of true value.

Start by addressing the sitting part. When I was in your position, twice weekly yoga/meditation combined with a daily walk (run or ride is better) made me feel better after about a month. Baby steps. Work towards one single area in your life where you're really pushing it...for me, a return to mountain biking was a godsend. I didn't go back to Enduro racing but simply crushing uphills and high speed flows down was a crazy release.

Also, wonder. I do mean wonder, not wander, though both are good. You're brain right now is wondering about meaning because we're supposed to. Find something to explore, mentally. In my case, astrophysics for dummies by NDT was a great start that led me to a bunch of other stuff. You're a Husky, so maybe start with air conditioning or soap bubbles (Can't stop, won't stop).

The human body needs adrenaline and risk and must have room for imagination and uncertainty. We're programed for all of it but we have been trying to suppress it for the past couple hundred years.

Most importantly, make some time for yourself. I cannot stress this enough. You, as a person, need space.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I have also been feeling like I'm in some kind of stagnant and restless state. It must just be part of being almost 40. The sitting is definitely not good. I tried adjusting some meds to see if that would do things like give me more motivation to workout. All it did was give me diarrhea. Turns out I'm just lazy.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

A generality is that the people who know what they would do have not actualy worked long enough to retire and the people who can retire are too habituated to working and don't wana retire

When I meet another retired dude I would ask them how they feel so I have talked to more than a few in the last 18yrs, some of them wank about remodeling a few rooms, get in the wife's way

and finally go back to work

Last edited by XXX-er; 03-23-2024 at 11:31 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think a lot of midlife unhappiness comes from setting goals that are too achievable. People either don't get them done and then can't stop kicking themselves because, "if only.." or they do achieve them and then realize they don't have anything else to strive for and they're suddenly becalmed when they've been sailing full speed ahead their whole lives. They accomplished their goals and they have no idea what to do next.

I don't claim to have the answers by any means but my personal goals have always been a lot more amorphous. I'm just trying to be better, healthier, smarter, and more at peace with it all than I've been before, or at least than I am at the moment. It's an achievable goal, in a way, because I can certainly do a lot better than I've done so far, but it's open ended, I'll never get to the end of it until it's the end of me. I'm okay with it.

On another note, my Dad was at work on his 55th birthday, and he was kinda depressed about how old he was (he was younger than I am now). One of the nurses said, "Cheer up, Doc, 55 is only middle-aged." He shot back, "Yeah? How many hundred-and-ten-year-old guys do you know?"

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Gratitude is the attitude. Careful what you wish for or life might throw something at you that's actually worth worrying about.
    This. I'm 44 and have been suffering from long covid and a few other ailments and injuries over the past 1-2 years. It fucking sucks. I just want to feel healthy and be able to do the activities I love. I will never take my health for granted again.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Buy an Island and build and off-grid compound… seems to be working for Harry and me.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This. I'm 44 and have been suffering from long covid and a few other ailments and injuries over the past 1-2 years. It fucking sucks. I just want to feel healthy and be able to do the activities I love. I will never take my health for granted again.
    100%. Health. Is. Everything. And your desk job is literally killing you.

Fun fact. When I "retired" from my full-time, overtime stress machine, my resting HR dropped 10 points in 3 weeks, with nearly all other variables staying the same. Cortisol and stagnation is a motherfucker.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    . I'm just trying to be better, healthier, smarter, and more at peace with it all than I've been before, or at least than I am at the moment.
    I have never really thought of life this way. I have always been happy to "let the chips fall where they may". The way that I see it, you are educated (or trained) to do something. Then you do it until you don't want to do it anymore. Then, you live with what you have accumulated, do something else, or (out of necessity) go back to doing the same old, same old. Personally, I have been lucky and was able to stop doing what I was trained to do when it became tiresome. I have just learned to be happy, and thus at peace and not dwell on the fact that I will not live as large as I could have.

“Bringing people into the here-and-now. The real universe. That's the present moment. The past is no good to us. The future is full of anxiety. Only the present is real--the here-and-now. Seize the day.”
    ― Saul Bellow, Seize the Day. .....one of my favorite quotes, from one of my favorite books
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I think it’s important to acknowledge the attitude of entitlement in this thread (my own included).

I try to maintain the attitude of work to live and not live to work. Though, I strive to enjoy my work, make myself and others happy to interact with each other, and have a sense of positive accomplishment in the work that I do. Also, I strive to be part of the positive example at work by having lifestyle balance. My own lifestyle decisions have kept me from strong career advancements and making enough income to look on the horizon and see a “comfortable” retirement. It’s a weird feeling.

Coworkers and others that I know that have drastically shifted their work/life balance and either dramatically reduced how much they work or taken LOA/sabbatical to pursue a lot more fun stuff entered life with $$$. I know that is a strong over generalization.

you can't read the inscription but it sez to " To The dude" from the boys, august 26 1978 "

so ask yerself what the Dude would do ?

Of course the dude copied me by about 20 yrs if yer into the whole brevity thing

but the dude abides, didnt sue

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20240323_190236348.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	979.0 KB 
ID:	491529

It's not so much entitlement as irony, IMHO.

Now that I'm a year out, I appreciate the irony that both my wife and I worked our asses off to be able to semi retire in our late 40's. The irony is that we both sacrificed our health in semi permanent ways to gain that "freedom.". I have a weird blood disease that'll likely never go away and she has her own challenges.

To TahoeJ's point, if I could go back and do it differently in a way that didn't cost us health points but involved working longer, I'd probably do it. I'm not complaining as we are very fortunate and the grass is plenty green, but health is simply more valuable than any other currency. Period.

To your point, finding the sustainable balance is really the key. And that's what I'm getting at with the OP. "Giving it 110%" is the American way and certainly was my way. It's also incredibly stupid, dangerous and illogical, assuming you have a choice. Looking at your career as a means and a marathon, not an absolute and a sprint is probably better?
    Last edited by The Reverend Floater; 03-23-2024 at 01:41 PM.

Are you guys sure this restlessness isn’t just a seasonal thing? I always feel like I should be packing up and migrating whenever the seasons change. I’m middle aged too but I have felt this my whole life. When I was in my twenties, I sometimes did pack up and move when it came on.
    Last edited by Brownski; 03-23-2024 at 04:05 PM.

Where are all the Mid-wives at??

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Where are all the Mid-wives at??
    thats ^^ what I read this morning, freudian slip