Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Does it have to be something new? I've sucked at lots of things for decades!
    Aren’t you a pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Gratitude is the attitude. Careful what you wish for or life might throw something at you that's actually worth worrying about.
    ^^^this

I had cancer last year. Life looks different now.

But yeah, I too need a project of some sort regardless. I need to be constantly learning or I get bored. Right now I’m building a snowcat ground up, 100% DIY. It’s hard, slow process but occupies my mind appropriately.

Early 40's, actually loving things now that the kids are out of the super young stage. Sucking at a bunch of stuff, but getting back into good shape and doing fun things with everyone.
    I think it just feels worse as there's very little "new" as compared to younger days. By this point, you probably have a level of expertise in something, so seeing it done badly or fighting the same fight for the 1000th time feels a lot worse than the first 100 or so times you dealt with it. Similarly, you see new things with more of an eye of skepticism given how many have burned you in the past. Recovery is harder. Things hurt. The easy thing is to stop trying quite so hard to protect yourself, but by the same token you now have the skills to pursue things more safely and productively.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    ^^^this

I had cancer last year. Life looks different now.

But yeah, I too need a project of some sort regardless. I need to be constantly learning or I get bored. Right now I’m building a snowcat ground up, 100% DIY. It’s hard, slow process but occupies my mind appropriately.
    Always like hearing about your DIY projects.

I’ve always tried to be involved in some sort of community non profit or informal group that helps others. My grandfather was a big golfer—definitely a main interest during retirement—but I’ll always remember him as the guy who in his 90s (living alone by then) would volunteer his time at the retirement home occasionally playing board games or taking people for a walk or whatever.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Aren’t you a pilot?
    This might be the single best post I've read in a while.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Aren’t you a pilot?
    I seen " Airplane " a couple of times

shirley I should have got the joke but I missed the Ted Striker connection until buddy told me ... it was too obscure for me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What's our vector, Victor?

You know, on the subject, that pilot that tried to crash the plane a while back? I totally felt for him. The amount of unnecessary stress that job puts on pilots before they even sit down in the cockpit is fucking crazy.

Make everyone"s you interact with day better thats a good challenge & cheaper than new gear or car.

I don't know if this suggestion is way off but volunteering somewhere with a good cause can help scratch the itch. My business was going through a rough patch a few years ago so I joined a local SAR/MRA unit. Packing injured people out of the woods, searching for lost folks and seeing the families affected can provide a little dose of healthy perspective. I guess it also alleviates some guilt by putting skills and piles of gear to use in a less selfish endeavor than just climbing and skiing. I'm also consistently humbled by the unit members that don't hesitate to head out on missions in any weather and any time of day or night. Some pretty good folks there.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    You know, on the subject, that pilot that tried to crash the plane a while back? I totally felt for him. The amount of unnecessary stress that job puts on pilots before they even sit down in the cockpit is fucking crazy.
    The one on shrooms?

IMO when you retire if you can afford it do something entirely different, I have never touched another computer for money since leaving Big Blue and i couldn't really cuz after 30 yrs I was so fucked up. I did some trouble shooting on GF's computer and lost my shit when she didn't follow instructions clearly a PTSD moment " I told you to do XYZ and you didnt !!!@@#% do it ! " well it didnt fix it anyway sez she, well that wasnt the point we try this and this in this logical order to arrive at a fix but it was clear I should do something else

Doing something else is not gona make you feel young again but it could make you feel interested and if you don't need the money its nice being able to say fuck you any time you want. Note that when you can say fuck you any time you want you don't actualy have to say fuck-you instead just don't take the fucked-up job

Sympathy for attempted mass murder huh?

That’s some impressive mental gymnastics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    The one on shrooms?
    Yeah. That one. The medical requirements for pilots are so outdated. Im not justifying his actions, I just see the pressure that got him to that point.

Was he really on shrooms though? Did they verify that?

Sympathy for attempted mass murder huh?

That’s some impressive mental gymnastics.
    Pretty sure there was more to the story than that. Mental health is something that i have sympathy for.

Life's what you make it
    Celebrate it
    Anticipate it
    Yesterday's faded
    Nothing can change it
    Life's what you make it

Move upside and let the man go through...

Was he really on shrooms though? Did they verify that?
    Not that I'm aware of. I've heard (so grain of salt) that he claimed to have taken them the day before, so that would be beyond the detection window of a drug test. Either way, in my not medical opinion, his mental health issues were probably always there under the surface.

Plus 1 on volunteering. I'm not SAR material but working with a local food bank/food instability org has been both humbling and inspiring.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

You guys are doing it all wrong. Do what those before us did; go buy a Corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    You guys are doing it all wrong. Do what those before us did; go buy a Corvette.
    Heh
    For my midlife thing, I took OEC and joined patrol. I wrote a blog post about it titled “Better Than a Corvette”

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I don't golf.
    Honestly though:

1. Impossibly hard and you will never be satisfied, but always want to improve, just like skiing/biking/paddling hard whitewater/whatever.

2. But basically zero chance of catastrophic injury.

3. And you can spend hours, days, weeks, etc. with good buddies and, if you're really lucky, family.

4. Go cool places.

5. Objectively kick friend/family ass for small but proud amounts of money.

6. Do it until you can barely stand up.

Seems pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Honestly though:

2. But basically zero chance of catastrophic injury.

Seems pretty good.
    at the local golf course i went for a drink after biking, the old people were all smoking ( illegaly ) and in visibly bad shape, outside but too lazy to walk away from the building so still under the patio awning, these were not my people, I havent been back

gona die from self inflicted causes