Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fit for 50

Fit for 50

A few recent threads have inspired this one.

A couple of years ago I made a pledge with a bro that we were going to enter our 50's fit-as-fuck. I just turned 48.

That's a bit of lee-way for me to get my shit together, admittedly. I need lee-way. I'm stubborn. Just like you, you comfortable-in-life stagnant, newborn elder.

The Fit for 50 Project is free to interpretation. Post here, be held accountable.

Me? I'm trying to get sober first. MagUni does a good job of calling me out on these boards when I've been drinking. Homie has an uncanny ability to identify my two-drinks-in voice. I dig that. I also dig that most of you are your own badasses, and also victims of your own struggles.

Maybe it's not "50" for you.. For me, it is. I have given myself two years to turn it around.

So, what's your Fit-For-50? Care to join? Care to set a standard to which you'll be held accountable?

Post here about your accomplishments and/or your failures.

I didn't drink today. And I took a walk. That's it. That's a win for me.
    Last edited by gaijin; 03-08-2024 at 03:24 AM.

I'm 50 adjacent, I take a week off from some beers, stopped going out to every local, eat one meal a day because I just listen to my body, and try to be a really nice human.

I started this thing where I log every food bit into my mouth into an xcel spreadsheet everyday. I was just curious what I eat over a year. So far, by March, I cook a shitton and ration leftovers over crossing with new leftovers from what I want to cook. It's only March. Just fun for me to log; it will definitely not change; at this point I've learned that absolutely no one but me can or will change myself.

I don't care how I look, I'm still rocking the same clothes from decades ago, don't give a shit. Am into most of my hobbies, picking up new ones (hello field recording). I look at my fly tying setup and massive shit and am not into it at the moment, look at my rifle and have a full freezer and double digit preference points, look at my bike and only go when not dusty or crowded, look at all my skis and ask if they deserve me, but the one thing for 3 decades, my cameras. Those are, it's hard to describe. I don't suffer from GAS. I have almost everything I could ever want. But they keep me alive, even shooting in my mind when I can't afford development or a clean space to do it myself and scan which is a real bitch.

I look at my clients and I cannot be more psyched to help them out with more fervor than ever, tons more. I am so so secure after decades of doing the work, and doing the trials, and so so many peoples' shit. I suck at billing though, that's why I remain poor despite my insane track record.

I read a ton, love the radio, never owned a TV, keep up on so much music, it's an obsession actually. I look at my vehicles and just ask which one completes the task. All paid off and frowning on me. Look at women and don't judge, just ask myself if it would be even a little boost for a person to enter my life. Usually not. I don't blame them at all.

But I always follow up deeply with people, and I am an incredible listener. Over the top passionate actually. I will think of some random person in the shower or a dream and dig out their info from years ago and call them or do what I can to let them know that they inspired me. Tonight I picked up the phone and called an old old friend. They really appreciated it. Deeply. They needed that. How was I supposed to know? I didn't. I just felt the connection.

I don't know; getting older is like gaining grace in a way. I can float through so many situations so easily now. Nothing really bothers me. I also have the mad skills, but, I keep it quiet.

So, in general, I've gotten way more focused, healthy, a master of myself, and way way more quiet.

Granted, I've fucked up a lot, especially in relationships, never professionally. But, I own them, and I think they might all come around in the end.

Just do you. At this point, at least for me, I'm stripped down to beyond bones, and I know myself, every limit in every application, and I'm happy with it. I don't do goals, but, I do have dreams.

I do wish I hadn't isolated myself so much, but, in reality, that was not a matter of place, but place of mind. I can change that anytime I wish and still be poor but rich.

Enjoy the miles. That is the key. No permanent solutions to temp problems, and fairness is not in the equation. The only way to affect your life is by you actively doing something. The rest is just static.

I know a lot of very happy people on this board, and that is a term of art. But I would not change my shoes for any of them. I also know that I don't live in a vaccum, which was a hudge breakthrough for me. Only took 20 years, but everyone I grew up taught to love died early, so that put me in an advanced path to being an amazing asshole buddha. I literally have no one. I can drop off a sidewalk in spain and never be traced back to anything. I have no real assets or obligations. To anyone or anything. Everyday is my choice. What's fresh in the market, what am I craving and why? So introspective, sickly actually, but pure liberation.

And, I don't do goals. I find them self-defeating. I preach about it all the time to all the people who follow my podcast.

I cooked 2 racks of ribs, stovetop winter smoked them, doors open blazing. 1.5 hours chopping a massive load of cole slaw. I'll give most all of it away. I can't eat that. But, I did what I wanted and put in the time to do it. I don't see anyone else on a weekday in the middle of winter just fucking around. I do it every day. But nothings fucked, because I have to go to sleep and account for myself and my gift to this world. I care very much about that in these small quarters.

I think the senior down the road who just got fired from guiding after he's been there since 1984, for taking a bagel on a webcam because he was there at 5:15 am before anyone else so he could setup the coffee for the incoming, yeah, I think I'll drop a rack off in some tup and a pint of coleslaw and he can wrap them in the tortillas on top of his fridge; and also walk him through the gmail of the job apps I've sent him, even though I reset his apple id which took 2 weeks, and now he can press the buttons on his SE and get the spotify in his helmet while he skis. And I didn't even get a pass which destroys him.

Yeah, I'm OK with 50. I think the next couple will be great as well.
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 03-08-2024 at 04:25 AM.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    A few recent threads have inspired this one.

A couple of years ago I made a pledge with a bro that we were going to enter our 50's fit-as-fuck. I just turned 48.

That's a bit of lee-way for me to get my shit together, admittedly. I need lee-way. I'm stubborn. Just like you, you comfortable-in-life stagnant, newborn elder.

The Fit for 50 Project is free to interpretation. Post here, be held accountable.

Me? I'm trying to get sober first. MagUni does a good job of calling me out on these boards when I've been drinking. Homie has an uncanny ability to identify my two-drinks-in voice. I dig that. I also dig that most of you are your own badasses, and also victims of your own struggles.

Maybe it's not "50" for you.. For me, it is. I have given myself two years to turn it around.

So, what's your Fit-For-50? Care to join? Care to set a standard to which you'll be held accountable?

Post here about your accomplishments and/or your failures.

I didn't drink today. And I took a walk. That's it. That's a win for me.
    I’m here for you. I’m 56, 50 didn’t phase me. Keep moving, eat well, sleep well. Don’t overdo it on training. Do something fun outside every day if work allows, hike,bike, run, climb, ski etc. You get the idea. You can stay surprisingly fit just getting out and doing something every chance you get

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Whatever happened to midlife crisis-ing by finding a 30 yr old honey and buying a Porsche? Is that no longer a thing?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I don’t think it ever was, it’s just a cliche and something insecure middle aged misogynists do

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    . Keep moving, eat well, sleep well. Don’t overdo it on training. Do something fun outside every day if work allows, hike,bike, run, climb, ski etc. You get the idea. You can stay surprisingly fit just getting out and doing something every chance you get
    54 going on 55 here. I agree with everything. Drinking less made the biggest difference for me. I can still enjoy a beer or whiskey, just not 3-4. Contributes to MUCH better sleep, which was key for me. I try to exercise every morning. Best shape I've been in maybe 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Whatever happened to midlife crisis-ing by finding a 30 yr old honey and buying a Porsche? Is that no longer a thing?
    I'll comment later she's cooking me breakfast right now thankfully she makes a boat load of money and can take care of me

Seriously good thread I am having major midlife crisis

Sent from my SM-A546V using Tapatalk

I'm 55, and sure as shit don't feel it mentally.

I'm 6 foot with a big build. I spent a lot of time in the weight room from 20 - 35. My ripped fighting weight at 30 was 218. By the time I became a dad at 40 I was carrying 245 - 250. Last year, I hit 261 and was tired of feeling like shit and being a fat winded fuck.

I started working out in the gym again and eating like an adult and started to drop weight and have more energy, but my shoulders, elbows and wrists were killing me as a result of lifting heavy weights. 95% of the strength came back and I got down to 245, but the joints were screaming. Then I found the life changer for me.

Hot freaking Yoga is the best thing I've done for myself in decades. The Bikram, Baptiste, and hot power flow classes are phenomenal. After 4 months of 4 days a week hot yoga I'm down to 230 and feel fantastic. I've dropped from a 40 waist with a boiler down to a 36 verging on 34 and am skiing runs nonstop, that I was skiing in 4 segments two years ago. I can not overstate the overall impact of Hot Yoga on my physical, and thus mental well being.

I'm not a big drinker, but I would not at all be surprised if taking Hot Yoga helped clear your mind, stress, etc. To the point it lessened the urge to drink.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Me: 64 5'11" 175-180. Walk 4-5 miles/day; stretch for 1/2hr. 4x/wk.; Sauna 3-4x/wk.; Ski 3-4 days/wk.; traverse/hike for turns (think Catherine's, High-T, Daly to X) 2x/wk. Sleep by 10; up by 6. Bum knees and back. 5-6oz. bourbon/wk. I feel fairly fit, but not as fit as many
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

One of the most inspiring things to me was skiing with an older couple that Harry was friends with back when we all lived in Big Sky. They were either late 70s/early 80s but they were still crushing it. Not charging down gnarly stuff, but still kicking ass down groomers, solid skiing, called it good after a couple hours and went home for lunch. They both looked amazing and were clearly in great shape for anybody regardless of age. Also seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger in that Netflix documentary of him and guy's still working out every day and looking fit AF for 76.

I think there's a lot to be said for just generally taking good care of yourself. Skiing clearly helps, maybe living up at altitude (Summit County, CO is a "blue zone" where people live a long time - maybe it's more the lifestyle that coincides with said altitude), not eating like a morbidly obese Southerner (ie overly-processed junk like everything at WalMart), chilling out on our old vices, and maybe most important of all, less stress (a tall order for most of us). If I make it to 50, hopefully I'm doing physically well at least. I only say "if" because shitty hearts run in my family and it could blow up any time. So far, so good though. Gonna keep on taking care of the ol' ticker best I can even if it's expiration date's coming up.

70 next year. Still rockin pow in the trees. Rowing the Grand in two weeks. Hell, any punk can ski to 50

48 over here.
    Definitely on the near beers instead of alcohol, seems to help, and trying to keep active with a desk job. After many years of 100 day seasons, the hardest part of the transition to weekend warrior is actually the work needed to keep the fitness. That's becoming easier with some diet changes and less booze.
    50 definitely seems like a barrier at the moment.

49. 50 next Jan. Been threatening.to get in shape for a while now. Things are good overall. Being sober is the most important thing for me. Id be a 10 a day guy otherwise.

Life is good. I am tired, rusty, stiff and my piss and vinegar supply is dwindling...

I'd love to be as fit as I was at 50. As much as I hike, bike and paddle all summer, train all fall, and ski all winter I can't close to the endurance I had in my 50s when I was working and had no time to do any of that. Biology matters. Staying fit as you age is a combination of determination and acceptance.

51 here. Started stretching and using a foam roller last year to address some IT band issues that I think were irritated by a lot of bike riding.

Quit the office job a couple years ago, and am in much better health since - constant stress and eating out often, sitting at a desk all day, are recipes for bad health. I know (knew) a couple of people in my former profession who either dropped dead early, like 40-45, or in one case, actually died at his desk over the weekend. His secretary found him on Monday morning.

More exercise and better food has led to dropping 15 pounds without really trying. I like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm 50 and can keep up with most. There is no secret, it is all of it. Disciple and accountability. You'll turn the corner and it will get easier once you realize that nothing is better than feeling good. I like healthy better than fit as there is a bit of distinction to me.

54 and probably the best condition of my life, bike ride and gym routine at least an hour a day. Can still hold a conversation with a HR at 170 and that’s with a weed habit. Can’t complain with both parents in their 90’s going strong telling 100 year old jokes, I’m just trying not to get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I don’t think it ever was, it’s just a cliche and something insecure middle aged misogynists do

How does it equate to misogyny? There are plenty of 30 something women looking for a middle aged man with a Porsche and an identity crisis.

Btw. This place really seems in crisis lately--is there room in the budget for a real forum psychiatrist? And you dudes who are 50+ in the best shape of your lives...what the fuck were you doing to yourselves in your 20's?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Ah, 50s. Nature's built in point for some proper reflection on one's life and, ideally, taking stock of what one wants to be.

Like most others, my mental image is still of a younger man but sometimes I hear an older man talking. It's confusing.

Some experiences in no particular order:

Lean into being someone with some measure of experience and wisdom; exercise patience with younger generations.

Everyone's different but, after a life time of pursing out-n-out performance, I shifted gears to maximizing my experiences. I guess you can see this as slowing down but it's more of a shift of priorities. Instead of just pounding out miles running or cycling, reassess what you really want out of an effort or an activity. Lately, I can find value in some simple hikes and walks where soaking in the experience is life affirming. Taking the foot off of hard charge mode all the time. Pick goals and targets with more precision and act.

This dovetails a bit to shift in fitness goals. When I look around, the older models who are still being rad have shared traits: no one is carrying more mass than they need, activities are consistent and less all or nothing and apply conscientious choices in their selfcare. Overall health is more important than performance measurements. Most these older guys are good at walking the middle line, day to day living and less extreme indulgences - food, drink, drugs, sleep. Build that body for the long haul, mobility and flexibility, move, breathe. It will reward you with reliable performance when needed. A healthy heart will serve you more than a bench press max.

You've lived long enough to be free of other's expectations; let this liberate you - take action and control as you see fit.

Finally, 50s is a time of opportunity. Most of us have set a life already, have means and it's probably the sweet spot right before you have to care for elder parents. At this point, most of us have seen some opportunities we didn't take and wish we did; you're wise enough to know the importance of acting when life presents us with great timing for seizing the moment and taking action. Go for it - live. Tidy up your life.

One thing with me is little nagging injuries pop up and take longer to heal. Injured my elbow doing push-ups last week...that was/is annoying. I've put my body thru hell over the years, so I'm kind of expecting the mechanical side to break down. In trying to prevent injuries I've injured myself. Those ones hurt twice as much mentally.

I put some effort into staying fit, but primarily by having fun. Mtn bike as much as possible, trail building/maintenance is also a good workout, but just the nature of it has a lot of potential for an injury. I do an ab workout 3-5 days a week...all for skiing in my mind. Yoga every day. If I miss it I feel guilty which is kinda strange. I blame my parents for that whacky Irish catholic upbringing. Yoga is another one where you have to be aware of injuring yourself.

I just quit my hectic job, got another one, bought a peddle assist ebike and commute to work every day...it will also be great for trail building.

Eat whole foods, drink water, limit the shit foods, alcohol, and weed.

Not dead yet

Very nearly 53yo here.

^ oh yeah, try to be more like "the dude". Low stress is critical to physical well-being!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    ^ oh yeah, try to be more like "the dude". Low stress is critical to physical well-being!

50 is just a number. It was 46-47 for me. Like a switch was flipped in my body. Arms no longer long enough to read small print under artificial light. Sleep pattern changed, and not for the better. Same exercise and diet but gained another couple kg. I go splat instead of bounce now, and recovery is longer (if it happens at all). Sinuses have gone berserk, reminiscent of my pre-puberty years. And on and on.

It is taking a bit of adjustment, but that’s life. Adapt/change or take a dirt nap. And take joy in the little things and small victories.

And get off my lawn you young punks!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Lol. Long live the memes.