What Ski companies have good skins?

Bought my wife a pair of Volkl blaze precut skins and worked out really well. What other ski companies have good skins which of course are made by some skin company.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Blizzard and Black Crows.

Both made by Pomoca, incidentally

The ones that use Pomoca skins, essentially. To my knowledge - Volkl, Blizzard, Black Crows, WNDR, J Skis, K2, La Sportiva all use Pomoca skins. You can also search the Pomoca site for laser-cut skins for specific skis - https://www.pomoca.com/find-your-skin

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by mrkbrnblm; 03-07-2024 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkbrnblm View Post
    The ones that use Pomona skins...
    +1
    Although I've found Contours to glide about the same. I haven't tried to reglue a Contour Hybrid skin but Pomocos are standard fare for reglue.

Dynastar branded skins are Pomoca as well.

I thought Volkl was still using Colltex? I've got a couple pair of the blue Volkl Colltex skins and, if you can live with really strong glue, work great. The roll up smaller and weigh less than just about any of the others. Never had a problem with snow creep no matter the conditions. Just starting to try out some Contour pure guides right now. Need more time before rendering an opinion but so far so good

Good point, I’m wrong… volkl was Coltex and (I think) is now Kohla or whatever the koala brand is? The koala ones get bad reviews. People like the Coltex skins but I’ve never gotten along with them.

The ones that use Pomoca skins, essentially. To my knowledge - Volkl, Blizzard, Black Crows, WNDR, J Skis, K2, La Sportiva all use Pomoca skins. You can also search the Pomoca site for laser-cut skins for specific skis - https://www.pomoca.com/find-your-skin

moment also uses them as well

I haven't been too impressed with the Armada-branded Kohlas I got last year. I've had issues a few times with glue failing in the field, which isn't something I've dealt with much in the past as long as I've been reasonably careful.

Good point, I’m wrong… volkl was Coltex and (I think) is now Kohla or whatever the koala brand is? The koala ones get bad reviews. People like the Coltex skins but I’ve never gotten along with them.

Think you are wrong there too. My older Volkl skins are Koala and my newer ones are Coltex. The koala ones are great once the vacuumed silicon crap is removed and replaced with real skin glue.

Dentist Priced Ski Skins are Pomoca as well. Rossignol uses Pomoca.

Has anyone else used Contour Guides? I just cut a new pair 3 days ago and only got to climb about 300' vert so no real experience yet. They seem to be available and priced right by comparison

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Think you are wrong there too. My older Volkl skins are Koala and my newer ones are Coltex. The koala ones are great once the vacuumed silicon crap is removed and replaced with real skin glue.

Dentist Priced Ski Skins are Pomoca as well. Rossignol uses Pomoca.
    You could be right! Either way, I like the Pomoca ones better. I don’t like the koala’s stupid tail buckle thing, and the glue sucks enough that I think it’s worth just stripping and re-glueing with gold label. Coltex glue is much better but I think it’s too tacky when it’s fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    +1
    Although I've found Contours to glide about the same. I haven't tried to reglue a Contour Hybrid skin but Pomocos are standard fare for reglue.

Regluing hybrid skins with a different type of glue is doable and recommended but it's a pain in the ass

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    Regluing hybrid skins with a different type of glue is doable and recommended but it's a pain in the ass
    I remember you saying you were doing the hot glue on glue-less skins BUT it didnt work for me, every speck of gold label came off into a 15$ ball and I have no interest in trying it again

but i am curious how you made it stick ?

edit : heated and scrapped the skin but it didnt work
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-09-2024 at 12:29 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Worked for me after removing all the silicon with a heat gun and scraping

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Did you really replace the vacuum skins with glue? How?