Check Out Our Shop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    If you ever rode motos, you know about Oury Grips.
    They're the most, softest, and grippiest rubber you can put on on a normal diameter grip.
    (If you think vibration is an issue when mountain biking, try riding with a 600cc single roaring away. As usual with mountain bike tech, the motorcycle guys figured it out decades ago.)

You can get them in MTB versions with no inner or outer flanges, and in both single and dual clamp lock-ons.
    https://www.lizardskins.com/oury

I prefer the no flange, no lock on version: as mentioned before, lock-ons don't absorb vibrations nearly as well because part of the rubber gets traded for the plastic sleeve.
    They come in a bunch of crazy colors, including glow in the dark, but I usually run basic black.
    These might be a good solution for those who don't like the feel of silicone foam grips.

Those were my grip of choice for many years. Don't even remember why I stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

My new eeb came with the Santa Cruz e-carbon bars, and I gave them a try because they appeared pretty similar to OneUp (oval center area). I found them to be a lot less compliant. I suspect the cause is the SC ones stay thicker out until the top of the rise, whereas OneUp tapers down in diameter much earlier (start of the rise). The SC are also listed as an 8.5 degree backsweep (vs. 8 OneUp), but the difference felt more than that. I went back to OneUp and things felt much better first ride.

Also, while they're pricey (though not RevGrip pricey), I'm a huge fan of the new Ergon GDH grips. They combine a lot of the features of my favorite grips: ODI Elite Pros & DMR Deathgrips. They have the offset rubber thickness on the top and soft cushioned outer edge from the Deathgrips, and the palm filling oval and plastic end protector from the Elite Pros. The rubber is nice and damp feeling, but isn't wearing out under the heel of my palm like Deathgrips do. And the plastic end protector is much narrower & sticks out from the grip (compared to ODI), so that it doesn't act as a pressure point under the outer flange, and also makes contact with the dirt/trees before the rubber.

So one thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned in here - fit.

If your hands are going numb it's probably because you have too much weight on them. Saddle could be too forward or nosed down. Might be worth starting by moving the seat just slightly back, slightly flatter, and a touch lower to compensate (moving the seat back also moves it farther from the BB).

But I suppose with modern steep STA bikes it can be hard to get in a more balanced position especially riding on flatter/rolling terrain. Personally if i feel just slightly too far forward on flat ground it tends to work pretty well actually on trails and climbing.

no where does " YMMV " apply more than bike fit, I know seat forward/ nose high/thin grips work best for me

I put my saddle flat cuz i read its better but it wasn't, after changing from flat saddle to nose 1" high a world class road coach told me " yeah you look better on the bike " and she would have looked at some asses in her career

but every asshole is different
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Also, while they're pricey (though not RevGrip pricey), I'm a huge fan of the new Ergon GDH grips. They combine a lot of the features of my favorite grips: ODI Elite Pros & DMR Deathgrips. They have the offset rubber thickness on the top and soft cushioned outer edge from the Deathgrips, and the palm filling oval and plastic end protector from the Elite Pros. The rubber is nice and damp feeling, but isn't wearing out under the heel of my palm like Deathgrips do. And the plastic end protector is much narrower & sticks out from the grip (compared to ODI), so that it doesn't act as a pressure point under the outer flange, and also makes contact with the dirt/trees before the rubber.
    Those GDH's look nice. Unfortunately appear to be out of stock everywhere. I have some GD1's that I like better than most grips, so I might end up with another set of those.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Those GDH's look nice. Unfortunately appear to be out of stock everywhere. I have some GD1's that I like better than most grips, so I might end up with another set of those.
    I was able to order them direct from Ergon USA. Haven't found them anywhere else.

Another path, that yields similar shapes as the ergon grips, is going with uniformly tapered grips.

The new-ish Raceface Chester 34mm grip is the same diameter inside and outside as the GA2 Fat, but due to a more uniform round shape, takes less screwing around to find the **exact** right positioning. The RF chester also ride much smoother in the hand, as the ergons have fairly thick plastic cores in comparison.

Long story short, my destroyed wrists are LOVING the combo of the Chester grips with PNW Loam 10* backsweep bars. Takes so much pressure off the joint and hands both up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Those were my grip of choice for many years. Don't even remember why I stopped.
    Probably because for a long time they only came with the inner flanges which you had to cut off, and didn't have a lock-on version. Might be worth trying again!

Here's an old moto racer tip for any grip, like Ourys or Ergons, that covers the end of the bar: drop a penny inside before mounting them. It won't stop the end of the grip from getting chewed up, but it'll stop the bar end from getting damaged. It's like putting an end cap inside the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Another path, that yields similar shapes as the ergon grips, is going with uniformly tapered grips.

The new-ish Raceface Chester 34mm grip is the same diameter inside and outside as the GA2 Fat, but due to a more uniform round shape, takes less screwing around to find the **exact** right positioning. The RF chester also ride much smoother in the hand, as the ergons have fairly thick plastic cores in comparison.

Long story short, my destroyed wrists are LOVING the combo of the Chester grips with PNW Loam 10* backsweep bars. Takes so much pressure off the joint and hands both up and down.
    Ooh, less fiddling. I could get behind that concept.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

New ODI Vanquish grips using D30 for anti-vibration and shock absorption.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/odi-la...-compound.html

https://www.odigrips.com/products/va...on-grips-135mm
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    If you ever rode motos, you know about Oury Grips.
    They're the most, softest, and grippiest rubber you can put on on a normal diameter grip.
    (If you think vibration is an issue when mountain biking, try riding with a 600cc single roaring away. As usual with mountain bike tech, the motorcycle guys figured it out decades ago.)

You can get them in MTB versions with no inner or outer flanges, and in both single and dual clamp lock-ons.
    https://www.lizardskins.com/oury

I prefer the no flange, no lock on version: as mentioned before, lock-ons don't absorb vibrations nearly as well because part of the rubber gets traded for the plastic sleeve.
    They come in a bunch of crazy colors, including glow in the dark, but I usually run basic black.
    These might be a good solution for those who don't like the feel of silicone foam grips.

The lovely Mrs EWG has been searching for a grip solution for a while due to wrist pain. Rocky tech downhills cause the issues. She already has ODIs and I was thinking that was about as cushy as she could get, but they're lock-ons. Nice "duh" reminder here that slipions will be cushier. I think I'm gonna try that for her. Thanks.