Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wife ski recs

Wife ski recs

5'6 160#, East Coast skier transplanted to PNW. Likes to make perfect small turns. "I don't feel like I need to go fast"

Looking for a soft chop/powder ski 106-112mm to keep her afloat on powder days and day after. Sweet spot size seems to be 168-172. Radius 15-19ish. Coming off 10 yr old ex-rentals maybe 100 waist with no rocker and close to clapped out..

Demo'd and liked:
    -Sheeva 10
    -Bent 110

Tried and didn't like
    -4frnt Devastators "they're too heavy"
    -ON3P Pygmy goat (174) "These feel like concrete bricks!"

I don't think she understands or cares about mount point. I had to show her what rocker is.

Candidates:
    Nordica enforcer 108 W
    Santa Anna 110
    Atris birdie
    Sheeva 10 vs 11
    Bent 110

Others I'm missing? User-friendlly, intuitive with good manners, under 1850g, trying to stay away from reverse camber

Atris birdie seems really good, but a bit narrower. A very user-friendly, comfortable, but has some backbone

Quote Originally Posted by Huskier View Post
    5'6 160#, East Coast skier transplanted to PNW. Likes to make perfect small turns. "I don't feel like I need to go fast"

Looking for a soft chop/powder ski 106-112mm to keep her afloat on powder days and day after. Sweet spot size seems to be 168-172. Radius 15-19ish. Coming off 10 yr old ex-rentals maybe 100 waist with no rocker and close to clapped out..

Demo'd and liked:
    -Sheeva 10
    -Bent 110

Tried and didn't like

I don't think she understands or cares about mount point. I had to show her what rocker is.

Candidates:
    Nordica enforcer 108 W
    Santa Anna 110
    Atris birdie
    Sheeva 10 vs 11
    Bent 110

Others I'm missing? User-friendlly, intuitive with good manners, under 1850g, trying to stay away from reverse camber
    Volkl Blaze?

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

Mindbender might be good too - pick whatever width you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine enjoys her Faction Dancer 3, however she does do meaningful short turns very often.

Atris Birdie is a good option too, however they dont float the best.

Wife ski recs

My wife demo’ed and loved the Salomon . Qst 106 and we bought ir. After time she did say they felt heavy.

My wife is similar size to your, a little shorter and lighter, within 2” and 10 lbs, so pretty similar.

So I bought her the Salomon echo 106 in same length and she loves it!!!!!

She has gravitated to shorter skis and loves the 157 cm

Looks like these come in 165 and 173 cm

I think the 165 or 173 would be ok.

I’d probably recommend the 165 cm

Demo tip

Probably easier to demo the qst106, and just know the echo with the exact same dimensions, will ski similarly but just be lighter

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Aggressive in my own mind

We ski Teton Village for the most part now, now that we moved back here this past summer.

She skied the qst106 at Taos, Snowmass areas and Jackson last year.

172 Mfree 108

Icelandic Maiden 101/111?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe try the 4frnt Arethra. My wife loves her pair. She isn't a short turn slow skiier though. Skiis do great in chop and r easy to ski.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

This describes my wife as well.

Put her on some Ripstick 94 W this season and shes very happy. Light, short turn radius and great edge hold. Shovels are fat and float well. You could look into the 102 W.

Elans measure short, so we sized up.

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    We ski Teton Village for the most part now, now that we moved back here this past summer.

She skied the qst106 at Taos, Snowmass areas and Jackson last year.

My wife tried the Icelandic maiden in a 101 mm. She is not stoked on it compared to the Salomon

Second the Atris Birdie. My wife has two pair (one for resort and one for touring). Easy pivot, floats well, surprisingly awesome in chop and bumps as long as she has a bit of finesse (which it sounds like she does).

K2 106c older women's version should fit the bill

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

The radius is a bit longer, but damn if my wife doesn't love her Deathwishes.

My wife has loved her 170 Head Kore 105s for years (mostly skied at Alpental), and might just replace them next season with a fresh pair. Great float for a daily driver, easily handles chopped up leftovers, and she prefers them for anything other than a full-on powder day. That ski has a really nice combination of dampness and stability at a surprisingly light weight - every replacement she's considered is quite a bit heavier, so she just keeps skiing those.

After seeing the other recommendations below, edited to add that my wife skis a 178 Yvette 112 for her pow/touring ski and loves those just as much.
    Last edited by 3pin; 03-01-2024 at 01:17 PM.

Demo'd and liked:
    -Sheeva 10
    -Bent 110

Tried and didn't like

Candidates:
    Nordica enforcer 108 W
    Santa Anna 110
    Atris birdie
    Sheeva 10 vs 11
    Bent 110

Everything you just described is exactly how my ex skis and is also the same size as your wife. She skis the 168 DPS Yvette 112 Foundation and LOVES them, might be worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Horse View Post
    The radius is a bit longer, but damn if my wife doesn't love her Deathwishes.

This is a super interesting thought. 174? What's the straight tape pull on those?

DPS Yyvette and others great recs so far.

Yvette’s are so easy to ski. Also, the ski that used to be called the Le Petite from Praxis is now the GPO Junior, my 25-year-old skis them everywhere fast, and my wife skis them slow in the Hobacks at JH, (for example).
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

My girlfriend is going to transition to skiing from snowboarding so this thread is very useful, she's a little taller and a little lighter than the OP.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask here: we're going to get a set-up that she can tour with (mostly hut trips), what bindings? I'm a tele skier so I know squat about AT bindings. Eventually she might want a dedicated resort set-up but for now it doesn't make sense to have more than one. She won't be mashing them, so they don't need to be the burliest, but they do need to stand up to use in the resort.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This is a super interesting thought. 174? What's the straight tape pull on those?
    172cm on the nose.

She's right about the same size as your wife, and I tried to convince her she should be on the 179cm because the mount point is -5, but she loves the trees so wanted something easy to pivot. As I said, she raves about them in all conditions.

My wife is similar size and skill and loves her Volkl Blaze 106 in 165 length. They are brainlessly easy to ski in anything soft, tips never sink, can be pivoted, slarved, carved. The men’s and women’s skis are the same except for top sheets and can be found cheap. I ski the 179 with Tectons for my side country ski and just picked up a 186 to mount alpine. Love ‘em.

Highly recommend the line pandora 110s. Great powder ski and not super demanding.

the enforcer isn't too demanding but it's at the end of her comfort zone. could be good if you want her to ever so slowly begin to experience the joy of slightly larger radius turns... it "feels like" a volkl in those small short lengths.
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

Any update on your patient, Huskydoc?