Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hooky Skiing

Hooky Skiing

How many of us sneak in ski days this way? Calling out at work / school, WFH really at the local hill, etc.

How & why do you do it? Be interesting to hear the motives & methods that the collective uses.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    stay outta my line

Are you a cop?

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Are you a cop?
    If they’re a cop they have to admit it when you ask, right?

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Are you a cop?
    No

stay outta my line

I thought this might be about deburring edges when I saw the title.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by TransplantedFromRMNP View Post
    No

You have to tell me if you are.

When i had a boss, i straight up told him a few days prior that if the storm panned out i would probably not be in till 1pm on the day. No-showing and leaving people in the lurch is a shitty thing to do, and i found that people didnt care as long as i gave them a heads up and prepared well so my absence didnt cause a bottleneck or undue work on them. Now that i dont have a boss its a similar calculation of making sure i wont be a bottleneck or cause undue work on others or leave a client in the lurch.

Back in school i played hooky all the time, but that was easy, i just wouldnt show up to class and would grab the notes from a buddy afterwards.

When I was a resident I spent a year in the lab, running animal experiments. I scheduled the work around the forecast--no work on powder days. The professor whose lab it was was pretty laid back and didn't care. That was the year I learned to ski powder at Heavenly and that plastic tire "chains" (remember those?) are shit. And I actually wound up with one very good paper.

I quickly read the title as hookers skiing. That might have been more entertaining.
    I still call it The Jake.

detune tip/tail

every wednesday usually at copper (well, I try to) if possible, not this week as traveling for work. other days as needed depending on work and weather.

i've worked my way into a role with the company that does not require me to be behind a desk. Just get the tasks done on time and do it well, keep everyone off your back. Im not exec level though and no desire to be. ski commute with usually 2-3 in the car and been many days doing a conf call or working on the computer while others drive up the hill.

last week I called my boss late in the afternoon, not normal but not unexpected. his first words on the phone was not hello but "I know, I know you're going skiing" but I was just calling about random work shit.

I put in the time when its needed, OT when needed, and fuck off when not. I could make more $$$ working somewhere else but I like my role and my freedom to bail out when needed.

^^^ Freedom is priceless. I tell my boss, fukit, going skiing.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    detune tip/tail
    This.

And also after you sharpen the sides, take the base bevel guide and a 100-200 diamond stone and lightly remove the burr.
    A monkey can press the button on a Wintersteiger. Nothing beats a good hand tune.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Thought this thread was going to be about Hooky.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I used to often do a few laps on weekdays with a govy worker who told me his wife who also worked for gov can see on her LT that he is not on his LT and obviously up the hill skiing

I had a pair of gen verdicts that were positively dangerous cuz they would hook and thro me into the trees, I dulled the tail edges 5 cms at a time with some emery cloth, didn't take much I think 10 cm and no more trips to the trees
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    detune tip/tail
    Tech Talk jong! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    every wednesday usually at copper (well, I try to) if possible, not this week as traveling for work. other days as needed depending on work and weather.

i've worked my way into a role with the company that does not require me to be behind a desk. Just get the tasks done on time and do it well, keep everyone off your back. Im not exec level though and no desire to be. ski commute with usually 2-3 in the car and been many days doing a conf call or working on the computer while others drive up the hill.

last week I called my boss late in the afternoon, not normal but not unexpected. his first words on the phone was not hello but "I know, I know you're going skiing" but I was just calling about random work shit.

I put in the time when its needed, OT when needed, and fuck off when not. I could make more $$$ working somewhere else but I like my role and my freedom to bail out when needed.
    This is my setup as well and its great. If it looks to be especially good, I'll give the powers that be a heads up I won't be reachable for a day, but otherwise I'm free to ski as long as I get my shit done and take the random call from the lift if necessary.
    Live Free or Die

Just did on Monday! Worked out that had to be somewhere on Tuesday for work closer to the cabin than home. Big fan of doing it with the kids on Fridays when the mountain is quieter and on weeks where they are doing nothing like watching a movie in school that day.
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

20cm rule most of my work life. Since a good part of my career was management (when I was working in the winter), I didn't really have to answer to a boss. I was lucky that way.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Better yet become a glaciologist, snow scientist, etc--play hooky for a living without having to work for starvation wages and deal with the public (ski patrol, instructor, etc.)

Become an influencer.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Better yet become a glaciologist, snow scientist, etc--play hooky for a living without having to work for starvation wages and deal with the public (ski patrol, instructor, etc.)
    I know one of those guys.
    Sent from the lift.
    stay outta my line

In my last job I had the best boss and awesome direct reports.

I would call the boss and tell him, "I'm not feeling work today; I think I'll go skiing instead." His answer was usually, "Lucky you, have fun."

I would then call my DRs and tell them the same and they were all, "Great, he won't be bothering us today."

I was a fed and we had crazy numbers of PTO and sick days.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Become an influencer.
    The answer to most of life’s problems these days.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Become an influencer.
    I’m trying to grow tits.
    And yet my ass is still flat.
    . . .