Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favorite beginner-friendly mountains/lifts for non-beginners

What mountains or lifts do you find feature easy terrain that you find engaging despite the lack of challenge?

My 7 year old son is now very into skiing so I've been spending a lot of time on green and blue trails and I'm always happy to find easy terrain that's still fun to ski and impressed by the hills that manage it. So what's your choice for lowest difficulty/highest fun factor spots?

My current choice: Brian Head's Navajo Peak lifts (Navajo Express and Sunflower). Navajo Express in particular has really impressed me. It's only 600 ft of vertical and basically serves a number of green trails that come off to either side, but nevertheless is pretty fun. There is a gully in the center that you can drop in and out of and the two longest, flattest trails along the boundaries let you drop in through ungroomed areas and little "chutes" through the trees. One side has a long glade that isn't on the map, but is well cleared out and has tons of potential wiggly lines. On either side of the some of the trails there are frequent little detours that pop around a few trees or up a bank then back to the train. My son loves these "cut throughs" and basically will lap the glade and little chutes to the lower cut throughs all day. Compared to the wide groomers that make up a lot of green trails, I also find it very entertaining.

So what other areas have you found that have features and terrain that make the easy ways down the mountain engaging for skiers of all levels? My son and I have spring breaks that line up this year, so I'm taking notes...

Buttermilk comes to mind, particularly West Buttermilk. Lots of easy groomed runs with lots of glades/tree trails winding in and out and connecting them. Spent countless hours lapping them with my girls when they were little.

Snowmass has lots of that too but it's more spread out across the mountain. Buttermilk is smaller and more compact.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Monarch Pass, Wolf Creek, June Lake, and I'll think about it some more...

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Your dog just ate an avocado!

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    Buttermilk comes to mind, particularly West Buttermilk. Lots of easy groomed runs with lots of glades/tree trails winding in and out and connecting them. Spent countless hours lapping them with my girls when they were little.

Snowmass has lots of that too but it's more spread out across the mountain. Buttermilk is smaller and more compact.
    So good. Especially, Tiehack for introducing kids to blues and easy blacks. No lines. Easy walk from the car.

Summit Central.
    When the Alpy z00fest rages, I go over there and f00nt around on their express and silver fir.

Purgatory.
    Mid week empty, lots of variety, affordably relative to T'ride.

Anthony Lakes
    Has only 1 "expert" run, but tons of fun in the acres of wandering sidetrails. 1 lift, ch333p.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I havent rode it yet cuz I am too cool but the local hill got one of them magic carpets which is great for the beginners so no more T-bar antics

the schools and First nations spend a lot of money up there so you wana cater to them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Lots of good suggestions, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Summit Central.
    When the Alpy z00fest rages, I go over there and f00nt around on their express and silver fir.

Purgatory.
    Mid week empty, lots of variety, affordably relative to T'ride.

Anthony Lakes
    Has only 1 "expert" run, but tons of fun in the acres of wandering sidetrails. 1 lift, ch333p.
    I've been interested in Purgatory as its on the pass we have. We basically have 9 days. The ambitious option would be to do a loop that went something like Las Vegas to AZ Snowbowl to Purgatory to Bryan Head then home (with possibly a stop at a different CO or Utah resort along the way). The drives too/from Purgatory would be fairly long though so I was curious how it was for the type of terrain I was talking about. Good to hear.

Timberline at Mt Hood is a good place for tons of green/blue runs. I went there last weekend for the first time to watch my kid so a slopestyle comp. Runs are long and lines are short. The only negative is dodging the knuckle draggers.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Around the PNW at least:
    Bachelor
    Big White
    Whitefish

Brighton has some great beginner areas.

Backside of White Pass. Tons of mellow groomers, glades and gullies.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Cedar Park lift at Schweitzer.

Powderhorn CO

Bachelor

Mt hood meadows-ish

But powderhorn is amazing and bachelor is similarly great

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Backside of White Pass. Tons of mellow groomers, glades and gullies.

Ditto White Pass. I haven't been since they added the new terrain, but I learned to ski up there and spent a lot of time with my dad and brother on the bird runs off chair 4. Mellow skiing for sure, but it's a really pretty spot with enough trees and side trails to keep you entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefSupreme View Post
    Ditto White Pass. I haven't been since they added the new terrain, but I learned to ski up there and spent a lot of time with my dad and brother on the bird runs off chair 4. Mellow skiing for sure, but it's a really pretty spot with enough trees and side trails to keep you entertained.
    Then you would love the expansion. With a little new snow it’s a noodler’s paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Lots of good suggestions, thanks!

I've been interested in Purgatory as its on the pass we have. We basically have 9 days. The ambitious option would be to do a loop that went something like Las Vegas to AZ Snowbowl to Purgatory to Bryan Head then home (with possibly a stop at a different CO or Utah resort along the way). The drives too/from Purgatory would be fairly long though so I was curious how it was for the type of terrain I was talking about. Good to hear.
    Tride has long grromers on the village side like See To Forever and Gallopiing Goose . Use Sunshine Express to get up on the mountain and access Gold Hills lift to get to See2.

The town side is steep, but you can ride the gondy down. It's expensive, but if you have the $, give it a go.

Tride has long grromers on the village side like See To Forever and Gallopiing Goose . Use Sunshine Express to get up on the mountain and access Gold Hills lift to get to See2.

The town side is steep, but you can ride the gondy down. It's expensive, but if you have the $, give it a go.
    Cool. I'm looking at some of the ticket pricing at Purgatory and it's weirdly expensive the week that we would be there. More expensive than any other week's weekday pricing by a substantial margin. The prices themselves don't matter to us as we have passes, but I assume it means that the hill thinks that they'll be swamped that week and I can't figure out why. It doesn't seem to match up with CO school holidays and I don't see any major events they're promoting.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Cool. I'm looking at some of the ticket pricing at Purgatory and it's weirdly expensive the week that we would be there. More expensive than any other week's weekday pricing by a substantial margin. The prices themselves don't matter to us as we have passes, but I assume it means that the hill thinks that they'll be swamped that week and I can't figure out why. It doesn't seem to match up with CO school holidays and I don't see any major events they're promoting.
    Texas.

Texas.
    Ooooh you're right, it's Texas's spring break. Hmmm, a mountain full of Texans doesn't necessarily make it more appealing. ha

After a few days there earlier this month, Sugar Bowl seems like it should be on this list. Some seriously strep terrain (see the Palisades), good regular advanced terrain off Disney chair, great Side/backcountry access and lots of pods that are almost exclusively green and/or blue. Plus a really laid back, homey vibe. Think I'll be dragging the kids there next year.

Winter Park might fit the bill. Lots of beginner/ intermediate terrain. Some low angle beginner tree runs, too.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

If coming to canukistan for good exchange rates on our peso, Sun Peaks is impossible to beat. Not only an easy run off of every chair but experts and beginners can all ride the same lifts all day and be happy. Best mountain I've been to for beginners.
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 03-18-2024 at 10:47 AM.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Cooper is some low gradient fun. I have a good time whenever Im there.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Winter Park might fit the bill. Lots of beginner/ intermediate terrain. Some low angle beginner tree runs, too.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    The Winter Park side is great for beginners and intermediates.
    Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post
    Cooper is some low gradient fun. I have a good time whenever Im there.
    Love the vibe at Cooper. And if you're looking for low angle, that's the spot.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

For some East Coast love, I think it is hard to beat S6. Its quaint, you can ski the entire mountain by like maybe day 3 on skis outside of one run, and its just in general a cool spot. Clientele is a little bougie, but its at least bougie families doing the family thing. The layout is also awesome as you can let your kiddo explore on his own or just with friends and they can't get lost or end up way on the other side of some massive place.
    Live Free or Die