Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Mac Turns 40!

Had a friend who was an early HyperCard developer back in the mid 80's. He helped me buy a used Mac Plus, and I picked up a SCSI hard drive (I think it was 40 MB!) to supplement the floppy drives. Desktop publishing, audio and image editing, MIDI sequencing - it was amazing what that little box opened up to the world!

https://www.reddit.com/r/80s/comment..._the_macintosh
    The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

I'll never forget having one of those on the secretary in the family room growing up. Each family member taking their turn doing seemingly space age shit with it; for me that meant playing some "video game" where you were a robot in a post apocalyptic world and had to figure stuff out. I lost interest until Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago came out.
    I still call it The Jake.

Ah, the world that opened up when TC/ICP protocol came to my LCII.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Leisure suit Larry anyone? Lol.
    sigless.

I helped build the breadboard (hardware simulator) of the M68000 microprocessor that was in that first Mac. I have some stories, but don’t want any lawsuits.

Anyone play Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle? Holy shit I poured a ton of hours into those games

I remember my Apple IIC fondly, though it's the last Apple I've ever owned. T'was stolen in a home break-in.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Wow! I used to have a 20lb SE-30 I'd transport between home and office. People back pack with smaller packs than I used for that thing. Fun times, a zillion Macs and devices later and time sure flew by.

(When I got the 1st iPod and ripped all my CDs, everyone thought I was nutz.)
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

My name is Rideski and I've been an on and off Apple user for almost that long.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Anyone play Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle? Holy shit I poured a ton of hours into those games
    those damn squeaking bats!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    those damn squeaking bats!
    YES!!! I freaking loved those games back in the day. Well, good news. Now you can play them emulated online for free! (along with an absolute crapton of all the other games you may remember from the 80s and 90s). Here they are in all their monochromatic glory:

Dark Castle
    https://classicreload.com/mac-dark-castle.html

Beyond Dark Castle
    https://classicreload.com/macex-beyond-dark-castle.html

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Leisure suit Larry anyone? Lol.
    That was Commodore64 territory.

At a friends house.
    I still call it The Jake.

Wolfenstein

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I helped build the breadboard (hardware simulator) of the M68000 microprocessor that was in that first Mac. I have some stories, but don’t want any lawsuits.
    Hmm, too bad. I'll bet you have some good ones. Nothing you can safely share without fear of reprisal? ;-)

Your comment made me think of this...

It's from the perspective of the other side, but still a story of hardware, software, and a tyrannical S&M visionary working together to pull off something special. Really enjoyed watching it, and thought it captured well the vibe of that ride and time. Originally on AMC, also currently streaming on Prime.
    The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

A friend of mine had one of the early Apple IIe or whatever they were called. We'd go and play castle Wolfenstein for hours among other games. My parents got a commodore 64 early 80's. Frogger, load runner, pinball game called Davids midnight magic. Some dungeons and dragons type games that were pretty hard but really fun and seemed really epic for the time. I think it only had 64 kb of memory so you had to load the game off a 5" square floppy disk. We got a Mac after that, maybe 1992. Games like SimCity were cool. We had a mission impossible game that was killer. Dot matrix printer and a 14.4 modem.

The mile long dot matrix banners I would setup and print to leave churning out in the computer room were hilarious.

First computer was from Texas Instruments. Never did upgrade before I moved out of the house.
    High school won a contest and had a whole lab of amigas - that was cool. Computer teacher was a real dick and locked the lab during lunch, because he could. So us misfits got our fix on the counselling room apple IIe. Also remember heading to a friend’s place down the street to play on his Commodore 64, loading games off of cassette tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    Hmm, too bad. I'll bet you have some good ones. Nothing you can safely share without fear of reprisal? ;-)

Your comment made me think of this...

It's from the perspective of the other side, but still a story of hardware, software, and a tyrannical S&M visionary working together to pull off something special. Really enjoyed watching it, and thought it captured well the vibe of that ride and time. Originally on AMC, also currently streaming on Prime.
    The only interesting stories I have are the ones that could cause problems if the wrong people read them. I’ve read some revisionist accounts written by some of the other team members which don’t jive with the way I remember things. But those were the guys who got promotions and stayed with the company, so they got to create the historical record.

Hopefully you got some stock out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Hopefully you got some stock out of it.
    Not a lot from that company at that time. I did better at a startup I worked at later. However, I’m pretty stupid when it comes to those kind of things. I watched several of the guys I worked with back in those days become multimillionaires and retire young. Whereas I became a thousandaire and worked well past full retirement age.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Wow. That’s cool.

I couldn’t remember the name. But yep. Squeaky bats and hours of playtime in school.

Got a mac plus with school discounts.

WYSIWYG
    What a revolution. Way ahead of its time. Even in monochrome.
    Years later after graduation I had to adapt to corporate america and WordPerfect deciding if green text or red text was underlined or not.

Apple really fucked up by thinking the youth would be the market when instead they should have subsidized the corporate market and crushed the satans spawn bill gates.
    . . .

Thought this post was about me and then I remembered that I’m not 40.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Our high school had one, created many collages for punk shows on that little machine.
    I had a real trippy one for Screaming Trees I need to go find.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

Apple really fucked up by thinking the youth would be the market when instead they should have subsidized the corporate market and crushed the satans spawn bill gates.
    HIndsite ^^

probably nothing compared to IBM ignoring the PC, not that familiar with Apple but nobody was giving a fuck about any small computer back then
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    HIndsite ^^

probably nothing compared to IBM ignoring the PC, not that familiar with Apple but nobody was giving a fuck about any small computer back then
    Aww hell. You could go back to xerox thinking computers weren’t the future. They had some good shit and walked away. First mouse if I recall. Too busy to google but it’s a cool rabbit hole on xerox and what they could have done.
    . . .