Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    I’m pretty sure that’s incorrect. Scarpa is the only brand I know of that does that, I’m almost positive a Tecnica 26.0 and 26.5 are the same
    Whoops yeah I guess I had that wrong, sorry for the error

Tecnicas are known to run a little bit on the longer side. I can usually wear a mondo size smaller in them because I'm right in the middle.

I managed to try on a Ridge Pro in the size 27 today. The 27 is indeed the correct size for me, coming up from a 26 Vulcan makes sense for my foot. It sounds like if you’re in between sizes, maybe sizing up is okay. My 26 Vulcans had like a 5-8 mm shell fit before punching.

I’ll echo Norseman’s thoughts re ROM: not enough forward ROM vs tons of rearward ROM. I tried on the Radical Pro right afterwards, and it felt like the ROM was very similar forwards, maybe even more forward ROM in the Rad Pro with the instep buckle nice and tight. I tried both on with my footbeds and broken-in intuition pro tour liners.

Ridge Pro does feel pretty dang nice in ski mode, though I find it hard to carpet flex a boot with a rockered sole. Nicest I’ve felt in that weight class. If it fits, I can definitely see the appeal.

Sadly for fit, it felt too tight a lot of places. In the 6th toe area where I often need space for my tailor’s bunion but also particularly in the lateral midfoot, like in the styloid area. I’m not sure how much it can be punched, so I decided to pass. Especially at retail price. If I can find a pair for cheap in a year or two to play with, I might still give them a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Well, yeah.

But there's a practical limit to how far in front of your body you can weight a foot. I like to stride out long on the flats, too, but IMO you only need so much rearward ROM to get there. I'd prefer to have balanced ROM forward and backward, rather than biased rearward. Personal pref.
    I also think rearward movement is a bit more important for my stride overall. I still need some forward flex but less degrees from neutral than rearward

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I have the day off work, so I spent more time with the Ridge Pro. Maybe nobody cares about additional carpet testing impressions but I’ll give them in hopes it helps someone.

The forward ROM is better than I thought at first. Playing around with the buckles and stuff does make a difference. Upper Hoji lock strap and middle buckle tightness does impact things — looser than what you’d use for skiing reduces friction and gains a little ROM. In some ways this is great: you can keep it all tight for hot laps but also loosen things up to maximize ROM if there’s a long ascent.

Floating tongue placement also makes a difference. You can move the floating tongue upward/inward before tightening the BOA to lock the floating tongue where you want it. I think that helps keep the heel back/down and increase the volume in the midfoot a smidge, mostly vertically but also a little laterally IMHO. I thought that also helped with forward ROM, but I could be making that up in my head.

I first thought the ROM was similar to my Vulcans, but after more time I think it’s better than the Vulcan. Not night and day, but definitely there. I don’t think the Ridge Pro walks quite as well as the Skorpius, but the Ridge Pro is noticeably stiffer than the Skorpius in ski mode.

The Ridge Pro flex really seems dialed for how well it walks. Been a while since I had a ZeroG Tour Pro on my foot (this shop was out of my size) and I know the new ZGTP is supposed to walk better. So that will be a major shootout, I think.

I do think the Intuition Pro Tour liner is increasing friction in the walk mode. If I bought these, I’d be very curious about finding a substitute liner that walks better and is as low volume.

I’m really on the verge of buying them. I would be more hung ho if I hadn’t had the experience with the Skorpius where I was sure it would work with “just a little punching” only to find they couldn’t be punched enough for my feet.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

It does. Thanks. Pretty much tells me tha my considering the scorpius might be too risky. From what im gathering it'd need some punching for my foot. Ridge walks as well or better than the vulcan works for me if it skis as well as , now, multiple data points. Plus hoji free, vulcan have been good for me and the ridge fit seems atleast close enough to them. Now wait for the deals

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

If anyones lookin for a pair of 26.5s, I'm selling mine. $700 shipped CONUS, never skied, liners molded once.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I have the day off work, so I spent more time with the Ridge Pro. Maybe nobody cares about additional carpet testing impressions but I’ll give them in hopes it helps someone.

The forward ROM is better than I thought at first. Playing around with the buckles and stuff does make a difference. Upper Hoji lock strap and middle buckle tightness does impact things — looser than what you’d use for skiing reduces friction and gains a little ROM. In some ways this is great: you can keep it all tight for hot laps but also loosen things up to maximize ROM if there’s a long ascent.

Floating tongue placement also makes a difference. You can move the floating tongue upward/inward before tightening the BOA to lock the floating tongue where you want it. I think that helps keep the heel back/down and increase the volume in the midfoot a smidge, mostly vertically but also a little laterally IMHO. I thought that also helped with forward ROM, but I could be making that up in my head.

I first thought the ROM was similar to my Vulcans, but after more time I think it’s better than the Vulcan. Not night and day, but definitely there. I don’t think the Ridge Pro walks quite as well as the Skorpius, but the Ridge Pro is noticeably stiffer than the Skorpius in ski mode.

The Ridge Pro flex really seems dialed for how well it walks. Been a while since I had a ZeroG Tour Pro on my foot (this shop was out of my size) and I know the new ZGTP is supposed to walk better. So that will be a major shootout, I think.

I do think the Intuition Pro Tour liner is increasing friction in the walk mode. If I bought these, I’d be very curious about finding a substitute liner that walks better and is as low volume.

I’m really on the verge of buying them. I would be more hung ho if I hadn’t had the experience with the Skorpius where I was sure it would work with “just a little punching” only to find they couldn’t be punched enough for my feet.

Would you ski the radicial in a 27.5?

I’m in a 25.5 radical same as my langes, wondering if I would be a 26 here or not

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Would you ski the radicial in a 27.5?

I’m in a 25.5 radical same as my langes, wondering if I would be a 26 here or not
    I’d be 26.5 in the Radical, which is the same as my Langes, Vulcans, etc. I can’t speak to how the length in the 26 would feel for me — they were sold out of all but the 27 (and of course the width/volume would be worse in the 26).

I have to punch my 26 boots for length, and the length in the 27 Ridge was on the upper end of reasonable for me. Norseman’s experience makes me think it will be close for anyone who decides to size up.

I’m curious how you think the Vulcan is close to the Ridge ROM. The Vulcan (with bump stops) had zero forward ROM. The ridge pro has a lot, much like the Hoji free and Radical.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    If anyones lookin for a pair of 26.5s, I'm selling mine. $700 shipped CONUS, never skied, liners molded once.
    PM Sent
    "Oh this isn't Russia Danny, is this Russia"

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    I’m curious how you think the Vulcan is close to the Ridge ROM. The Vulcan (with bump stops) had zero forward ROM. The ridge pro has a lot, much like the Hoji free and Radical.
    I removed the bump stops from my Vulcans.

I dunno man, I’m just going based off how they felt walking around on flat ground with one on each foot (with my footbeds and Intuition Pro Tour). I didn’t walk uphill, which would have been a better test of forward ROM.

Eric sighting... using the boots he designed

Supposed to be getting my pair " any time now". Running out of season

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240222_114835.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	487845Name:  20240222_114503.jpeg
Views: 751
Size:  47.4 KBName:  20240222_114426.jpeg
Views: 750
Size:  57.8 KB

will we be getting a 'free' version of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    will we be getting a 'free' version of these?
    Didn't ask but I wouldn't be surprised at all

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Eric sighting... using the boots he designed

Supposed to be getting my pair " any time now". Running out of season

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240222_114835.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	487845Name:  20240222_114503.jpeg
Views: 751
Size:  47.4 KBName:  20240222_114426.jpeg
Views: 750
Size:  57.8 KB
    Super curious about these boots, but even more curious about his binding setup...

If hoji gets the 255 they could have made a few more

The guys at Mediocre amateur had this to say about it.

https://youtu.be/YPjahS0PHbQ

In the comments he mentions having skied the radical pro in a 26.5 and went with a 26.5 in this boot. Should be a good reference point for many here. Could be the goldilocks boot for skis ~1700 grams.

I sold my pair of 26s, but will likely at least try on some 25s next fall when they become available. I wear a 25 Zero G with a punch of punches, including a big toe punch. As has been noted, the Ridge seems short so I'm not sure if I'd be able to stretch a 25 enough to make it work length wise, but if so the volume might work enough that I wouldn't have to put a much thicker liner in it, which is where I ran into the problem of reducing the touring ROM. To me, with the stock liner in the touring ROM is pretty impressive (but not at all impressive with the thicker liner in it.)

Somewhere someone asked about touring with the middle buckle tightened to hold your ankle down. I tried this on my last day in the boot. This seemed to not have any impact on forward ROM but killed the rearward ROM because as you can see above its not a normal ankle buckle, its like a lower cuff buckle, and with it tight the cuff cant flex backwards compared to the tongue. Again, this was with the thicker liner.

The BOA like dial is kinda slow and tedious, much slower than a buckle and the slowest part of the transition with the boot (except when the Hojilock is really hard to push down). But I guess a buckle wouldn't work in this application.

Someone mentioned loosening the Hojilock velcro for long approaches then setting it to the appropriate tightness for doing laps or whatever. To me this is like the Scarpa F1 buckle not having enough throw to allow adequate touring ROM without resetting the velcro, if you have to do that then the system was designed poorly, because isn't that sort of the whole idea of the system?

Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post
    Super curious about these boots, but even more curious about his binding setup...
    Looks like a stripped down speed radical with a homemade riser, and a free ride spacer of some kind. Hoji may have designed the Ridge boot but he clearly had nothing to do with the Ridge bindings

Dynafit Ridge boots (and bindings)

Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post
    If I’m not mistaken, it looks like he made a Freeride spacer from the brake pad of a Radical 2.0. What a fantastic idea! So long as it is the right height for your boot, it would be as good as the factory ATK universal spacer. You could even grind the bottom side of the pad down to make it thinner if needed. Pretty burly AFD on there too.

Additionally, it looks like his skis have a DPS Phantom wax sticker on them? If Hoji uses Phantom, it gives me a whole lot more confidence that it actually works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa, I want to try that Radical AFD freeride spacer. What a good idea!

I removed the bump stops from my Vulcans.

I dunno man, I’m just going based off how they felt walking around on flat ground with one on each foot (with my footbeds and Intuition Pro Tour). I didn’t walk uphill, which would have been a better test of forward ROM.
    If you removed the bump stops that makes a ton of sense then I bet you’re correct. That’s a modification that makes a huge difference in the ROM though.

Some fit notes after a quick carpet test...

TLDR: I have pretty wide feet with a high instep. 27.5 Lange RX 130 MV alpine boots. Previously used size 28 TLT6Ps heavily punched for forefoot width and 27.5/28 Scarpa Maestrale RSs. Also working in some 27.5 Atomic Backland XTDs this season. My initial impression wearing a 28 Ridge Pro around the house were good, I think they're a keeper. I won't be able to test on snow for a couple weeks.

The nitty gritty...

I measure around 275 mm length on a Brannock, although I have pretty large Haglund's deformities/heel spurs on both feet, so functionally my feet are a bit longer than that. Pretty wide forefoot, I think about 105 mm wide lightly weighted. Probably a bit wider fully weighted. I have a very high instep which is often a limiting factor for me with boots. Pretty narrow heels, bony ankles, big calves. My alpine boots are Lange RX 130s medium volume with Zipfits. They have a small punch for the 6th toe on both boots. They fit awesome with the Zipfits, love these boots. But 80-90% of my skiing is touring. I wear running shoes in 11-11.5 depending on the brand, although I know that doesn't mean much.

I’m a competent skier, but by no means rad. Probably mediocre by TGR standards. I didn’t grow up racing or anything like that. I want a boot that performs well but I’m not striving for a plug boot fit.

For about a decade I've been running a 2 boot touring quiver. I have custom insoles. I was using the Scarpa Maestrale RS for 10+ years in all of the versions besides the newest version as my beefier boot that was mostly used in winter. The Scarpas were 27.5/28. Starting in 2016 I had small 6th toe punches done on these boots. I would sometimes get pressure here on longer tours. These always worked well for me with the small punch and liner mold. I also had some Dynafit TLT6Ps (the black and orange version) in a size 28/28.5 with Intuition Pro Tour LV liners that were mostly used in the spring on longer objectives. The Dynafits were heavily punched for width in the forefoot both medial and lateral. Both boots were getting pretty clapped out, especially the Dynafits, and I was looking to update my touring boot quiver this year.

I picked up some Atomic Backland XTD 120s early this year in a 27.5. I dig them so far, I might post more in the dedicated thread. Besides a liner mold haven't had to do any major boot work. But only about 12 days so far. I thought these might work as a replacement for the Maestrale RSs, but honestly they were more comparable to my old Dynafits. They walk amazingly. I like how they ski, but they're not super stiff. So I was still thinking of getting something a little beefier.

I've gravitated towards better touring performance over the years, I wanted something that hopefully walked better than the Maestrales but skied similarly. I ordered some 28 Ridge Pros, tried them on yesterday around the house.

The shell fit for the 28s was good for me. A bit more than 1 finger shell fit with my heel spurs. I do think this is the right shell size for me, I can't imagine making a 27 work. So I concur that they run a little short and if you're in between sizes, size up. I had some pressure right away over the instep with the stock liner and my foot beds. It was better when I threw in my clapped out 28 LV Intuitions. I think with a liner mold they should work. If the stock liner doesn't work I'd happily throw in some 28 LV Intuition Pro Tours and mold them with a pad over my instep.

The fit feels good for me elsewhere (these fit notes are with my old Intuition liners in place). I feel like there's enough toebox room for my pretty wide feet. Heel hold is good for me with the old Intuitions, better than the Backland XTDs. The ratchet buckle does a nice job holding my heel in place. I barely need to tighten the Boa to get good heel hold in ski mode. They flex really nicely in ski mode IMO. Stiffer than the Backland XTDs for sure. The Hoji lock gives a super solid feel and a nice flex. I think they should ski well. The stiffness is comparable to my Maestrale RSs, a think a hair stiffer than the Maestrale RS in fact.

I was happy with the walk mode. ROM is more than acceptable IMO. I thought they had plenty of forward and rear ROM just walking around the house. They walk a bit better than the Maestrale RS. Probably a bit more ROM forward, and the walk mode seems a little smoother. The walk mode is definitely better on the Backland XTDs, a little more total ROM on the Backland XTDs and definitely less friction on the Backland XTDs. But I still thought the Ridge ROM was above average and shouldn't be limiting for most situations. I could see loosening the velcro strap for days when you just have one long climb and descent. I was testing them with the velcro strap in position for skiing and then just undoing the Hoji lock. I like that transitions will be pretty quick. Flip the ratchet buckle and then the Hoji lock and I'm ready to ski.

I'm leaving on a non-ski vacation tomorrow, so I won't be able to get these on snow for a couple weeks. But I think they're a keeper for me.

The Ridge Pro/Backland XTD quiver seems a bit redundant, but I'm a fan of this class of boot now. Great walk modes (at least compared to similar boots of old) and more than acceptable skiing performance IMO. Not much faffing at transitions like a 4 buckle overlap boot. The Ridge Pros will probably be my daily touring driver in winter and the Backland XTDs will get used more in spring and on longer objectives.
    Last edited by whatsupdoc; 02-23-2024 at 05:08 PM.

Great analysis, thanks.