Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Looking for a 88-95mm all mountain non-charger

I currently have a Ripstick 88 mounted with AT bindings that I use for skiing with the kids. Overall, I think it's fun and easy to ski.

I'm looking for something a bit stiffer that I can throw alpine bindings on.

- not super demanding. I ski hardish, but weigh 150. I generally don't like really stiff skis.
    - can have fun carving
    - moderately fun in the bumps
    - holds an edge well on chalk
    - floats decently for a ski of this width
    - still fun at slower speeds
    - 179-185

Armada Declivity 92 ti - promising, but can't find a ton of reviews
    K2 Mindbender 89, 90, 96, 99?
    Brahma 88?
    Enforcer 94 - sounds like a bit much
    Ripstick 96 - too soft for the crud?

Any other favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I currently have a Ripstick 88 mounted with AT bindings that I use for skiing with the kids. Overall, I think it's fun and easy to ski.

- not super demanding. I ski hardish, but weigh 150. I generally don't like really stiff skis.
    - can have fun carving
    - 179-185

Brahma 88?

Any other favorites?
    Not 88-95 but the Armada Stranger ticks a lot of your boxes. But it's pretty progressively mounted in comparison to what skis you listed.

Line Blade is a favorite here for what you're describing too.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Not 88-95 but the Armada Stranger ticks a lot of your boxes. But it's pretty progressively mounted in comparison to what skis you listed.

The rec mount on the Armada Stranger is -10cm. Which surprised me.

I mounted at -7.5cm and they ski very well there. They’re dead easy to ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have these in GS. Might not be exactly what you are looking for but they do check a lot of your boxes...

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...tle-FX85-181cm

If you want something cheap I have a pair of 184cm K2 Pinnacle 95s with 1 mount that have barely been used. Bases nearly perfect, no bindings, storage wax on them. The ones with the green fronts and black backs.

Second on the Blade (non Optic). Makes a boring hill look fun. Super fat tips might get hung in large bumps, but anywhere groomed it shines.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I too am in the market for a skinny ski - but I've got 70lbs on you. Following!

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    The rec mount on the Armada Stranger is -10cm. Which surprised me.

I mounted at -7.5cm and they ski very well there. They’re dead easy to ski.

Oh damn, I just assumed the the rec line was further forward! When I skied em the rep had me around -7 on demo bindings and I loved them there. Still kinda searching for a pair for my recovery groomer ski, if anyone has a 180cm they want to sell let me know!

I’m having fun with my blades in the non-charger slot. I’m a lot bigger than you and on the 181s and they are perfect for making the shorter flatter slopes I’m skiing with my 7yo fun. I would size down at your height for more fun factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    Second on the Blade (non Optic). Makes a boring hill look fun. Super fat tips might get hung in large bumps, but anywhere groomed it shines.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    My 7 yo loves massive moguls that I can barely turn in. I'm not sure these will be that much fun in those situations.

I'm also using these as my daily narrow ski when not skiing with the kids. The Blade seems a bit different than what I'm looking for.

I know it's a dentist ski but the Volkl Kendo is exactly the ski you describe.

Turns as easy as a Ripstick but way more substantial. I suck at moguls but they make me look almost competent. I have them in 177 (6'0", 180) and I'm not unhappy with that length but I ski them in east coast trees so shorter is better.

Oh damn, I just assumed the the rec line was further forward! When I skied em the rep had me around -7 on demo bindings and I loved them there. Still kinda searching for a pair for my recovery groomer ski, if anyone has a 180cm they want to sell let me know!
    My quiver is getting big. May sell my 180 Strangers. Shoot me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I know it's a dentist ski but the Volkl Kendo is exactly the ski you describe.

Turns as easy as a Ripstick but way more substantial. I suck at moguls but they make me look almost competent. I have them in 177 (6'0", 180) and I'm not unhappy with that length but I ski them in east coast trees so shorter is better.
    All the reviews I've read make it sound hard-charging - like a narrow Mantra.

My quiver is getting big. May sell my 180 Strangers. Shoot me a pm.

All the reviews I've read make it sound hard-charging - like a narrow Mantra.
    It is, the 184’s my Aspen Mt. hard snow ski.
    Mounted for 296 if you want to try them.

i like the Line TW Pro for this level of skiing. a bit short at 178 but poppy and stiff enough to carve. I’m 6’2” 180# but got them based on cydwhit’s blister review and have no regrets. Bonus that you can get older versions for cheap.

Line Tigersnakes got me through non charging kid skiing phase and actually excelled in bumps.
    local shop sold em cheap as no nuskoolers want a twin tip in 178
    88 underfoot.

It’s out of print, but my Fischer Ranger 94 FR fits the bill. It’s super fun and lively, handles a lot of conditions well, carves decently for its shape, and is not super demanding, although it’s got some backbone.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecO View Post
    It’s out of print, but my Fischer Ranger 94 FR fits the bill. It’s super fun and lively, handles a lot of conditions well, carves decently for its shape, and is not super demanding, although it’s got some backbone.
    I had that on my list as well. Thanks for the info.

- can have fun carving
    - 179-185

Brahma 88?

Any other favorites?
    Brahma 88 and Enforcer 94 are both fantastic skis but I don't think I would call them non-chargey

Quite a bit wider, but I have the J Hotshot in this place. I guess you can charge on it, but it's the easiest, most intuitive ski that I've been on in a long time. Before the Hotshot, my play ski was the Line Sir Francis Bacon. Crazy fun to cruise around on, but absolutely hates refreeze and chop. Also wider than criteria.

I also have the 4frnt Switch. Super fun ski. Definitely not a charger, but it'll run in the right snow. Not my favorite off piste. Light, fairly soft and fits right in on soft groomers and park laps.

I've never heard anything bad about the current K2 Mindbender 99ti. I think I'm going to grab that ski. It sounds crazy versatile.

What about the Black Crows Mirus Cor?

I also think the 184 kendo 88 would check all of your boxes.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

- can have fun carving
    - 179-185

Brahma 88?

Any other favorites?
    A bit more on the playful side of the spectrum, but I would add the Rustler 9 to the list. And the the Kendo 88 is probably less ski than the Brahma, so I'd add that as well, but that's more towards the "chargy" side of the spectrum. But like the Mantra 102 it's really easy to switch back and forth between carve and slarve

Blaze 94. Checks all the OP's boxes. They can be found cheap.

Salomon Stance 96 are fabulous skis, and can be found pretty cheap. Only one more millimeter wider.