Smith Mission Helmet Question

So shopping and looking at new Ski and Snowboard helmets for the season. I am seeing the Smith Mission series in MIPS model and a second that is labeled as Koroyd core - so they are 2 different construction models? Or both MIPS and some difference like the year the models were released?
    Last edited by RShea; 01-05-2024 at 11:36 PM.

Koroyd is a newer lighter MIPS material and is not a foam It does change fit a little and warmth IMO since it vents better than foam Fit is subjective and may be more a case of helmet model

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Koroyd and MIPS are independent of each other. MIPS is the slip layer that (in theory) absorbs some energy by rotating on impact. Koroyd is a version of the "normal" helmet thing--straight on energy absorption. It's like a plastic honeycomb. I dunno what's going on with the different models of Mission. Sometimes Smith appends MIPS to the MIPS models, sometimes not. Either they have a couple models at different price points, or its a generation thing like you said. Effectiveness of helmet stuff is hard to prove, just buy what fits and has the tech/price that you're comfortable with.

Mine has MIPS and Koroyd. Great helmet but it fits quite a bit different than the Code for example.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Koroyd is a newer lighter MIPS material and is not a foam It does change fit a little and warmth IMO since it vents better than foam Fit is subjective and may be more a case of helmet model

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The Koroyd fit is different than the Standard Foam Mission that I had stuck my head into before when trying them on. The MIPS Mission that is all foam and traditional construction I fit in a Medium (55 to 59 cm) Most all the helmets I've owned I based on 58 cm for both Bike and Skiing over the years. (Since even companies like Smith and Giro have some medium helmets that are 54-58 cm and then some of their other models the 57-59 cm is a size large)...
    A skiing acquaintance that I know had one of the Smith Mission Koroyd listed - new with tags on FB Marketplace in a size Large. I met up with him and tried it on and end up buying it off him. It was a Large and 59-63 cm I believe (it's in the car right now)

Here are the Smith sizes to confuse you based on the shape, series (race or not, etc.):
    M 55-59cm
    Round Contour Fit M 59-63cm
    L 59-63cm

The structure is sort of like a honeycomb plastic and not the full foam... (Maybe I'll shoot a few photos and upload them later.)