Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

MAMMOTH 23/24 - WE ARE READY FOR THE SNOW NOW

Well, maybe by posting this it'll actually snow this weekend.

https://www.mammothsnowman.com/

https://mammothweather.com/

https://www.esavalanche.org/

Mammoth Mountain weather:

https://mammothmountain.westernweathergroup.com/

Emergency Hotline: 760.934.0611
    CalTrans Road Report: 800.427.ROAD
    Lost & Found / Basket Check Canyon Lodge: 760.934.2571 ext 3367
    Lost & Found / Basket Check Main Lodge: 760.934.0667
    Main Lodge Security: 760.934.0697

June Mountain:

https://junelakepizza.com/index.php/loop-cam/

Emergency Hotline 760.934.0611
    Guest services / lost & found: 760.648.7733 ext 0
    Snow report hotline: 760.934.2224

Bootfitter recommendations:

Surefoot: Nick, Todd.
    Footloose: Kevin (the older one if there are still two Kevins), Cort.
    Kittredge: Preston.
    Mammoth Mountaineering: Carl & JZ

Food recommendations:

Bring your own
    (but also Dish Bistro, Latin Market, Rolling Chef, Skadi, Noodle-Ly, Toomey's, Mammoth Brewing)
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Woot

You're a scholar and a gentleman, Sir!

I drove down to Mammoth today and spun some laps with old friends. Good snow was located. I counted ten million people. They were not riding 23 or G2, thankfully

Hopefully a new thread is what we need to get the season going!

For recommendations, I'll add doorstep deliveries. We've always had great luck using them. If you call them directly the delivery rate is lower.

www.doorstep-deliveries.com

Looks like some snow coming in later this week. I'm guessing it's not enough to bring the touring skis, but is there any worth while nordic near Mammoth? No grooming required.

Town trails and also Nordic up by the lakes. June lake loop Rd. All snow dependent. Some old guy was living in a tent near the loop Rd out by 395, ski in and check in him..

^Yes plenty of snow for nordic by tamarack up lake mary road, park at the gate. Made a snowman there last week, you can check out the gate cam off the cams on the MM website.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    ^Yes plenty of snow for nordic by tamarack up lake mary road, park at the gate. Made a snowman there last week, you can check out the gate cam off the cams on the MM website.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Am I accurate about the touring conditions right now, or are there areas with a base?
    Last edited by Sklimber; 01-02-2024 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Spelling

Just curious, how were the crowds over the past holiday week?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Sklimber View Post
    Thanks. Am I accurate about the touring conditions right now, or are there areas with a base?
    Feels accurate. Definitely thin coverage. Where they've been blowing snow, there's good coverage.

I left town on the 23rd. Crowds weren't as bad as typical weekends imo. An employee I was talking to said last year they were making over a "million dollars a day" in late Dec, and maybe they made a couple million in all of December. But I don't know if that's a real stat. No big storms means fewer cheeseburgers sold right.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Just curious, how were the crowds over the past holiday week?
    We just spent two days up - 12/31 and 1/1. I pulled up at 10:00 am on Sunday to park within site of Mill. Pretty slim crowds. There was one point that day there was probably a 15 minute wait at Stump. Besides that, you could find 5 minutes or less lift lines as long as you stayed away from beginner areas. Yesterday was front row park the Mill before 8 am. When we left, parking stretched a bit farther away than the day before. The opened chair 5 yesterday. Overall, pleasantly surprised at how well it skied and how few the crowds were.

Side note - my daughter always enjoys ice skating. The architecture sucks but the LA Kings name is on a new big ice rink in town. They should have taken notes from the town of Bend. She had a great time doing open skate for 90 minutes. A good option to shake it up with the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed storm tonight let's June get a few more runs open. Kids have been having fun regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sklimber View Post
    depends on your definition of base
    where there is any, it is rock solid, which is also the case where there is none.
    I won't leave home without them.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I need to get down there. I need my fix. I think with this thread made and even just a little more snow, it'll be time.

Washed the car, mowed the yard, etc, etc. Hoping for some snow for my week up there starting Thursday.

Anyone's crystal ball have a prediction for this sat/sun? Contemplating driving up for Sunday, but snow totals for Sat. and wind forecasts are all over the place.

June seems way to conservative opening runs. Kids don't seem to mind. Beautiful day today.

I think it worked. Sunday was a good fluffy pow day. Bluebird day, also really cold, like 5 degrees, which made for great snow. About 12" mid mountain but was still pretty low tide in most places, definitely happy to have brought the rock skis out. Bit of slow start but they popped the top around 11. There was free breakfast for early ups though. Top was refilling all day and later found lots of good laps under 9. Saw some people hike 22 and that looked really good too.

Edit: upcoming storm this week too!

Quote Originally Posted by KillerMonkey View Post
    I think it worked. Sunday was a good fluffy pow day. Bluebird day, also really cold, like 5 degrees, which made for great snow. About 12" mid mountain but was still pretty low tide in most places, definitely happy to have brought the rock skis out. Bit of slow start but they popped the top around 11. There was free breakfast for early ups though. Top was refilling all day and later found lots of good laps under 9. Saw some people hike 22 and that looked really good too.

Edit: upcoming storm this week too!
    They had a rather shocking morning Op's wise. On mechanical hold Sunday morning: Ch16 (new chair), Ch6 (down all morning), ch1 until 915 (typical), and ch3 (chairs wouldn't move in lower terminal, opened way after the top). They also "forgot" to groom ADG for a USSA Far West race that all the Tahoe kids were down for. Really poor to not be able to pull off a race when it dawns clear, no wind, and slightly less snow than forecast. Supposedly when Race Dept. saw it hadn't been groomed they asked but were turned down. Op's can't claim it's because they don't groom other areas as there was a cat cruising around bottom of ch3, saddle bowl, and other areas while people were skiing, plus a couple of cats pushing snow around in the park for the Grand Prix coming up. Bummed for the kids, poor form Mammoth Op's.

That said, once they got the top open (ski patrol and Avi control were typical Mammoth program, no complaints there), Upper Dry was pretty damn good. Super light pow. For some reason the line at Mid was shockingly manageable. Enjoyed that, but considering it was "early ups" and they told everyone via Insta to go to Main lodge and then couldn't get anything besides Lower G open until 915 (keep in mind people go there at 7:30 and 8:30 is standard opening) was pretty poor.

The hill is still low tide, but skiing much better after the last 2 storms.
    He who has the most fun wins!

S'up party people, that time of the year again.... Heading up tonight form LA for first laps of the year...

Today looks to be "the day" and I'm worried about the wind situation but whatever, first days I'm too old to be picky at this point in my season....

Good to see that somewhere has decent snow.

Climax slid today. Luckily not a repeat of Squaw's fate yesterday at Kt-22.

stoked on new thread...headed to Utah
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Climax slid today. Luckily not a repeat of Squaw's fate yesterday at Kt-22.
    how wide and how far?