Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Great to see all the visitors making the most of this extremely low tide year.
    Was shocked at the lack of snow up at Rogers Pass. Still wouldn’t feel too comfortable out on the glaciers. Some pretty big gaps, still, behind Catamount pass (first pictures on the left). Pics from Saturday Feb.17.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8745.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	487713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6438.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	236.7 KB 
ID:	487714

Thanks for the memories, we had a great time.

Our tracks and some others behind the Asulkan Cabin

Name:	IMG_2685.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	575.1 KB 
ID:	487764

Dome Glacier

Name:	IMG_9972.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	339.8 KB 
ID:	487765

Name:	IMG_9982.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	713.8 KB 
ID:	487766

Sapphire Col

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	416.2 KB 
ID:	487773
    Last edited by cat in january; 02-22-2024 at 07:20 PM.

Anybody have an update on how Whitewater and Red are doing with this warm up that’s moving through? Would love to get a few days up there this week, but might pass if it’s been rain/snow mix

Heard that Red got hit with the same F-ing freezing rain that Silver Star did early this morning. I drove up to SS as it snowed 28cm but there was a 3mm thick ice crust on the new snow. Grabbed a coffee and went to the gym instead.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Heard that Red got hit with the same F-ing freezing rain that Silver Star did early this morning. I drove up to SS as it snowed 28cm but there was a 3mm thick ice crust on the new snow. Grabbed a coffee and went to the gym instead.
    Oh man that's brutal. Heading out there soon, skiing March 10-15. Would be nice to hook up if you're around.

2023/24 BC Southern Interior

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Glassy, leg-wrenching, breakable crust on top of 10cm of new snow at Red. Weirdly almost non existent on the face of Red (though icy underneath) and less prevalent in the tight high north trees, but almost unskiable in moderate angled open areas. I was skiing knee deep blower yesterday (not at Red), hoping this isn’t too widespread across the Southern Interior.
    Last edited by kootenayskier; 02-28-2024 at 07:33 PM.

At ww the crust wasn.t too bad. Easily breakable. More in the open areas. Skiers seemed to notice it more, on a board i didn t find it an issue. Heard it was bad on glory but i didn.t check it out.

Snowing up there now. Freezing level is 1200. I.m expecting a deep day tomorrow and we.ll crack a 200c base. Finally. Now it starts getting good, temps willing.

Looks like we might finally getting to a 2m base at treeline as well in the N.Thompson. Normally should be 3m by now. And spooky as fuck on some crusts about 1m down, hoping it settles out for the weekend, but if I get out will stick to conservative terrain. With the lack of decent coverage at the XC trails, I got an itch to scratch though.

all time blower day at Revelstoke. Pretty sure every business in town was understaffed. Still snowing in town with no sign of letting up. Trans canada is closed too.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

I gave some thought to heading to Whitewater on Monday, based on snow forecasts for the week but reconsidered once I realized that the settled base was still below 200cm when it in most seasons it should be well above that by this time of year. They should hit over 200cm by this time next week so maybe I will head to WW then.

Sun Peaks started the day on Wednesday with a freezing ice mist that required stopping every 50ft or so to scrap ice off the goggles. I gave some thought about heading home after only one run but decided to do one more run and then it turned from ice mist to snowing lightly so I stayed.

It has turned very mild again proving this is not the year to storm chase due to not enough base depth at most resorts and too much temp fluctuation. Best to stay put at Sun Peaks where I know rock skis are not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Thanks for the memories, we had a great time.

Our tracks and some others behind the Asulkan Cabin

Name:	IMG_2685.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	575.1 KB 
ID:	487764
    Love this one! Wind ripples in the snow like that = good times!!

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

It has turned very mild again proving this is not the year to storm chase due to not enough base depth at most resorts and too much temp fluctuation. Best to stay put at Sun Peaks where I know rock skis are not needed.
    True but when your current skis become rock skis, you get to buy new skis.

Haven't made it up today, but it sounds like last night's snow healed the crust issue mostly. Still slushy and damp at the bottom of the hill (Red) though.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Oh man that's brutal. Heading out there soon, skiing March 10-15. Would be nice to hook up if you're around.
    Today would have been excellent at SS. Snowed another 10cm and cold and clear. I should be around and would be happy to rip one day.

Today would have been excellent at SS. Snowed another 10cm and cold and clear. I should be around and would be happy to rip one day. 2m base now which I did not think would happen this year, should be fine for you.

True but when your current skis become rock skis, you get to buy new skis.
    True, except if I continue to make Sun Peaks my home mountain, especially early and late season, I will wear a ski out (becomes too soft and no longer holds an edge) long before the ski ever hits a rock. I can't remember the last time I used any P-tex.

Best day of the year! Stormy, soft, and baseless.
    Passed 200. It.s on!

Fucking really good out there!

Trash traverse 2/28. Your part of the world rules, hope to be back soon

Name:	kKDWBYm.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	440.2 KB 
ID:	488790

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Haven't made it up today, but it sounds like last night's snow healed the crust issue mostly. Still slushy and damp at the bottom of the hill (Red) though.
    Made up not long after that. One for the books. Hit a bunch of first tracks on fave lines FTW.

Revy didn't get any crust. I didn't make it up Wednesday, but had a fantastic day on Thursday skiing nice, lightly settled pow. I got near-first tracks into a few zones and had great turns all day. It wasn't blower, but it was very soft and fun to ski and I had the rare experience of being the first one into Three Bears and down North Bowl. Normally I would have traversed back to the Stoke Chair, but it was so nice, I couldn't resist skiing the entire bowl and go down to the Ripper.

Sounds like Wednesday was really epic, but you can't win them all.

Best again! Rode bell to bell.

Very busy. So many tourists. Road closed for a couple hours, delay on one chair and one didn.t open at all. Today will be nuts.

2023/24 BC Southern Interior

Fkna!!! Stoked you’re getting it up there finally!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:	IMG_0543.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	489008 Finally overachieving on snowfall (and crowds) today at Red. That’s the snowfall statue and gauge.

Had a decent cat ski day yesterday. Great to finally have a bit more snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240301_145506.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	489021  
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.