Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

2023/24 BC Southern Interior

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Oh shit... Same group of you that were at Jackson? Everyone ok even the one town out?
    2 of us were at jackson. Everybody ok! Unreal turnout, very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Rollercoaster ride at Meadow lodge this week for our group. Amazing skiing, big avy incident 2 days ago and miraculously no injuries

https://avalanche.ca/map?panel=mount...1-0a58a9feac02
    Glad everyone is OK!

Coming out of lurker land to say that my group had a very similar incident in the same slide path 6 years ago, but with no carries. Very scary! We were near the top of the tree triangle and we remote-triggered the entire path, and it took out some trees at the bottom. Seems like this slide path could be a bit of a repeat offender, for anyone heading to Meadow and seeing this post.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03317.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	490339

^^^ Good to know, relayed that to gah!

machine and fortrees. It's perhaps repetitive but that path is an Infoex known producer. FWIW Meadow is tough terrain to manage in questionable stability situations with pwls. So much good terrain but with exposure to approach...... not telling you all anything you don't know

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    machine and fortrees. It's perhaps repetitive but that path is an Infoex known producer. FWIW Meadow is tough terrain to manage in questionable stability situations with pwls. So much good terrain but with exposure to approach...... not telling you all anything you don't know
    This knowledge continues to frustrate me. I wish they would make infoex visible to all. Not to everyone to post on but man than info could be so helpful. Actually reading about all the near misses, incidents, and results produced by cat, Heli and touring ops. Produces a much clearer picture of danger or notnin my opinion.

It would be better than "multiple slides continue to be produced by ops in the area".

Nothing against you Lee, just the powers to be.

It would be better than "multiple slides continue to be produced by ops in the area".

We were discussing this on the way up to Wh20 for a tour on Sunday. The ops could, potentially, fill in a MIN on the CAA site, of the basics that recreationalists would need to know to help make good decisions. That way the infoex stays Ops specific for the deeper details the pros are looking for, but the info get's out in the wider world.

This knowledge continues to frustrate me. I wish they would make infoex visible to all. Not to everyone to post on but man than info could be so helpful. Actually reading about all the near misses, incidents, and results produced by cat, Heli and touring ops. Produces a much clearer picture of danger or notnin my opinion.

I feel the same. When I see something worth putting on Infoex I often put it on MIN. Unfortunately not everyone feels the same way or has the time

No solid opinion on this, but from what I understand part of the motivation in not sharing the Infoex publicly is a concern that it would make commercial operators more reluctant to share. Thought is that overall it is better that the info be there and available to the forecasters to distill and share than not to have access to it.

I do think that a lot of the time the distilled info is better than details for the broad/general user group. For sure there are those who benefit from more details of recent events making it to the PAB, but generally, I think that the Munter idea that you can't really predict what an individual slope is going to do, but that you can manage your statistical risk is pretty spot on. Sometimes more isn't more. A lot of the people who would benefit from the extra info already have ways of getting it.

Back on thread topic - what a swing in the last couple of weeks, I've just come back from another day of fresh tracks persisting after lunch, even with sunshine this time. Springy skiing for those who like it, and pow for the rest of us. Last cycle stuck to the steeps really well and the skiing has been really fulfilling. Just what the Red Mtn community needed after last week's loss...

thanks for the recommendations, the chicken wings sound good!

if you happen to be in Nelson this weekend and notice a petite redhead
    trying to push a big drunk hoser into the back of a Toyota,
    give'r a hand ....

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    thanks for the recommendations, the chicken wings sound good!

if you happen to be in Nelson this weekend and notice a petite redhead
    trying to push a big drunk hoser into the back of a Toyota,
    give'r a hand ....

Will do. No one mentioned Cantina yet.. if you're after a party, those margs are killer...
    If you're up the hill on Sunday, keep an eye out for a Yeti in purple and yellow arcteryx and silly big orange skis.. Come join me the sideways sliders for a lap!

Had a great morning last Wednesday @ Silver Star skiing with el hefe. I forgot to take a photograph for the internet people. Oh well - next time! Good tour of the mtn, useful intel, and a bit of a history lesson which is always appreciated. He's also the fastest mf'n skier I've skied with - points 'em down and gone. I shall nominate him as tribute for Canada's entry in the global chinese downhill whenever that happens.

$10 for burger and a beer at Black Pine is a steal, all things considered. We took the advice and lapped the attridge face all afternoon - nice slushy but still supportive snow and even some fresh stuff lingering in the shadows. Now it's for sure all melted and soggy, but who knows maybe a late March dump rolls in over the next week or two. Slow AF chair makes for good sunshine enjoyment and conversation.

Kids loved the whole place.

^ nice meeting you and the missus. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Yeah, it was warm this weekend, almost unskiable yesterday afternoon. I was starting for the kids speed trap and we had to shut it down early, kids were having a hard time stopping safely in the glop. Was 20c when I got downtown yesterday.

Attridge is the best beer drinking spot in the sun!

Name:	20240316_140148.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	490957
    Racer Rats

Name:	20240317_140241.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	490958

Name:	20240317_094449.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	490959
    Lake was nice

Name:	20240317_181516.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	490960
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Man, and here I am in this concrete wasteland....

Some day!

it was a great time, we didn't want to go home
    we will have to hit whitewater next trip ..........

Name:	DSCN5292.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	491219

Name:	DSCN5273.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	491220

Name:	DSCN5294.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	901.7 KB 
ID:	491221
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Copious mank in the IPW. Still a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ENDOOO; 03-24-2024 at 11:41 AM. Reason: wrong thread.eh

Anyone take a walk above 2k meters in the Kimberly area recently? Heading to Boulder hut and agonizing over bringing the spring skis vs the slightly more stout setup..

Quote Originally Posted by Huskier View Post
    Anyone take a walk above 2k meters in the Kimberly area recently? Heading to Boulder hut and agonizing over bringing the spring skis vs the slightly more stout setup..

I haven’t been down to Kimberley recently , but it’s spring further North in the Valley (Invermere, Golden). The last two weeks have been warm. But, there was a big storm last night, so conditions may have changed. Consider asking your question in the Canadian Rockies thread. I believe there are a few Kimberley folks in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskier View Post
    Just spent a week in the alpine east of Kimbo. It’s a mix depending on elevation and what you are planning on skiing. Winter is still above 2000m however you will encounter Ice crust/ breakable crust/ crust with pow on top and there is also lots of boot deep stable pow on the N faces. Take the ski that can handle it all. At time of writing no spring conditions were encountered. Conditions are in comprehensible shape to tick off bigger lines or smaller rowdy ones.

Mergers and acquisitions shrinkflation happening in the interior BC lodge scene with a new owner for Battle Abbey. In 2025 you can expect to pay 25% more for a 40% shorter trip as they go from 7 night trips to 4 nights. I think they are targeting less experienced skiers looking for a more luxurious experience.

https://weberpowder.com/trips

Yeah, Been lucky enough to be hosted by Roger and Loree for 3 amazing summer trips there and it will always hold a special spot in my heart. Doubt I will ever get to ski there, especially at that price.

That must be cool to be there in the summer! It's a beautiful place. I count myself lucky to have skied there a few times in the winter, and am glad that I did when I had the chance.

Yeah, same here guys. Some amazing winter memories. Summer would have been cool though. Heard all about the via ferrata but never got to try it out. Pretty cool legacy and journey for Roger though, from being one of the builders as a kid to selling it today.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Mergers and acquisitions shrinkflation happening in the interior BC lodge scene with a new owner for Battle Abbey. In 2025 you can expect to pay 25% more for a 40% shorter trip as they go from 7 night trips to 4 nights. I think they are targeting less experienced skiers looking for a more luxurious experience.

https://weberpowder.com/trips
    I was surprised by that pricing! Good for Roger though

Four guides on each trip! That certainly adds up.

SME is $4,000 for a week next year. I guess Battle Abbey is testing what the market will bear. I'm glad I was able to get out to a couple of lodges last year, because my salary definitely hasn't gone up that much. I'm planning a month biking around Vietnam this fall for less than five days at Battle Abbey.