Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Precisely. My ‘21 was crazy better than the ‘18, which was crazy better than the 14’, etc. But I highly doubt the ‘24 is going to be/feel a whole lot different, just a wee bit more refined.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

A lot of the new refinement isn’t from the frame either. For example a float x likely makes most bikes ride better than the older dpx2 or whatever it was called. If you bought a 2023 model of the exact same bike you bought in 2019, there might be some modest improvements.

My conspiracy theory tin hat wonders how many companies have put less into R&D for normal bikes and shifted some of those dollars to E-Bikes. Same goes for companies making components. This seems like it would slow the general pace of innovation for normal bikes (which I do think we’re seeing).

Why don’t we have a new XTR current version is about to be 6 years old? I’m guessing Shimano has had other projects.

That being said - most new bikes are so solid I can’t point to many things and say “yep that’s an issue”. Also there are likely some ebike innovations that will eventually help normal bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Precisely. My ‘21 was crazy better than the ‘18, which was crazy better than the 14’, etc. But I highly doubt the ‘24 is going to be/feel a whole lot different, just a wee bit more refined.

Yeah, regular bikes are dialed right now. Changes are going to be miniscule, unless a brand got stuck at the back of the line updating during/right after Covid.

It does seem like a lot of companies' effort is improving their ebikes, mostly because there's starting to be more motor options. I've heard Pivot is moving to a modular motor mount that will allow them to change motor specs on the same frames without completely redesigning the bikes - that's kind of an idea of how geometry and kinematics have gotten sorted by the whole motor part is rapidly changing. Even though my current one is very good, I'd still like to upgrade if/when Santa Cruz starts specing Bosch motors, for just better finish/reliability both from the frame and the motor. The geometry probably won't be much different than what I currently have, weight will be about the same, kinematic will get a bit better, but there should be less issues with frame bearings and stiffness plus fewer motor warranty claims. Bike companies must be rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of people like me shelling out $$$ for essentially the same bike just to get a new motor system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    For example - if Ibis does a little update to the Ripmo that makes it look fresh and new… but Pivot and Santa Cruz hold off on updating the Hightower and Switchblade. Ibis would likely sell more bikes at closer to MSRP.
    I believe any delays in updated bikes would be specifically to protect those brand's retail partners who are still saddled with '22 and '23 inventory. I wonder if component manufacturers will start to delay new product to protect their ​biggest customers (bicycle brands?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Kona for example - liquidates inventory because it hasn’t kept with the current trends and therefore didn’t sell well. This damages your brand image and in turn might make it harder to sell your new stuff (if
    well the rumour with Kona is that their manufacturer is holding '24 models until they get payment, and that's why the liquidation is taking place....not that Kona's new owners haven't totally gutted the brand over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    well the rumour with Kona is that their manufacturer is holding '24 models until they get payment, and that's why the liquidation is taking place....not that Kona's new owners haven't totally gutted the brand over the past few years.
    I have heard this as well; I'm kinda shocked that Kent Outdoors wouldn't have the cash or access to cash to pay. If that rumor is true, they must have had some serious back payments due.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Interesting. Thats a bad financial predicament as I wonder what this type of sale does to the value of the new bikes? As previously referenced - NPR is talking about this so it’s not a small story. Brand image matters.

To the earlier point of brands not wanting to have shops stuck with old inventory… I can kinda buy it. If that’s the case, maybe good to defend brick and mortar… but I struggle to think big bike companies will be that altruistic.

When Ibis launches the new Ripmo this year (which seems likely), I doubt they’ll hold it to make sure shops don’t have a lot of old inventory. I think it’s more likely they say “we have a bike we think will be popular and help our numbers, let’s launch it as soon as we’re able to”. Shops would then be stuck with either not pulling in the new model (and potentially missing sales) or brining it in and having more old stock inventory.

As a bike shop - I’d be excited to have a popular product that will sell well… even if I think have existing inventory that’s depreciated.

Pivots “brunch ride” build kits were interesting. Rather than saying “hey we’re taking 30% off our bikes” they launched a new slightly different build and said “hey here is a kinda cool new build kit that’s a good deal”. It’s still a fire sale on their oldest frames but it feels different.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post

Maybe a dumb question, but has the same dynamic been playing out in non-mtb cycling segments? It’s been a long time since I’ve shopped for a gravel or commuter type bike, whereas I’m always idly looking at mountain bikes.

My anecdotal impression is that the covid bike boom exploded mountain bike use the most of any segment, but idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Abies View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but has the same dynamic been playing out in non-mtb cycling segments? It’s been a long time since I’ve shopped for a gravel or commuter type bike, whereas I’m always idly looking at mountain bikes.

My anecdotal impression is that the covid bike boom exploded mountain bike use the most of any segment, but idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    some deals, not AS silly discounts, but some for sure.

I bought this. amazing for the price.
    https://www.seraphbikes.com/2023-new...-p4637064.html
    just added tubeless core, and taped rim and swapped tires and even set up tubeless. Also a 11-36 cassette and its been great

Out here in Utah they're giving away road bikes unless its a 2024 S-werks phantom skunk works dentist model.

I got a used Tarmac special edition with carbon rovals and 2 power meters on it for $1000 this summer. Looks like it was only ever ridden on a trainer (it still had the factory front tire with hairs on it and the rear tire had a nice off camber wear spot in it..)
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    some deals, not AS silly discounts, but some for sure.

I bought this. amazing for the price.
    https://www.seraphbikes.com/2023-new...-p4637064.html
    just added tubeless core, and taped rim and swapped tires and even set up tubeless. Also a 11-36 cassette and its been great
    Do they come in men's sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Do they come in men's sizes?

size them based on the reach,

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Out here in Utah they're giving away road bikes unless its a 2024 S-werks phantom skunk works dentist model.

I got a used Tarmac special edition with carbon rovals and 2 power meters on it for $1000 this summer. Looks like it was only ever ridden on a trainer (it still had the factory front tire with hairs on it and the rear tire had a nice off camber wear spot in it..)
    KSL score? I’ve been riding a gravel bike on the road but at those prices might buy a roadie

That's a better deal than my $400 serotta.
    Logging back into ksl...
    sigless.