Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Oof
    Giant (Europe) profits down 49%.
    Holy crap

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/b...g-crisis-bites
    So it is possible for an industry journalist to call a bike company and get quotes about why business is going badly?

I agree that the imminent downfall of Kona is newsworthy. Also, if I personally was trying to do a story on the topic the first place I’d call would be Kona PR, expecting no response, that’s when the leg work starts.

I feel like where modern day journalism has gone off the rails is going the extra steps to get the story. It’s never been easier to look up people that work for a company, if you have their name you can usually get a phone number.. Talk to enough people and maybe you’ll get one to talk. That’s the part that I’d bet isn’t happening, and it should be.

It's because the legions of capable, intelligent journalists and aspiring writers are too busy working at Starbucks, as there is basically not enough money in journalism to make it worthwhile, IMO.

The others are doing their own 'content' hustle for clicks, swag, and Internet fame.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Im not ready to count kona out just yet. The bogo sale looks to be the lower end aluminium models that they no doubt have extra stock in. Still a lot of there bikes that arent bogo. Atleast i hope thats the case. A buddy and all around good guy still works there and i hope he can continue in his roll

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Im not ready to count kona out just yet. The bogo sale looks to be the lower end aluminium models that they no doubt have extra stock in. Still a lot of there bikes that arent bogo. Atleast i hope thats the case. A buddy and all around good guy still works there and i hope he can continue in his roll

The sale includes all process models. They only make a couple of carbon bikes anymore, and they are included.

They are not necessarily done but they are a shell of what they once were. They have fucked their dealer network since the changeover. That being said I hope the best for your buddy.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Kona will be a big5/dicks sporting goods brand.

As a counter factual for GT, they are not closing down but they are evolving and rebuilding the brand to focus on the core bmx and DH customer rather than just be cannondales red headed step child. I know folks on the team.

I havent seen any all encompassing earth shattering journalism on what might be termed the collapse of the bike industry but Shop bro told me things were fucked 8 months ago so it wasn't any secret things were fucked and i would see dribs and drabs of bad news but who could make money writing it and would anybody pay him for it
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-15-2023 at 01:57 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    The sale includes all process models. They only make a couple of carbon bikes anymore, and they are included.

They are not necessarily done but they are a shell of what they once were. They have fucked their dealer network since the changeover. That being said I hope the best for your buddy.
    I guess i haven't really looked at their site in a while. I figured they had some higher line process'. There is no hartail, cargo, kids, and just the one emtb on the sale but maybe they nixed those as well.
    Thanks ,those jobs are going to be hard to come by i'd imagine

I’m in once the Sutra pricing is BOGO

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I agree that the imminent downfall of Kona is newsworthy. Also, if I personally was trying to do a story on the topic the first place I’d call would be Kona PR, expecting no response, that’s when the leg work starts.

I feel like where modern day journalism has gone off the rails is going the extra steps to get the story. It’s never been easier to look up people that work for a company, if you have their name you can usually get a phone number.. Talk to enough people and maybe you’ll get one to talk. That’s the part that I’d bet isn’t happening, and it should be.
    This ^^^ The most we ever seem to get with news reports these days is "we reached out to xyz company by email" and you either get no response, a generic statement or you get referred to a press release the company put out.

I'm with you, can't be that hard to get hold of someone on the phone and get some comments, even if they are off the record. You'd think with all the product testing bike websites do they would have pretty solid contacts within most bike companies or with former employees. It isn't a big industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I’m in once the Sutra pricing is BOGO
    That's one of my Konas.... the other is a 2018 Explosiv steel hardtail, last year for that model -- I think they ditched it in favor of the Honzo.

What are the Raleighs that are owned by the other maggots? Mine is a 2017 (?) Grand Prix road bike -- steel frame with Ritchey breakaway fittings and Campy Veloce drivetrain. Couldn't pass it up when it went on clearance for like $900, including a travel bag to hold the whole bike when broken down.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's because the legions of capable, intelligent journalists and aspiring writers are too busy working at Starbucks, as there is basically not enough money in journalism to make it worthwhile, IMO.

The others are doing their own 'content' hustle for clicks, swag, and Internet fame.
    Exactly. Investigative journalism, substantive writing..... it's time - consuming and hard. Not to say that writers in bike mags can't do it. It's more that they almost certainly have other ) easier) pieces to write and they don't have the resources to dedicate to a well written, thoroughly researched piece

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

What are the Raleighs that are owned by the other maggots? Mine is a 2017 (?) Grand Prix road bike -- steel frame with Ritchey breakaway fittings and Campy Veloce drivetrain. Couldn't pass it up when it went on clearance for like $900, including a travel bag to hold the whole bike when broken down.
    I have a 2006(?) XXIX. When I moved to missoula, I pretty quickly realized that my mid and long travel squishy bikes were overkill for 95% of the trails there, so I bought a rigid single speed 29er (back when 29ers were still something of a rarity). Had a lot of fun farting around on that thing. Then I moved to whitefish and basically haven't ridden it since. It got converted into a skinny tired commuter, but it doesn't really ever get used. I should just sell it, but it's not really worth much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I'll say: EVIL.

This makes me a bit sad as it's likely the end (not that everyone didn't see it coming), bc me Hei Hei CR/DL is THE BEST BIKE EVER. It is a fantastic bike.
    What about Evil? They going under, too?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have a first gen tamland set up with 35mm slicks, fenders and a rack for commuting. It’s perfect for that comfy and cheap enough that I wouldn’t be to pissed if it disappeared.

That's one of my Konas.... the other is a 2018 Explosiv steel hardtail, last year for that model -- I think they ditched it in favor of the Honzo.

I have received quite a few blow out sales from Knolly the last few months. Hopefully, they're OK, not that I'll be buying another Knolly anytime soon (they lost me when they went superboost).

I have a 1986 Raleigh Teton. My commuter bike. Single speed w/ a rack & panniers. It's known as "Big Red".

What’s the best deal on an enduro ripper right now?

Got a Status last year at their cheapest, but didn’t like it as much as my Meta AM V4 or Transition Sentinel.

Quote Originally Posted by Velomayniac View Post

Got a Status last year at their cheapest, but didn’t like it as much as my Meta AM V4 or Transition Sentinel.
    TPC has a bunch of Forbidden Dreadnoughts in nice spec for like $3200- common sizes too and new with warranty, not used or second stock. If I hadn't bought my Spire last summer I'd be 100% in on one of these.

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ke-2022-medium

If high pivot witchcraft isn't for you, Transition still has a bunch of Spires and Patrols. The raw alloy Patrol with RockShox Ultimate suspension and GX/Codes for $3500 is also a great deal for a more traditional 4-bar.

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bike...l_Closeout.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by Velomayniac View Post

Depending on what size you are, buy one of those Dreadnought XT builds for $3000+... fuck that's a good deal. I can't imagine an enduro bike getting much better, especially if/when you add the Cascade Link.

Supergood deals on those Dreadnoughts! I’m 6’2”, but I much prefer Large to XL on most bikes. Seat tube looks way too long for me on them XLs. Darn this bike is sick!

The Transitions look great too. Aluminum is more up my alley and they have Large sizes in stock for both Spire and Patrol.

Commencal has Meta AM V4 in green for $2100, but terrible components. I really enjoyed how this bike rode.

I hopped on the Transition deal the other week. Ordered a Patrol through my local dealer who honored the sale price. Couldn't be happier to have snagged a ripping deal and link it to a local shop.

Kona bikes. BOGO sale (yes, 50% off process)

I’m not sure if this is old news, but Specialized is having a sale now, too:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/c/...ountain&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    I’m not sure if this is old news, but Specialized is having a sale now, too:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/c/...ountain&page=1
    They've had a non-stop sale since March... it's been awesome for the resale value of my demo fleet.

Kona bikes. BOGO sale (yes, 50% off process)

Just saw an IG ad for GT BOGO.

Edit: appears to be just BMX

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums