Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Touring Meals/Snacks

Forgive if the shitty search means I'm not reviving a relevant thread but as we're going into the season I'm curious what y'all like to bring on tours for your meals and snacks?

I've tried bringing soup/rice dishes in thermoses (kinda heavy but warm is clutch) and sandwiches (don't take up a lot of space but not very satisfying).

As far as snacks I like pepperoni sticks (space efficient, salty) and sour patch kids.

Burrito, trail mix, gummies (TJ's Scandinavian Swimmers are pretty decent even when cold), bars, and hot tea in a thermos. Meat sticks and Snickers are great too, but I usually forget to buy them.

And, these: https://bikepacking.com/plan/energy-balls-recipe/.
    That recipe is very flexible, just make sure you've got about those proportions of dates, nut butter and oats and then add/subtract whatever you want; we do coconut flakes and flax seeds but will add chocolate or cacao nibs next batch. Roll in blitzed oats + coconut or whatever flour you can eat raw so they don't stick to each other.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

I witnessed a guide, on a particularly long day, pull out a fork and leftover takeout Thai in the paper box… I realized I overthink this. So lunch is really anything that’s not a belly bomb.

Some sort of lightweight/minimal thermos would be awesome to have…

Snack wise; almond m&ms or snickers with almond are a favorite, otherwise just nutty granola bars.

Lachlan Morton budgets 1 candy bar per hour on his FKT attempts… which just sounds absurd but apparently it works.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Lachlan Morton budgets 1 candy bar per hour on his FKT attempts… which just sounds absurd but apparently it works.

I spent two summers as a climbing guide for an all boys summer camp in West NC, and now granted I was 22-24, but myself and another guide had no less than 2 snickers a day when we were really putting in the work. Was the least body far I've ever had. The day n day our slog really kept me burning calories like no other.

Plus! I'm under the impression a snickers has less sugar and more protein than a lot ot "health bars"...or thats what I tell myself

Standard ops for a guide in my experince.
    Some sort of home made Miso/ broth in a light weight thermos and then Euro guide style Hard cheese and salami style meat.
    Kendal Mint Cake for if anyone bonks.

I was a pretty standard trail mix, meat and cheese kind of guy. I had a gel phase because I had a hard time chewing in the cold. This summer I’ve been doing more trail running and mountain biking and I’ve started making my own “gel”. It’s honey, creamy peanut butter, hazelnut spread (I found one with no palm oil), water, or coffee, and some salt. I put it into a soft flask, and that can get me through at least a few hours. I’ll be trying it this winter but not sure how viscous it will get when cold.

Peanut butter and honey for fats and glucose, and trail mix with a carbs/fats ratio mix for the planned intensity. Nuun for making hydration work better. Sometimes soup in a thermos, and on very cold days, a stove and hot options….

Gravity always wins...

I bring a canned coffee for midday caffeine (since I usually have 2 cups a day) along with some salted dark chocolate.

The maple syrup gels with salt in them are also good and go down easy.

A mix of salty (cheese puffs) and sweet options so your mouth doesn’t feel coated with sugar all day.

The miso soup in a travel coffee mug (with a couple dashes of hot sauce) is great.

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    .. thermoses (kinda heavy but warm is clutch) ..
    it's not heavy if you're strong enough ....

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Boiled baby red potatoes in a Ziploc, dump in olive oil salt and yucateco habanero sauce. Smash the taters. Don't bother with a fork.

Always have a sack of salted peanuts in there. Im gonna buy a stack of snickers for this season now

Sent from my CPH2417 using Tapatalk

I'll bring fried chicken, pizza, smoked salmon, etc. when I'm working but generally tend more towards the snickers bar, salami and cheese, gummies side of things on personal trips. When I'm really working hard, I pretty much stick to shot bloks and/or some kind of drink mix with calories and salts.

I bring a variety of things but often pbj or meat/cheese/bread. I almost always have corn nuts because they are so light.

I try and keep a running log in a note on my phone of what I ate/drank on any particular trip along with conditions. Usually done while sipping a post-tour beer at the car.

Otherwise my exercised-induced amnesia (and said beer) would cause me to forget what I had really wished I had brought on the tour ("fuck me, I wish I had brought that meat lovers pizza from last night").

I look back at it and use it for occasional inspiration of what to pack for upcoming trips.

Having second breakfast while gearing up and maybe a big drink of water keeps me from being hungry within the next hour or two.

But yeah, Snickers.

I like to just do a gel and some water when I kick things off. I carry a light weight aluminum bottle and put hot tea with a tsp of honey in it for something hot. Then a mixed dried fruit - apple, banana, figs, pumpkin seeds, nuts and some dark chocolate chips for energy. But my longest tours rarely go over 4 hours. But Snickers here too, that seems to be the consensus for some quick energy calories.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

The Gatorade “chocolate chip” or “cookies and cream” protein bars are not that bad - like a chocolate coated granola bar with 20g of whey protein in it. They don’t get too hard in cold temps either. The other flavors (mint, peanut butter, caramel) are passable.

thermos of herb tea, jerky, dryed fruit, nuts I don't need to eat much while touring

I have done 24hrs entirely on hammer perpetuim and some hammer shots,

didnt get sic or bonk
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb McHardman View Post
    I'll bring fried chicken, pizza, smoked salmon, etc. when I'm working but generally tend more towards the snickers bar, salami and cheese, gummies side of things on personal trips. When I'm really working hard, I pretty much stick to shot bloks and/or some kind of drink mix with calories and salts.
    Second the fried chicken. High in Fat/Cal/Protein to keep up with the higher caloric demand and it tastes good

What everyday touring pack can hold a bucket of KFC? I want to bring this out on a mountaintop and pass it around. Maybe have a drumstick if going up a mellow skin track.

For real though - fried chicken sounds delicious for touring.

Touring Meals/Snacks

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    What everyday touring pack can hold a bucket of KFC? I want to bring this out on a mountaintop and pass it around. Maybe have a drumstick if going up a mellow skin track.

For real though - fried chicken sounds delicious for touring.
    Sub the helmet strap for a KFC bucket strap. Could become a thing
    Name:  IMG_4517.JPG
Views: 636
Size:  181.2 KB
    This but full of fried chicken and maybe some avy tools/insulating layers

But in all seriousness I used to work in military mountaineering and we(the US) has an exchange with the royal marine commandos and one the exchange guys would just go to the local grocery store buy a 9pc bag of fried chicken and live off it for a few days. It turned out to be a pretty tasty and effective way to manage the higher caloric demands of human powered movement in the mountains.

Toasted english muffin, black forest ham, fried egg, american cheese, green chile wrapped in aluminum foil.
    Or leftover pizza.
    Almonds and peanut M&M's for snacks.
    Drip drop in the water bottle.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I’m a huge sucker for fried chicken drumsticks, but I’ve never even considered putting a few in my touring pack. One of the best tech tips I’ve ever gotten here.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Bacon, brie and jelly (your choice of fruit with hot pepper).
    On toaster waffles for bread.

Tasty calorie bomb and the waffles make for robust protection.

There've been a couple nutrition studies that analyzed Snickers bars vs commercial energy bars and found that Snickers have many advantages. I think there have also been some studies showing performance is the same when using those.

That said, I don't really like Snickers bars so my gotos are: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, dried li-hing mango, trader joe's chocolate truffles, unwrapped reese's minis.

Sometimes when I don't feel like I can stomach another PB&J I'll switch to peanut butter and honey (especially for the morning sando). If you want to spice up the peanut butter and honey you can add a dash of sriracha or serrano as well.

On multi-day things or long climbing days where cramming a lot of calories and various macros into a single serving is useful I'll add some sort of protein bar. My current favorites are Pro Bars (all the flavors are pretty good).

If it's cold out (and especially if it's snowing) I'll usually bring a thermos full of miso soup. You can buy miso concentrate on Amazon (needs to be refrigerated after opening) and add hot water at home before leaving in the thermos. For multi-day things I found some instant miso sachets from Japan that are great.

I’ve taken peanut butter bacon and maple syrup sandwiches on cold weather hunting trips for a calorie bomb. Did the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Oh great, now I need to buy a blender.