Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

THE Aspen/Snowmass / Greater Roaring Fork Valley 23-24 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Attention: OG's. Are we feeling some wind holds this morning with the gondola? Getting out the door right now and not sure where to head...

edit: feeling the Knob now.
    Gondola was shut down most of yesterday and they had to clear some World Cup setup to allow the public to ski to 1A. I’d guess the Gondola is spotty today as well.

I’d say go to Highlands. As long as Smith Hill is ok to get up out of Woody Creek, you should be good. Zero vis and much stronger winds when I was at the Rodeo lot in Snowmass an hour ago. Snowing and some wind here on Castle Creek.

ETA: snowing nicely both in town and at highlands base at 11:30. Gondi was running fine all morning
    Last edited by alpinevibes; 02-27-2024 at 01:01 PM.

The Knob and Campground were really good. But it’s hard to argue against Highlands.

Nuking on Ajax. Dense and deep if you ski the right runs. Icy bumps are lurking if you don't know where to go.

Banging my head against a wall repeatedly for not being able to get out today. Hopefully tomorrow morning is good as well
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Traffic issues forced me to snowmass instead of the original plan, but it was a pleasant surprise as the skiing was blower. Still nuking. Tomorrow will be good. Cold, but good.

Yeah I couldn’t make it happen today, but got my boot fixed and skis tuned up. Tomorrow will be very good; right side up storm and cold overnight.

My wife skied Tiehack pow laps at 11 - she said there were only 8 cars in the lot. No one skiing…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Best day of the year by far for me. Surprisingly deep and free refills in steeplechase.
    I bet tomorrow am will be good too but I’ll be working world cup setup so glad I got out today

Yep, I thought today at Snowmass was the best surface conditions I have skied so far this season. Wouldn't be surprised if Aspen schools have a 'make up' snow day tomorrow - and I think it's supposed to be clearing.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Yep, I thought today at Snowmass was the best surface conditions I have skied so far this season. Wouldn't be surprised if Aspen schools have a 'make up' snow day tomorrow - and I think it's supposed to be clearing.
    Apparently they didn’t call today because they thought the storm was a bust despite every forecast for a week calling for Tuesday day to be the main stormy period.

In their defense, it didn’t really hit until 9amish.
    I’m at 1A and it seems to be tapering off.

Lots of complaints from parents yesterday hence the "snow day protocol" reminder email.

I'm glad they didn't call a snow day yesterday or today. We live in a mountain town, sometimes you have to go places in a snow storm. Throw some Blizzaks on the Range Rover and slow down, you'll be fine.

God forbid the kids lernended the mathz$$$.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Lots of complaints from parents yesterday hence the "snow day protocol" reminder email.

I'm glad they didn't call a snow day yesterday or today. We live in a mountain town, sometimes you have to go places in a snow storm. Throw some Blizzaks on the Range Rover and slow down, you'll be fine.
    I agree that school shouldn’t be canceled based on a forecast. It’s gotta be on the ground first.

I did think the email from the district that nobody signed their name to was kinda funny though. Clearly they had received some complaints. Also, the district has 2 allotted snow days built into the school schedule so…

I’m personally pretty comfortable driving in winter conditions, although I don’t have a Range Rover. Those things work pretty good?

As something of a consolation, we have a late start today, so at least I can get a first lap in!

Baugh was out driving around at 5am, checking out the roads. He made the decision to call a normal day based on the 1/4 of snow and the lack of precip before 6am. Even at 7:30 it was still mostly clear here at Burlingame. Our headmasters paraphrasing was “we don’t call snow days based on forecasts.” I think they made the right call but I think if the forecast hadn’t been downgraded over the weekend and Monday, there may have been a different outcome (he and Baugh have made different calls based on forecasts before).

With the advent of late starts for both schools, the decision making has become pretty soft with anything more than 2” on the ground. I think our people (and apparently the rest of the community) are getting attuned to “something” being called when it snows. There was some grumbling in our camp but most people seemed to be ok with it. The main concern for us, internally, was afternoon bus routes and downvalley travel, but those were not that bad and there was blue sky showing above Woody Creek when I was the intercept lot

I really wish we could get rid of the delayed starts and go back to five years ago when it was either a snow day or not. We actually discussed conditions and outcomes instead of [seemingly] calling a delay just in case. That said, I do know the Sheriffs have provided more input over the last few years and there seems to be a strong push from them to limit “unsafe” highway travel, despite my sense that in the upper valley snow tire usage and road conditions have been well manageable.

Diverted to Snowmass due to lots of traffic going upvalley and it was quite good. Super deep and untracked in HV wall and burnt mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Ajax this morning cured my FOMO from yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Ajax this morning cured my FOMO from yesterday

Truth! [Were you skiing Sender Ti’s with Folkrm poles?]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1709163719.842666.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	488522

I had fifteen minutes from getting off the gondola to be back down at the base but Face to Six was money; Pinball was money and Cone 2 was untracked. Not all-time skiing but def best laps of the season.

Doubled back to Buttermilk for the afternoon and got some fun laps in with some 2nd graders. Great day!

Holy fuck. Really? No wonder Aspen is a complete shit-show. What, is this the front-range BETA forum now? ha

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Truth! [Were you skiing Sender Ti’s with Folkrm poles?
    Not me, first day out on Rustler 10's that were mounted last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatstix View Post
    Holy fuck. Really? No wonder Aspen is a complete shit-show. What, is this the front-range BETA forum now? ha
    Ha...what do you think it is 2005? Its probably on Insta and Strava. There are no secrets any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatstix View Post
    Wut?

Wut?
    I hear you. However, I still blame it all on TGR. (adding another "ha") HAHA

I got one on Snowmass this am. Baby Ruth to the glades was ridiculously deep.

I did get a few today
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01372.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	488661

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Wut?
    I think he/she was implying that the handful runs you listed, which are all either directly underneath or visible from at least one chairlift, are supposed to be a big secret.

Phatstix is an OG mag, good skier,good dude.

Skiings good!

Power went out at Campo last night at 8. Amazing how many people go out, without cash.