Page 55 of 79 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1951
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    They raised the prices by about 8%, in line with inflation but still barely overtaking prices from 2020/2021. Let's remember that an unlimited pass at Stowe was north of $2,100 the last year AIG owned the place. An unlimited Epic is still 53% less than just a Stowe pass was.

I know everybody likes to hate Vail and Alterra but they have made my skiing life cheaper/better.

I know, crowds, paid parking, and corporate soullessness, etc but honestly, I just get to ski in a lot more places on weekdays for way less money. And they raised employee wages significantly.
    This is the way
    For real, it’s just such an easy decision to make.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Up at 5:30 and was bleh, got out of bed at six 2 this

Attachment 489519

Glad I got moving because it was prime at nine

Attachment 489520

Attachment 489521

Zoomed some groom

Attachment 489522

Get it before it's gone

Attachment 489523

Lurker Jerry

Attachment 489524

I had a good time along the side

Attachment 489525

Got a good crew together
    The left entrance is the right entrance

Attachment 489526

Hard to believe this shit is still open

Attachment 489527

Noon and it was over, thankfull for 20k of turns

Attachment 489528

Not sure what this is about....

Attachment 489529

Only one [1] route groomed from each peak and murky so pass today

K Friday?
    Making the best of it!

I'll be at k Friday am. Shoot me a pm if you want to hookup for some laps

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

No doubt Epic and Ikon are great for the retired, or those with no real "need" to ski weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44 View Post
    No doubt Epic and Ikon are great for the retired, or those with no real "need" to ski weekends.
    Agree.
    There is a good article in The Economist about ski industry consolidation this week.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Yeah, the rest of the world and families trying to introduce their kids to skiing are completely fucked. They're not going to buy a pass to take the fam for a day or two of skiing to see if they even like it. Buying a day pass for a family of 4...jfc. Sorry MNIAW, but you are completely wrong here. New skiers are not coming in. If your parents dont ski or take, what is the motivation to pay $200 for day tic and then wait in line all day.They have fuucked skiing. True skiers will pay a grand or two for a pass at a big hill because they'll get their monies worth and the experience was way better from all facets. Long live the Indys

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, the rest of the world and families trying to introduce their kids to skiing are completely fucked. They're not going to buy a pass to take the fam for a day or two of skiing to see if they even like it. Buying a day pass for a family of 4...jfc. Sorry MNIAW, but you are completely wrong here. New skiers are not coming in. If your parents dont ski or take, what is the motivation to pay $200 for day tic and then wait in line all day.They have fuucked skiing. True skiers will pay a grand or two for a pass at a big hill because they'll get their monies worth and the experience was way better from all facets. Long live the Indys
    You’re completely correct. Of course Harv wasn’t defending the trend. He was just saying it works for certain people. Epic and Ikon are skier exploiters- not skier builders.

https://nyskiblog.com/feeder-hills-build-skiing/

Lots of posts about individual small mountains too. Holiday is the big story this year

https://nyskiblog.com/holiday-mountain-opens-in-2024/

https://nyskiblog.com/holiday-mounta...rom-the-brink/

any resident weather nerds have any opinions about weather in the greens this sun to mon?

is josh foxing with us?

https://madriverglenweather.blogspot...bring.html?m=1
    Last edited by buckethead; 03-06-2024 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    any resident weather nerds have any opinions about weather in the greens this sun to mon?

is josh foxing us?
    Who cooks in a lesbian relationship?

No one. They both eat out.

Skiing, as we know it is on the brink of extinction with climate change. There is no point in going on. Life is over. I am considering different sports for my children. Is this real?

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Who cooks in a lesbian relationship?

No one. They both eat out.
    hey you!
    there's no joking in the writer's room

Bullshit. Did you get introduced to skiing at Stowe? You must be privileged. I got introduced at Northeast Slopes. Still open and still very accessible. My kids got introduced at Labrador (near Syracuse). The thought that you have to break into the sport at Aspen or Jackson or Squ...er, Palisades is what is wrong. It was never that way in the past. Skiing is still very accessible if you're not a dumbass. You should check out some of the options they have at Pat's Peak for newbies. And while people decry the consolidation of skiing, 75% of all ski areas in the US are not owned by Vail, Alterra, or Boyne. Get a grip.

In New England, yes, I think so. Ski season is shorter and shorter and really worse and worse. With a few exception years, and northern New England still OK. We still get plenty of great days, but less and less. Skiing is still fun, but so many people finding the fun factor not worth the expense and hassle.
    I say F this and spent Xmas holidays in SoCal and SOOOO glad I did. Road biking in shorts. Hiking and camping. Outdoor beer gardens.
    I spent the Feb School break in NH and didn't ski that much. I went fat biking, hiking, etc and just enjoyed the mountains. Most of my time skiing was working at a ski area. It was busy and meh conditions. I thought about the number of people for whom this is the skiing experience. Not the midweek days chosen for great weather and conditions.
    As to the issue of consolidation in the ski industry, climate change is making small ski areas in New England face a very real challenge with the additional costs of snow making and constant grooming due to so many freeze thaws. Vail and other larger organizations can deal with that much more easily. I see little Mt. Eustis in Littleton NH trying to make a go of it but it's just so difficult.
    I still love skiing and will continue to go, and my kids are growing up and moving out and they love skiing. They all acknowledge that if they really love skiing, they will move west.
    We are looking at WROD in early March?

Three guys go to a ski lodge, and there aren't enough rooms, so they have to share a bed. In the middle of the night, the guy on the right wakes up and says, "I had this wild, vivid dream of getting a hand job!" The guy on the left wakes up, and unbelievably, he's had the same dream, too.

Then the guy in the middle wakes up and says, "That's funny, I dreamed I was skiing!"

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Skiing, as we know it is on the brink of extinction with climate change. There is no point in going on. Life is over. I am considering different sports for my children. Is this real?

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    hey you!
    there's no joking in the writer's room
    Beats the alternative?

day ticket at wachusetts 95/adult 85/kid
    family of 4 skiing on saturday=$360
    Go like 4 days a year? plus gear?

The model of making season passes more attractive by making day pass rates so high is to put the snow/weather/skier/economy risk on the skier, not on the resort.
    Ski resorts have high fixed costs, low variable costs. So encouraging early ski pass purchases through pricing structure makes sense. It just makes it tough for those infrequent skiers.
    I have read this so many places that skier dollars are steady or increasing, but due to less skiers paying more. These are aging skiers (see TGR!) so there will be a point where those skiers stop and things might change.
    Ski resorts are addressing this by trying to build skier loyalty but usually through college pass pricing, not family pricing. Many see this as a better path to financial solvency.

Bullshit. Did you get introduced to skiing at Stowe? You must be privileged. I got introduced at Northeast Slopes. Still open and still very accessible. My kids got introduced at Labrador (near Syracuse). The thought that you have to break into the sport at Aspen or Jackson or Squ...er, Palisades is what is wrong. It was never that way in the past. Skiing is still very accessible if you're not a dumbass. You should check out some of the options they have at Pat's Peak for newbies. And while people decry the consolidation of skiing, 75% of all ski areas in the US are not owned by Vail, Alterra, or Boyne. Get a grip.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Bullshit? OK. Privileged? Ok.

I started at Alpine Ridge...defunct hill.
    Gunstock next door...over $100 a tic. Pat's Peak, just under $100 a tic. And maybe if you're lucky you live within an hours drive to one of these "inexpensive" hills. And yeah, I moved on quickly to Wildcat which was also dirt cheap back then. Now, $115-120?

We can agree to disagree. Sorry I clearly hurt your feelings.

And hey, Vail stock is on the rise!

And dinner for 4 at McDonalds is close to $50. Welcome to our brave new world.

Feelings not hurt. I do me, you do you. But don't tell me skiing is dying. USSAA reports skier visits for 21/22 and 22/23 were all-time records.

FTR, I don't own any stock, all my money is under my mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Beats the alternative?
    was kidding myself (riffing on "there's no fighting in the war room" - doctor stranglelove); your joke made me laugh.

pining for even some sun. a week ago sat. i was lapping sunny groomers and loving it.
    feels now like it was just a dream...pfft!
    Last edited by buckethead; 03-06-2024 at 04:31 PM.

...Gunstock next door...over $100 a tic. Pat's Peak, just under $100 a tic. And maybe if you're lucky you live within an hours drive to one of these "inexpensive" hills. And yeah, I moved on quickly to Wildcat which was also dirt cheap back then. Now, $115-120?
    Year 2 here...of not skiing at all. This winter sucked for skiing. 1. It's hard to get motivated mentally when it's 55 and sunny down here. 2. I checked a few times and it was A LOT of $$$$; last time I looked, a ticket to a shitty Poconos hill was $85...and 1/2 open (I think they were fully open for only about 2 weeks). By the time the day is over: 5.5hrs driving, $20 in tolls, $85 for ticket, $10 for lunch (if you pack it from Wawa). Looking at 6hrs in the car, $125 (or more), for a 1/2 open shitty hill for just me...add in the kiddos (food, tix, and rentals) and it's like a $400day...and that's with no lessons.

OTOH, I was able to open my front door, hop on my bike, and ride road or gravel for hours...I also drove 20min to the local trail system and MTB's for hours. I biked a shit ton this winter.

It makes me sad to not ski, but the glass is 1/2 full, my friends.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

But don't tell me skiing is dying. USSAA reports skier visits for 21/22 and 22/23 were all-time records.
    The population is all time high as well…. the ratio is like 1/6 vs 1/5 in 79. That’s with “cheap” passes.

Anyway, i brought the whole thing up as a joke.

Rooting for the indies, will probably ditch the Ikon next year since I’ve barely touched it. Hopefully will catch you guys at K for a few days this spring first.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Just saying I offered spots up to the mines hut next week to all you nuts crying in your cheerios. Here’s the current forecast, but sure it will change.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3215.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	385.3 KB 
ID:	489579

Sorry about that expowderbroker I deleted post to better edit it

Just wanted to point out that if you want cheap day tickets, Mt. Abram has them. It's not a megaresort experience--you can probably get more skiing in two hours at the bigger resort down the road, assuming minimal lift lines--but for introducing kids, it has a lot going for it. They even did a free day sponsored by LL Bean (with free rentals until they ran out).

BMOM is also relatively affordable.

There must be independent places in New Hampshire, Vermont and New York that are similar, right? Older lifts, less effective snowmaking, smaller footprints and priced accordingly?

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Just saying I offered spots up to the mines hut next week to all you nuts crying in your cheerios. Here’s the current forecast, but sure it will change.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3215.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	385.3 KB 
ID:	489579

Sorry about that expowderbroker I deleted post to better edit it
    it never got warm there. looks like instead of corn it could be a much more wintry harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Just wanted to point out that if you want cheap day tickets, Mt. Abram has them. It's not a megaresort experience--you can probably get more skiing in two hours at the bigger resort down the road, assuming minimal lift lines--but for introducing kids, it has a lot going for it. They even did a free day sponsored by LL Bean (with free rentals until they ran out).

BMOM is also relatively affordable.

There must be independent places in New Hampshire, Vermont and New York that are similar, right? Older lifts, less effective snowmaking, smaller footprints and priced accordingly?

Name:  IMG_6475.jpeg
Views: 358
Size:  76.0 KB

fact.

Just adding in on the offordability aspect at Black Mountain of Maine. All children through second grade ski for free. At least a half dozen evenings/days free skiing is offered. Ticket prices are $25,$35,$55,$45 Thursday through Sunday with $55 on Holidays. Plus mountain has sponsorships.

Skiing has a period of time and money investment to become proficient. Helping bridge that for folks is what will save skiing. And if climate change doesn’t screw us.