Page 19 of 97 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    This blackout period is gonna be rough on the limited backcountry available. i had to cross tracks in marginal conditions today. What's up with that
    https://www.instagram.com/p/C1V3ZEDrriN/
    Awesome hubris for first day of blackout. But you are prolly correct.
    Reminds me, need to sell Fischer skis and dynafiddles...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Very similar start of the season compared to 2017/18 after a big winter

Search and rescue and an ambulance this afternoon in the Stevens peak area today

Looks like it was a snowboarder injury on Red lake peak after triggering a avalanche

https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...-sierra-nevada

Summit ran today--only Alpine Bowl open. Some nice snow at the top. Access to the lift was by the Roundhouse runout which was a little scary with lots of beginners and lots of people trying to carry speed to get back uphill to Summit. Patrol was trying to slow people down with little success. A few runs were enough for me.

I can remember conditions this thin in years past but never this limited manmade snow this late in Dec.

I didn't see anything on the SAC link.

The warm temps and a persistent inversion probably making it tough to make snow.

If you page down in the SAC report you should see it, if they got carried though those rock bands the injuries could be significant.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1434.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	353.3 KB 
ID:	480935

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    The warm temps and a persistent inversion probably making it tough to make snow.

If you page down in the SAC report you should see it, if they got carried though those rock bands the injuries could be significant.
    Thanks. Yeah, as far as the snowmaking--warmest December I can remember. And the world-wide warming seems to be accelerating--hopefully not a permanent trend but worrisome for sure. Might be time to sell the place at Donner and use the proceeds to emigrate to Canada.

Yokels whipping in from Weasel/Tiegel + Jerry's whipping in from East Runout + peeps walking out to Roundy from the breezeway + goobers making a beeline from B2B straight to Roundhouse. I can't believe nobody died today. Patrol was not happy with that setup.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Good to know Summit and Alpine Bowl open. I’ve used my IKON pass once this year so far. The fly fishing has been decent so been doing more fishing than skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Summit ran today--only Alpine Bowl open. Some nice snow at the top. Access to the lift was by the Roundhouse runout which was a little scary with lots of beginners and lots of people trying to carry speed to get back uphill to Summit. Patrol was trying to slow people down with little success. A few runs were enough for me.

I can remember conditions this thin in years past but never this limited manmade snow this late in Dec.

I didn't see anything on the SAC link.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Good to know Summit and Alpine Bowl open. I’ve used my IKON pass once this year so far. The fly fishing has been decent so been doing more fishing than skiing.
    I was just thinking the fishing should be good and I should try that instead of sulking about the skiing

The wild ice skating is probably good too

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    the surf has been really relentless and pretty fun

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    the surf has been really relentless and pretty fun
    We ran into Ottime at KW today (for the first time in years) and my first thought was, "shouldn't you be surfing?"

Fun skiing today. 1" of fresh + wind loading + afternoon sun made for a few soft turns, and my skis are so old I don't mind rail sliding the logs and rocks.

Saw a bunch of good folks and made turns. It reminded me of a good spring day at Mad River Glen.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    someone get Chatboi AI to rant about Pali parking just to see.
    In the meantime here an AI image of 'turns in powder in Tahoe on Xmas eve'
    Attachment 480579
    The 5-legged dog tracks and presence of snow reveal this image as fake.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Been a pretty fickle season for it also, warm temps, inversions and nuisance snow that wreaks the ice. I’ve managed 13 days, 3 on the east side, and a 3 day window followed by a 7 day window in the Tahoe area.

One of those day on Angora

Caldor Fire suspects won't be tried for starting the fire. Judge felt the evidence against them was insufficient. Suspects claimed others were shooting in the area and that the evidence of whether the fire was started by shooting was not strong enough.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/sacramento/n...e-judge-rules/

FYI, fireworks at Mt Rose for New Year's Eve. Forecast looks pretty good right now. Mrs C and I are going - anyone else here?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Caldor Fire suspects won't be tried for starting the fire. Judge felt the evidence against them was insufficient. Suspects claimed others were shooting in the area and that the evidence of whether the fire was started by shooting was not strong enough.
    Silencer and machine gun charges though, wtf. Not exactly responsible people

Most likely pillars of that community.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    FYI, fireworks at Mt Rose for New Year's Eve. Forecast looks pretty good right now. Mrs C and I are going - anyone else here?
    I'll be up there, also planning on skiing in the afternoon.

Name:  IMG_8175.jpeg
Views: 628
Size:  98.2 KB

But there is sufficient evidence of being a dumb ass.

Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    I'll be up there, also planning on skiing in the afternoon.
    We're blacked out on skiing, just going for the fireworks.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4633.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	481131

Off norms nose its ankle deep in spots. Hooray for blackout dates

if anyone is here

I’m in a black jacket with yellow pant that have black knees patches

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've done a lot of shooting and the responsibility of finding a safe spot to shoot, along with a safe backstop, wind and weather conditions definitely lie upon the shooter. We've had our local range shutdown because people couldn't use their brains.

As far as the article, I find it interesting that they bother mentioning other charges against the shooters: silencer and machine gun possession. A lot of argument can be made on both sides about who should and whether those items are, regulated. Anyway, totally not skiing related, but I find it interesting journalism.

We've had some tragic fires recently. Pointing fingers at those that potentially set them doesn't make me feel any better. I applaud local forestry efforts to make our surrounding lands safer, healthier and more defensible.

Quote Originally Posted by priapism View Post
    Silencer and machine gun charges though, wtf. Not exactly responsible people
    See my response. Definitions of these items can be very vague. The article is definitely written to provoke a response like yours and I almost responded the same way, but things like a forced reset trigger that was totally legal to purchase, but became reclassified as MG parts can really muddy the water.

I'm not advocating one way or the other, but again, I find the journalistic approach interesting. It is very directive and has the expected result.

90'-91'. Horrendous. Until spring.

Seems to be kinda sucking everywhere.

Damn. Nws really missed it with this one.