Page 85 of 93 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2325
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    @ Northstar for U16 tech finals ski race for my son and just skied 7 runs of deep but somewhat sketch pow. Storm totally over delivered here and they are reporting 14”. Fun on the backside and Martis area. Bonus pow when you ski pow on a race day

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Sat was pretty solid before 2pm.
    Pow was tasty if you knew where to look; me and my crew got fresh untracked most of the morning thanks to great timing ( being at certain spots right when patrol opened them) and avoiding the obvious (while everyone waited for Backside to open we went elsewhere).
    Didn’t really get sketch until about 2 when lower elevations started to glaze up on top creating a crème brûlée effect.
    But my morning from 9-11 was Rockefeller.

Today, while not as good, still offered up some nice pockets of quasi-refresh.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I don't know when it happened but at some point yesterday evening or last night it seemed like it rained up to at least 6800'. My car was clean and yesterday's excellent snow turned into some of the worst snow I've skied in years despite snowing all afternoon. Runnels make me sad.

Depending on locations some areas really heated up also, so possibly could be heat runnels. Dumping graupel hard on the Tallac lower elevations around 3ish yesterday, strange weather day in which we would have sun on our climbs and clouds and fog on the ways down. Was skeptical on lower elevation snow today but found great snow before 10:45 on north aspect lake level lines today

Half my north aspect run was okay but the rest was crust. I was thinking heat runnels too but my car went from filthy to clean
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I had a great time skiing with my own groms this weekend. Yesterday was pretty fun up at SB.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4186.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	409.8 KB 
ID:	492706

A couple of days to recover and we’re headed to Mammoth for Spring Break. Looks like we’ll catch a bit of refresh Weds into Fri.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Word is a hand charge was thrown and landed in the ski slot of a gondola car. I had initially heard that the cabin was destroyed but upon seeing some pics it’s not nearly as bad as I had expected. Not going to post the pics so as not to endanger any employees.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Bahahaha. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    Stupid fun day on the edges of Alpine today! https://youtu.be/fnKaVW0ChRs
    Nice lines!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I didn't ride Kirkwood the past 2 days, Kirkwood rode me!!

Great skiing at the Wood. Sat (7 inches) was bluebird pow morning, storm day afternoon. Sunday (4 inches) was mostly cloudy all day, sun only peeked out a few times and then snow showers moved in late afternoon. Kind of a bummer, the whole ridge from Hell's to Thunder saddle was roped off for avy danger which I don't ever remember happening on a day I was there.. so no Soul Searcher face, no Tremans, ah well. There were patrol tracks down Carnell's in the Cirque and it was nowhere near as slidy as Saturday (most of Eagle bowl slid) but I guess they were worried and decided not to risk it.

Name:	IMG_2209.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	492707

I love it when the wind closes Summit and Alpine Bowl is running. Some great skiing this morning on the Wolverine side.

some very good snow saturday and sunday in the valley. saturday was the hardest scrapping ive done all season for tracks, very uncharacteristic. sunday was real sleepy and real good- not enough snow to draw a crowd but enough to make it great

Name:	3CDA01E2-7DE9-466D-A9DD-CB781FC17197.jpeg 
Views:	196 
Size:	309.2 KB 
ID:	492789

my awesome wife 11 weeks post delivery

Name:	06328A16-2843-475D-97E2-3FD81DBE2E91.jpeg 
Views:	195 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	492790

also big ups to my awesome dog lolClick image for larger version. 

Name:	57E509B9-3A43-489A-8B1E-FFC04BA2F1E1.jpeg 
Views:	192 
Size:	295.1 KB 
ID:	492791

shoulda been on the lookout for you, mashed!!

^^ were you in a yellow jacket yesterday emcee? I think I might have been chatting with you just after you rode that line at the top of waterfall in your pic (me orange pants, black jacket). I went back and got the higher straightline I was pointed to that is skier's left and out of frame in your photo, that's a fun line. love that zone..

my wife and I were still zombies with twins at 11 weeks LOL, you guys rock!!

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    ^^ were you in a yellow jacket yesterday emcee? I think I might have been chatting with you just after you rode that line at the top of waterfall in your pic (me orange pants, black jacket). I went back and got the higher straightline I was pointed to that is skier's left and out of frame in your photo, that's a fun line. love that zone..

my wife and I were still zombies with twins at 11 weeks LOL, you guys rock!!
    LOL yes!! blue jacket yellow pants, that was me, whiffed that line a bit - was hoping there'd be no witnesses...

great to almost literally run into you!!

Stupid fun day on the edges of Alpine today! https://youtu.be/fnKaVW0ChRs
    Nice!

Silverado running and then only opening land bridge is some grade A trolling from patrol. Not that I had high hopes for it after baking in the sun.
    EDIT: Or maybe it opened and the app wasn't showing everything correctly?
    Last edited by tshire; 04-02-2024 at 04:45 PM.

If I was technically capable, I would make a spin the wheel meme with 50 reasons why Silverado can't open, then one place on the wheel where it is actually open.Like why wasn't it open Friday? Not enough wind, couple of snowflakes? I give up.

And why no High T and High Beaver+ That terrain has traditionally been open within a day of storms once there's enough snow for patrol to ski a sled down. This season it's mostly been closed.

Quote Originally Posted by SP_7 View Post
    If I was technically capable, I would make a spin the wheel meme with 50 reasons why Silverado can't open, then one place on the wheel where it is actually open.Like why wasn't it open Friday? Not enough wind, couple of snowflakes? I give up.
    Friday morning the app showed Silverado as being scheduled. By the time people got to the upper mountain, it was closed. Quite a few were pissed. Would have been fantastic. But better to let the snow turn to shit, then open it.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    And why no High T and High Beaver+ That terrain has traditionally been open within a day of storms once there's enough snow for patrol to ski a sled down. This season it's mostly been closed.
    Yeah, definitely open way less than it used to be. I also don't see the logic in having low beaver open, but the rest closed. If it's closed for avy danger, you're just letting people traverse right under one potential danger zone, and the stuff lower down baking in the sun that people can get to is probably more likely to heat up and slide than the stuff that's closed. I can understand not wanting people to hike the ridge in low visibility, but there's been a lot of days that would have been great and everything is closed.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by tshire View Post
    Silverado running and then only opening land bridge is some grade A trolling from patrol. Not that I had high hopes for it after baking in the sun.
    EDIT: Or maybe it opened and the app wasn't showing everything correctly?
    They had to let Warren Miller in there to film on Sunday, god forbid the general public actually get Silverado with good snow

The explanation I heard was that they were waiting for it to corn up before opening it. I was at Alpine yesterday morning hoping for Estelle/Castle only find to Summit on a bullshit money hold, then had to walk up from Scott to the top of Lakeview to ski a munchkins lap as they can't be bothered to run that lift on weekdays

I know this is a popular refrain and scapegoat, but has there been a single case where private equity got involved in a business and the product or end user experience actually improved?
    Last edited by soul_skier; 04-02-2024 at 10:12 PM.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Friday morning the app showed Silverado as being scheduled. By the time people got to the upper mountain, it was closed. Quite a few were pissed. Would have been fantastic. But better to let the snow turn to shit, then open it.
    Friday was one of my favorite days of the season.Silverado had the dreaded "anticipated weather" on it for Friday. So, you know they are just going to sit around anticipating the weather all day and not open it.

They had to let Warren Miller in there to film on Sunday, god forbid the general public actually get Silverado with good snow

The explanation I heard was that they were waiting for it to corn up before opening it. I was at Alpine yesterday morning hoping for Estelle/Castle only find to Summit on a bullshit money hold, then had to walk up from Scott to the top of Lakeview to ski a munchkins lap as they can't be bothered to run that lift on weekdays

I know this is a popular refrain and scapegoat, but has there been a single case where private equity got involved in a business and the product or end user experience actually improved?
    Money hold? Summit doesn't do well with a strong east wind. If it was a money hold why run Alpine Bowl Chair, which is normally closed? I buy High T and Beaver+ as money holds but Summit was legit.

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

Holding off some of that terrain at Alpine after fresh snow, waiting for it to settle and corn up this time of year, is something they’ve been doing for a long time now. Nothing new.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

They've been doing it all season. And given another storm in the forecast holding it for corn, if that is what they're doing, makes no sense. Also, once we get into April we start to get a lot of nights well above freezing (like last night)--so no corn, just mank. All so they can call themselves "the spring skiing capital of America"? I don't think so.

Adding SB to the list of resorts contemptuous of skiers--unless those skiers are in the Academy. If you've been there this week you know what I'm talking about.

Reading the Palisades email about parking reservations for next year(the extended version) one thing caught my eye--the mention that the parking system will consider weather. Innocent sounding, but would anyone be surprised if they went to reservations on powder days midweek?

Yeah, lame for sure during the winter. I haven't been able to ski enough this season to have an opinion.

Can you elaborate about SB?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Reading the Palisades email about parking reservations for next year(the extended version) one thing caught my eye--the mention that the parking system will consider weather. Innocent sounding, but would anyone be surprised if they went to reservations on powder days midweek?
    Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I could see them overselling the first release of parking on storm weekends. Tons of people (myself included) dropped parking reservations the morning of when 80 was chain controls from Colfax to Stateline, or just completely closed.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

What's the verdict on the incoming storm? I have U14's supposedly to race SG at Sugar Bowl Thursday and Friday.

What r the odds that the race happens? Debating just staying in Mammoth till Friday and then coming up for w/e GS and SL?

Janky, one of these times we need to ski since we r on the same U16 circuit...

Thought Sat. at Northstar was super fun. Actually that was my favorite weekend in Northstar I have had. Definitely some weird terrain management. The role on skiers right of backside express was down nearly from the start then after 3 laps, they out it up? Wtf? Then it dropped everywhere short while later?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    He who has the most fun wins!