Page 65 of 92 FirstFirst ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 2295
    Cleared up a bit at KT since I got here an hour ago. No white outs and not that windy. Snow is more like alight pelting of hail-snow atm.
    Fun skiing down the N facing f chutes. Snow is bonding well and skiing is creamy. Glad I came out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wifey and 7 ladyfriends had a trip booked to the Virginia Lakes Yurt, run by High Sierra Snowcats, starting tomorrow (Friday). Mike Deacon (awesome guy) sold HSS last year, and the op has a new owner. If you don't know, the entry is at Conway Summit on 395.

Despite the various "Do Not Travel - You Will Die" warnings from NWS, CalTrans, Cal Office of Emergency Services, etc., they say that, if Conway Summit is open between 7:00 am and noon on Friday, they will give ZERO refund. If 395 is open during that time, HSS is insisting that they can "run the trip" and refuses to rebook them for next year. (They are booked up for this year already.) But if the Summit is closed, they will give a total refund. The total cost is crazy - something like $12k.

When the girls asked if they could get there, what would they ski, given ESAC's High and Extreme forecasts for Friday and Saturday, the owner gave them the ultimate mansplain -- "you probably wouldn't know the names of the runs anyway." The ladies have all been to the yurt multiple times. Ask the guide a question and he basically tells you to shut the fuck up before you arrive. A+ guide behavior!

WTAF??

I get that they are probably running low on cash, but wouldn't you rather rebook them for next year (they refused to offer this) than keep the money and create eight angry women/moms who won't patronize your business again (this was an annual trip) and will instead talk shit on social media (and the TGRz)?? I guess not. What a shitty situation.

Anyway, so now I've got a wife who is super bummed to miss her big ski trip AND is looking at eating $1,500. Suffice to say, she's fucking pissed. Buyer be-warned.

Hope the mega snowfall totals and some pow laps this weekend will cool her anger.

/BLOG

Pic of a much better lodge operation...wish we had more of this hut culture here in the lower 48.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2173.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	488773
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by maskinut View Post

Shall we all take snowmobiles to the Dubliner on Saturday Night?

Generators are juiced for the house and the well, Starlink is running off the solar generator, and food is in the fridge, trucks have winches and big tires, sleds are gassed up, Moment Comi's might even get a lap. Time to party!
    Yessssssss.... My Jeep lives for this. Already plotting a trip to my brother's in TD tomorrow for apres (driving).

I was going to wax the pow skis, but I'll do that with a breakfast beer in the morning.

Funny that PT already announced closure of AM and upper tomorrow, but our kids school hasn't called a snow day yet....

They won't call a snow day if there's nothing to ski.

"Funny that PT already announced closure of AM and upper tomorrow, but our kids school hasn't called a snow day yet...."

Fucking ninnies, I can understand checking it out in the AM and calling KT off, Jesus Fucking Christ PT you operate a ski area not a fucking day care
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Wifey and 7 ladyfriends had a trip booked to the Virginia Lakes Yurt, run by High Sierra Snowcats, starting tomorrow (Friday). Mike Deacon (awesome guy) sold HSS last year, and the op has a new owner. If you don't know, the entry is at Conway Summit on 395.

Despite the various "Do Not Travel - You Will Die" warnings from NWS, CalTrans, Cal Office of Emergency Services, etc., they say that, if Conway Summit is open between 7:00 am and noon on Friday, they will give ZERO refund. If 395 is open during that time, HSS is insisting that they can "run the trip" and refuses to rebook them for next year. (They are booked up for this year already.) But if the Summit is closed, they will give a total refund. The total cost is crazy - something like $12k.

When the girls asked if they could get there, what would they ski, given ESAC's High and Extreme forecasts for Friday and Saturday, the owner gave them the ultimate mansplain -- "you probably wouldn't know the names of the runs anyway." The ladies have all been to the yurt multiple times. Ask the guide a question and he basically tells you to shut the fuck up before you arrive. A+ guide behavior!

WTAF??

I get that they are probably running low on cash, but wouldn't you rather rebook them for next year (they refused to offer this) than keep the money and create eight angry women/moms who won't patronize your business again (this was an annual trip) and will instead talk shit on social media (and the TGRz)?? I guess not. What a shitty situation.

Anyway, so now I've got a wife who is super bummed to miss her big ski trip AND is looking at eating $1,500. Suffice to say, she's fucking pissed. Buyer be-warned.

Hope the mega snowfall totals and some pow laps this weekend will cool her anger.

/BLOG

Pic of a much better lodge operation...wish we had more of this hut culture here in the lower 48.

Wow, dude....

I live by the Cody Townsend rule of back country: I go with my gut feeling. If something doesn't feel right, I don't force it. Probably more conservative than I need to be in most cases.

I wouldn't sleep if my wife tried for that trip. It feels like a bad idea. I'd eat the money, do like you are and share the word, and move on with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    They won't call a snow day if there's nothing to ski.
    ??? Not following. They called a minimum day today by 6am and we picked the kids up with 0 snow on the ground. Now, the forecast is calling blizzard tomorrow and they haven't called off the school day. Apparently they're going to wake us up with a 5:45 phone call again. Maybe I should turn off my ringer.

In South lake I’ve had 9 feet of wind and an inch of snow. Starting to come down more aggressively though now.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    ??? Not following. They called a minimum day today by 6am and we picked the kids up with 0 snow on the ground. Now, the forecast is calling blizzard tomorrow and they haven't called off the school day. Apparently they're going to wake us up with a 5:45 phone call again. Maybe I should turn off my ringer.
    It's a joke. The reason for snow days is so people and buses don't have to drive through the snow to school but the local kids seem to make it to the resorts just fine on snow days. But if the hill isn't going to open, might as well go to school.

It's slushing hard, and has been for most of the day, here on Mt Rose highway around 5900'. Just a little elevation change makes a big difference - there's maybe 1/2" of slurpee in my driveway, but visible snow out on the highway just a little bit higher. 34* at my house, still.

It's gonna be ugly out there in the morning if the temps drop below freezing.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    In South lake I’ve had 9 feet of wind and an inch of snow. Starting to come down more aggressively though now.
    I'm gonna try for Stagecoach tomorrow morning, maybe. Probably just a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

WTAF??

/BLOG

On the one hand, I get you. On the other, they sell snow as a business, likely on a shoestring budget. They should have a few places that are basically avy-free to take them- which was what the guide said they had, mansplaining or whatever.

I mean, your wife signed up, expecting decent snow. They're asking her to basically expect that, and them some. Maybe should she just go for the ride and get a few turns in. They're asking her to basically be available to go skiing if the road's open, as to abide by her part of the contract to show up. Either she makes the best effort to be there, or not.

Brutal- a really big Sierra storm ruined your wife's cat skiing trip. Just think about that. Fuck. are we kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    "Funny that PT already announced closure of AM and upper tomorrow, but our kids school hasn't called a snow day yet...."

Fucking ninnies, I can understand checking it out in the AM and calling KT off, Jesus Fucking Christ PT you operate a ski area not a fucking day care
    There's way more than just showing up to se if they can open it, much of which can't start until control work is done. They know it's not going to open and it would cost them thousands of dollars to try to open it. Employees (way more than just 6 lifties) would have to go through all of the hassles and hazards of getting there (if even possible) just to be sent home.
    Winds are currently gusting over 100mph at Siberia and Ward Peak, and expected to increase thru tomorrow.
    And add to all that, a customer died in an avalanche under the lift less than two months ago and they were super lucky it was only one.
    Go for a tour...
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's a joke. The reason for snow days is so people and buses don't have to drive through the snow to school but the local kids seem to make it to the resorts just fine on snow days. But if the hill isn't going to open, might as well go to school.
    Gotcha. I wasn't quite picking up what you were putting down, but yeah, we all seem to get around just fine in the snow.

There was one day last year when the school didn't call a snow day, but I did. We got 10" of slush junk. It took me two hours of tractor work to get out of the driveway. My kids didn't go to school that day.

Aaaand now we got the call. I think it's funny. The rest of the world decided yesterday that everything was shut down today, but the schools waited until 6am for the call. As if they didn't see it coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Deutchskier View Post
    On the one hand, I get you. On the other, they sell snow as a business, likely on a shoestring budget. They should have a few places that are basically avy-free to take them- which was what the guide said they had, mansplaining or whatever.

I mean, your wife signed up, expecting decent snow. They're asking her to basically expect that, and them some. Maybe should she just go for the ride and get a few turns in. They're asking her to basically be available to go skiing if the road's open, as to abide by her part of the contract to show up. Either she makes the best effort to be there, or not.

Brutal- a really big Sierra storm ruined your wife's cat skiing trip. Just think about that. Fuck. are we kidding?
    I disagree with you. There's a place for an opportunity to storm ski, but with predicted blizzard conditions I think you shut down your op for the day/weekend/storm for the safety of your guests and operators. Or you bring in your guests with the understanding that there's a good chance that they'll spend the weekend snowed in. If you can't budget for down days you don't belong in business and probably won't be for long.

Or you could kill a guest and see what it does for business....

Edit: kinda reminds me if the Titan submersible. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should....

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    I'm gonna try for Stagecoach tomorrow morning, maybe. Probably just a fantasy.
    If it runs could be a great call, many years ago on a New Year’s Day storm that was the only lift running in the entire greater Tahoe area. Ski right onto the lift with tracks refilling about every two laps, amazing day.

Woke up to a underwhelming amount of new snow at the house, maybe 6”. Heavenly snotel is showing about a foot though.

If gunny is running I’ll head there though

I remember a day a few years ago standing in KT line for hours while they bombed. They final decided not to open it because it was snowing harder than patrol could keep up with. The forecast snow amounts sound like that scenario. They did open the next day with blue skies and 5 feet. Looking across GS bowl it looked like the Battle of the Bulge--heads sticking out of foxholes where people fell or got bogged down. Only double black was skiable that day.

Snow days are generally called when they think or know any bus won’t be able to complete its route. It has nothing to do with whether you can make it to the mountain

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I got called off work today and tomorrow because of the storm’s perceived potential.

Tahoe Donner just sent out a blast stating that all of their amenities (downhill skiing, xc skiing, lodge, rec facilities) will be closed today due to the storm.

NS Patrol’s daily blast says they are planning to be open but to expect limited lifts and delays.
    I heard from a friend that they had several lifts on wind hold yesterday.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    It's slushing hard, and has been for most of the day, here on Mt Rose highway around 5900'. Just a little elevation change makes a big difference - there's maybe 1/2" of slurpee in my driveway, but visible snow out on the highway just a little bit higher. 34* at my house, still.

It's gonna be ugly out there in the morning if the temps drop below freezing.
    Curious, how was the wind in Reno yesterday?

I cancelled my weekly trip down to go to the movies/get gas because the wind advisory wasn’t particularly enticing…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Mrs C said wind in Reno itself was pretty bad. I didn't go into town yesterday. Up in the trees, it wasn't terrible.

I think the slide mountain remote data NOAA site is broken again. It's showing very low winds, but Palisades shows gusts to 120.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Looks like Northstar and Heavenly have a decent amount of lifts open. These are the kind of days I wish I still had a pass there; I have great memories of storm skiing Backside at NS and Stagecoach at Heavenly with nobody around.

The one "storm" day I skied at NS we pointed our skis downhill and didn't go anywhere. I'm sure it would be better with lighter snow.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Snow days are generally called when they think or know any bus won’t be able to complete its route. It has nothing to do with whether you can make it to the mountain

Actually, it has more to do with bus stops not being plowed, they don't want kids standing in the road. I'm sure liability concerns about a bus load of kids crashing is a factor, too. Pretty easy for them to just call it, a certain number can be added to the end of the school year.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Do I need chains over the pass?