Page 79 of 93 FirstFirst ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 2314
    Not the best resort. I know. But had a great first day at heavenly
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5854.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	755.6 KB 
ID:	490711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5873.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	788.4 KB 
ID:	490712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5867.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	528.8 KB 
ID:	490713

Any beta on backcountry conditions? I’m assuming it’s hard to find wintery snow that hasn’t been blown to shit? Has the corn grown to perfection yet or did the winds slow down the process?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

let you know shortly
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

At 9 am everything is still firm on solar aspects. Looks like S faces will go in an hour or two but E faces are still semi wintery in spots.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I’m surprised that other than these “tours” that NGB doesn’t seem to get hit very much by people skinning up outside the boundary. The only tracks I had saw back there prior to Alpenglow starting there program were just blatant poaches, not any legal up and back access. Any theories among the collective why it hasn’t seen more traffic historically? Not worth the effort compared to other objectives?
    I think you nailed it. There are far easier approaches if you don't have lift access.

Quote Originally Posted by GKWood View Post
    Any beta on backcountry conditions? I’m assuming it’s hard to find wintery snow that hasn’t been blown to shit? Has the corn grown to perfection yet or did the winds slow down the process?

West facing was full corn by one last Friday. I'd be ready earlier than that today, I think. NE still has some good wintery snow. Deep patches if you can find where the wind blew it in.

Hmmm. I think I may bring some wider skis and try to catch a lake lap this afternoon. Yum, corn....

We saw a fair number of snowmobile tracks and did see 2 Snowmobiles Way down in the valley at one point. But nobody else skinning except those with guides.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I’m surprised that other than these “tours” that NGB doesn’t seem to get hit very much by people skinning up outside the boundary. The only tracks I had saw back there prior to Alpenglow starting there program were just blatant poaches, not any legal up and back access. Any theories among the collective why it hasn’t seen more traffic historically? Not worth the effort compared to other objectives?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaSnow View Post
    Not the best resort. I know. But had a great first day at heavenly
    Killebrew canyon has some fairly spicy pokes. Sometimes it can be flat out terrifying in there depending on conditions. You can usually find great turns, days after a storm. That is where I spend most of my time if the gates are open. I rarely go to the CA side.

Janky, I was with another guide in your group back in NGB that day - just us and the snowmobiles back there. The guides didn't seem thrilled they were back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    Killebrew canyon has some fairly spicy pokes. Sometimes it can be flat out terrifying in there depending on conditions. You can usually find great turns, days after a storm. That is where I spend most of my time if the gates are open. I rarely go to the CA side.
    I spent several years living where I could ski to my house under heavenly (basically under hogsback) and there is some fantastic terrain on the cali side but mostly when low elevations are in. But Killebrew (and above and below) is the place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by GKWood View Post
    At 9 am everything is still firm on solar aspects. Looks like S faces will go in an hour or two but E faces are still semi wintery in spots.
    Yup. The parking for the south bowl was already maxed so we opted to start from the east face parking of jakes to head to emerald chute. won't do that again. one of our party was slower and then had her skis bang her head in one of the climbing cruxes so we dropped at 1:45. The top wasn't too warm, but the snow hadn't really consolidated either so it was like overripe corn. The middle down had consolidated and was pretty good other than all the tracks and debris. Still super fun.

Name:	GPTempDownload (43).jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	872.3 KB 
ID:	490792

Quote Originally Posted by soda joe View Post
    Janky, I was with another guide in your group back in NGB that day - just us and the snowmobiles back there. The guides didn't seem thrilled they were back there.
    Oh nice. Awesome you were there the same day. Amazing snow. Any footage? Did you see Glen Poulsen? He was back there with his significant other touring on their own. I gave him a fist pump skiing down on a run into the flats where he was standing not knowing who he was 🤣

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

Dropped Jake’s S face at 10 and the timing was perfect. Glorious corn top to bottom. Looks like a lot of people missed the window yesterday though and left deep ruts. Easy enough to find a clear panel though

Name:	Image1710715431.995774.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	437.1 KB 
ID:	490827

Name:	IMG_2599.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	490828

Last edited by GKWood; 03-17-2024 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    And this is tomorrow, also Monday.
    Silverado----Scheduled -----9am - 3:30pm--Scheduled

Secret Silverado opening today…Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1723.JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	490866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1724.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	490867

Wow. That looks like fun. My kid was just talking about the day we lapped Silverado two years ago. Mostly Land Bridge until things softened up a bit on the face. No lines that day and LB was soft winter goodness. Love that part of the hill on days like that. It feels like a private resort back there sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    one more from that quiet kirkwood tuesday. 3" skied like 6+ if you knew where to look

amazing to just have the whole mountain pop open with nobody there. pinch me

Attachment 490481
    +1 for the best kind of days.

My kid was in preschool around 2015 or 2016 and we went up a lot that winter as they had a 10 pack of lessons. We made seven midweek trips and six were minor powder days. No one around and no lift delays. It was awesome.

That entire winter was great. Rarely did we have a storm of a foot of snow, so no big dumps. But it snowed all winter and the pack was deeper than the current one. And the Bay Area crowds never showed up, even though the snow was wintery goodness almost everyday from Thanksgiving to Easter.

Geeeeez. Insane line. Anyone know how the conditions were? I can't imagine the snow was ready to rip at 9am. I really wish they would stop advertising Silverado at all but we're way past that at this point. Even every idiot asking in mid December when it's going to open is part of the problem too.

It was only open for maybe a little more than an hour. No notification at all, not sure if it was ever updated on the app that it was running either. I got to the top of Emigrant and saw it running with people on it, that was a little after 1pm. Gate 7 and Oregon trail open only. Conditions were all over the place, bullet proof crust to soft turns. They were only loading doubles at first with the corral setup with a singles line, brilliant. Later it was loading as a triple.

Opened around noon yesterday, closed around 2-something.

Name:	IMG_2558.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	490961

Opened today at 9:00 am. Solar aspects should get better throughout the week as the corn cycle matures. True north still holding soft wintry turns.

Amazing weekend at the blown-out resort complex formerly known as, aka BORCFKA.
    sproing!

Bummer it wasn't open on Saturday...I ended up skiing KT 13 times from 8:45am opening and then two Red Dog laps. Nose to Fingers was so good. Oly Lady zone had some nice north facing windblown. Red Dog Face groomer could not have been any more perfect in my humble opinion...so damn fun.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Opened around noon yesterday, closed around 2-something.

Opened today at 9:00 am. Solar aspects should get better throughout the week as the corn cycle matures. True north still holding soft wintry turns.

Amazing weekend at the blown-out resort complex formerly known as, aka BORCFKA.
    BORCFKA is def my favorite moniker yet

Sent from my CPH2417 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the Silverado report SP_7

Oh and the KW weekend report.

Saturday had bumper to bumper traffic coming in starting at 7:25 and it ended by 9:40. Drove across the valley and found prime spot in a "full lot." The mountain skied quite well considering all the wind from the previous days. Anything leeward, gullies, cutes or tree lined shots was excellent wind buff. Best lines were Waterfall, All The Way, Lower Cirque, Two-Man Chute, One-Man Chute, pretty much all of Thunder Saddle. Vista looked good but the free ride comp (that early traffic) was over there. Other places skied well, but those were the best. Olympic to Hoel it he Wall was quite good s well. And Ski School Chute to Fireball, etc.

Sunday was more spring like but as things softened up, there was still some great buff to be had. The freeride comp moved to the shoulder of the Cirque above Hell's Delight and the rope line was down the ridge allowing people into the Saddle and over toward One-Man The snow was excellent, but by the time we went through, bumps had formed and they were a little weird through the crux. Still, shocking good wintery snow.

Next weekend looks fun perhaps. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Next weekend looks fun perhaps. Fingers crossed.
    Oh it will be. Know how I knowz? I have a b-day party that I can't miss down in Discovery bay.

Models are showing maybe a solid week of snow off and on starting this Friday night through next Sunday. Goofus model is of course playing the total hero (see total snowfall below for that time period). Let's hope we can one final dance with the pow pow

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 3.07.39 PM.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	534.3 KB 
ID:	491165

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    Oh it will be. Know how I knowz? I have a b-day party that I can't miss down in Discovery bay.