Page 51 of 92 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2295
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    So real. Who the fuck let a semi go up there with chain controls up.

When the weather is like this--snow mixed with no snow mixed with sun things get dicey on the freeway with chain controls sometimes lagging the squalls. Only time I ever wrecked due to snow was WB 80 in the foothills, chain controls were off although my old 4Runner was still in 4WD and I was doing 50 when I hit a patch of snow a squall had just dropped. After careening off both shoulders I wound up back on the right with about 5 other cars who had done the same thing. I was able to driveway down to Sac, sort of sideways. Car was totaled though.
    I’m trying to remember, do they have chain controls at the the top ever? I see chain control set up down at Donner Lake, but usually leaving SB, 40 is either just open or closed. So maybe he got off at Soda Springs heading east to bypass 80 and jackknifed heading down to the lake.

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    In other news: Sports Hub raised their mount price to $69. Maybe I finally need to get off my ass and mount my own bindings.
    I thought you were a local? Not trying to bust your balls but if you know, you know. Don’t you work for the resort?

Edit with Clarification: Sports Hub is great so no shade being thrown here. Ask around.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post

Sports Hub is great so no shade being thrown here. Ask around.
    I concur those guys always hook up the locals. And they have the best ski selection in town.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

I don't know about all of your North shore traffic and crowds, but the snow way out in the backcountry where I like to go was far better than I expected today. The upside down layers are there, but it skis like settled pow. I saw no one all day.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Today did not suck. Wind refill machine set to 11 at Alpine Meadows.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Wind refill definitely working on the other side of B2B. So much so I set off some spooky avalanches in the secret extra steeps of KT. Less avy prone wind loading spots skied delightfully.

Sent from my SM-A037U using Tapatalk

Me and my crew found quite a few untouched pow stashes today at Gnarthstar.
    We were bouncing through fluff al the way until 4:15.
    The cold temps and brisk wind definitely helped keep them nice and creamy.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I thought you were a local? Not trying to bust your balls but if you know, you know. Don’t you work for the resort?

Edit with Clarification: Sports Hub is great so no shade being thrown here. Ask around.

Edit for simplicity: if you knew me you'd know. I have no time to deal with this myself and I trust Sports Hub. Almost none of my gear comes from them. I don't expect any deals.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I’m trying to remember, do they have chain controls at the the top ever? I see chain control set up down at Donner Lake, but usually leaving SB, 40 is either just open or closed. So maybe he got off at Soda Springs heading east to bypass 80 and jackknifed heading down to the lake.
    Never seen it at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Since 1990 the surrounding metropolitan areas (Reno, Sacramento, etc) have more than doubled in population. Rose added the chutes (are they open yet?) and Northstar added Lookout. Any other new terrain added?
    Can you count Summit lift at SB?
    Sure a lot used to hike up there b4 lift, but was hella awesome on a bunch of days when it was running...back in the day.
    Wind formed pillow drops and str8 back to chair? Well, yes sure!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

^ I’d put Crows Peak at SB on the recently added capacity list.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Can you count Summit lift at SB?
    Sure a lot used to hike up there b4 lift, but was hella awesome on a bunch of days when it was running...back in the day.
    Wind formed pillow drops and str8 back to chair? Well, yes sure!

Oh geez. Summit runs ~5 times per year. Not sure I'd add that. I'd love to see stats on how many days it runs. They did run it a fair amount last year. It's the SB equivalent of Silverado.

Crow's is a fair add and runs most days.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Mounting bindings with paper templates is about as easy as it gets. I’d guess at this point I’ve saved a few grand not having shops mount all the skis I’ve owned? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Dude, you clearly have a worse ski habbit than I do. I've probably spent a few hundred on mounts, though everything I've bought local has been mounted for free.

My kids have been getting mostly handed down gear from friends. It's been a huge hookup. I guess as they get bigger and have more gear to cycle through I may have to get into the binding mounting game.

Winter is a friggin thrash for me. Summer is easy. If I could get my gear together during the summer life would be good.

I weighed the hour that I would spend doing a mount at a friend's shop and decided to just drop them at Sports Hub on my way through town.

Happy skiing today, everyone. Yesterday was a sleeper. Maybe my favorite day so far.

Absolutely gorgeous morning at Alpine. Kind of a sleeper bluebird powder day with the yesterday's wind making those 4 inches go much further. Was tempted to go to the OV side for Siberia/Headwall opening but glad I stayed on this side. No crowds whatsoever and the higher bowls all filled completely. Beaver/Estelle opened right away and were nicely filled in (quite a bit of avvy debris though). Lower saddle was excellent. I heard them bombing towards sherwood/Grouse so I'm guessing it's open by now, but I had to get to work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2142.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	486067

Name:	IMG_2140.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	486066

Name:	IMG_2145.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	486068

Visited in the summer previously, but last weekend was my first time skiing in Tahoe. Found Heavenly oddly laid out, but loved the tree skiing. Boot deep just off the groomed in all the glades. Need to visit the north end ski resorts next time.

Name:	Image1707433658.497027.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	486094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1707433705.321068.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	486095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1707433756.726714.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	486096
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Looks excellent....good job creating FOMO for me

Quote Originally Posted by GKWood View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous morning at Alpine. Kind of a sleeper bluebird powder day with the yesterday's wind making those 4 inches go much further. Was tempted to go to the OV side for Siberia/Headwall opening but glad I stayed on this side. No crowds whatsoever and the higher bowls all filled completely. Beaver/Estelle opened right away and were nicely filled in (quite a bit of avvy debris though). Lower saddle was excellent. I heard them bombing towards sherwood/Grouse so I'm guessing it's open by now, but I had to get to work.

Name:	IMG_2142.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	486067

Name:	IMG_2140.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	486066

Name:	IMG_2145.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	486068

Decent ops update from Palisades sent out just now....

* Lakeview opening at Alpine (finally)
    * Sherwood Shuttle gonna operate this weekend
    * They are going to try to run O Lady and BA @ Palisades

They actually mention this about Silverado (no mention of it being busticated):

"Silverado does not have enough snow yet; we cannot even get a snowcat close to the bottom.."

Rose opened the “chutes” today

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mt.Rose opened Chutes around 2:30 today.
    That's the way to do it. Quiet like.
    *Not* making a fuss on Twitter b4 hand...looking at you Palisades

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Only Beehive, Nightmare and Millertime gates so far.

First run in beehive was awsome. After that not so much, chunder and peeps. But Millertime was good.

Love that line in Estelle. Nice work

Agreed. Keep it quiet, do it on a weekday.

I once went to Mt Rose with a buddy (first time ever at Rose actually) on a weekday after an atmospheric river dumped snow on Mt Rose but mix of snow/rain everywhere else. We skied a few runs and then someone told us they were going to open The Chutes. I had no clue what they were but we had to go and find out. We found out later that day it was the first time they had been open all year and we got to him that opening day. Lucky. So damn fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Mt.Rose opened Chutes around 2:30 today.
    That's the way to do it. Quiet like.
    *Not* making a fuss on Twitter b4 hand...looking at you Palisades

There’s always Mt Rose was the battle cry on many a rain soaked morning lakeside