Page 25 of 54 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    If you get an opportunity, please fill us in. Vibes to your friend. Going thru the strainer sucks.
    I don't have any incident details beyond what was posted in the ob just yet. Can report that no (permanently) life-altering injuries were sustained. He's definitely beat up (fractures to face, chest, back...yeeesh) but expected to make a full recovery.

Slide on why not ? Is Rock springs even in play right now? Reading the avalanche forecast out there is scary right now . Pretty scary everywhere actually

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, rock springs is in play. Locs been hitting OB since well before the storm cycle.

The combination of a long, dry, hardpacking spell combined with a multi day cycle of big wind has made all the usually safe zones more questionable.

Wind loading was at its best to do its worst.

Main drags have either been skied in or just slid. Everything else is a bad bet right now. Stunning sunny skiing past coupla days and almost zero tracks going south. Usually Pucker face, No, 4, 4p, and no name have been tagged by now.

Also, wstdeep said he was at the Prow after it slid hudge the other day. Main wide entry cracked above and pulled in from the sides, thru the rockband and then further widened below the band extending both sides for a ways.

I suspect there will be a lot of unsafe slopes for a while. Even if they lock down soon, that layer is a real conundrum. Pray for a hella bonding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's good news North, but face fractures...ouch.

What is it with truckers lately?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WYO22TetonPassWest2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	483203

Thanks for the update Django . I see the hobacks are closed , is that a coverage or avie issue ?

Cold meadow skipping yesterday.

Name:	20240115_133723_016.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	483213

Hobacks now open

Re Ships: a wall to wall slide, pulled around the --corner and uphill above the choke running completely thru the meadow at the bottom to the far side. Estimate of max debris depth 8-10 ft with about 5 ft covering the meadow. stuff is running farther and pulling onto flatter terrain at the top. Sobering

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Cold meadow skipping yesterday.

Name:	20240115_133723_016.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	483213
    Nice!!

What's your definition of meadow skipping? Looking for new places to go with these
    https://www.skiessentials.com/2021-s...ound-crown-112

I've been gravitating towards these more and more the past couple years. What's the angle on that slope, more than 20-25? Mounted with NNN-BC they are so much fun, but over 22 degrees I'd rather be on locked in on my dynafits.

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Re Ships: a wall to wall slide, pulled around the --corner and uphill above the choke running completely thru the meadow at the bottom to the far side. Estimate of max debris depth 8-10 ft with about 5 ft covering the meadow. stuff is running farther and pulling onto flatter terrain at the top. Sobering
    Scary

Re ships.
    Wow. But. It’s good to know what slid already.
    Clean it out for the next cycle of normal winter.
    You would think the goat path was scraped already.

Pucker slid.
    Anything powder eights or shadows or no name?

Granite? Ouch. Doubtful. Shouldn’t be there.
    . . .

Skiing today felt like the village is kinda back to where it should be. And on the quieter side of peeps too.

A not too thin skin with some punchy firming pow crud all over. Another decent cycle and we're gonna be partying like ...
    Fingers crossed for wed-thu zonal flo shift. Puhleeeeze; I wore 4 layers today. That might have been a first.

Tram laps today, only a few, but damn I live for those.
    My favorite ski conditions? Walk-on trams.
    Racing the box at -6 has its challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Also, wstdeep said he was at the Prow after it slid hudge the other day. Main wide entry cracked above and pulled in from the sides, thru the rockband and then further widened below the band extending both sides for a ways.
    These are the photos I was sent immediately after it happened + the next day.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 3.25.33 PM.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	582.2 KB 
ID:	483251

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 3.25.42 PM.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	483250

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    And the guy who was in it easily could have been killed — face hit tree(s). Wonder if things are sinking in. It's a bit of a miracle there wasn't a fatality.

That's the one you wanted people to self-report.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantmy2dollars View Post
    What's your definition of meadow skipping? Looking for new places to go with these

I've been gravitating towards these more and more the past couple years. What's the angle on that slope, more than 20-25? Mounted with NNN-BC they are so much fun, but over 22 degrees I'd rather be on locked in on my dynafits.
    You didn't ask me, but my experience is for any real "skiing" the flimsy boots & bindings that people usually pair with the metal-edged "touring" skis are really at odds with any enjoyable turns. There is a reason that "golf courses" is prominent in the recommended terrain. Of course, you may have a different opinion. Those skis always *look* so tempting; I think they wind up in the middle of doing nothing well (out West... they're not good for skiing on real (groomed) nordic terrain, and they don't ski anything like even a bad alpine ski) — though for the midwest or similar it's probably a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Re ships.
    Wow. But. It’s good to know what slid already.
    Clean it out for the next cycle of normal winter.
    You would think the goat path was scraped already.

Pucker slid.
    Anything powder eights or shadows or no name?

Granite? Ouch. Doubtful. Shouldn’t be there.
    Not sure I would bet (yet) that just because something slide it won't be a repeat offender this year. The bed surface may be ripe for setting up for the next storm cycle. We will see.

All that said... went in search of soft, untracked snow today and found good skiing & great views.

Name:	7F5A3318.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	483249

Name:	IMG_8354.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	483274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8359.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	483275

Top of No Name Face and Breakneck.
    Last edited by wstdeep; 01-17-2024 at 12:29 PM.

Nice!!

A buddy skis the HOK version of those. I agree W/ uan, nnn bc binding blows for any downhill turns with those. My buddy has stiff tele boots w/ 3-pins but doesn’t tele them, he just alpines.
    I 8’d his turns for kicks once:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1705455125.986472.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	483280
    This was prolly 24 degrees
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    A buddy skis the HOK version of those. I agree W/ uan, nnn bc binding blows for any downhill turns with those. My buddy has stiff tele boots w/ 3-pins but doesn’t tele them, he just alpines.
    The Rottefella Xplore is a new binding that has boots with more support and different plates you can put in. There's a guy on YouTube from Star that skis the hell out of them and loves them. I wish I spent more time out there so I could have more time 'explore' a setup like this out my backdoor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkz1aD2YDxY

Nice!!

UpAllNight nails it as far as the the NNN stuff around here, there's just not enough low angle rolling hills to make it worthwhile. Or maybe I just lack the imagination to see it.

Our "meadow skipping" was probably in the 30 degree range, which is about as steep as I would go. I'll agree with UAN about paths reloading. The slab flushes out, but usually leaves the facet weak layer behind. Better to slowly add load and crush the shit out of those fuckers. Takes patience.

Not sure why but tried to edit and they deleted instead?

Recovered 1, lost the other and too lazy and hungry to retype.
    Anyway thanks for the feedback, always looking for low angle meadowy terrain if anyone has suggestions

That looks super nice! Where is that, kinda reminds me of Superbowl?
    24 deg is probably the upper limit for my S Bound set up depending on snow conditions. The problem is that once it gets too steep it's really easy to go over the bars (I'm way stronger on Alpine than tele gear) and the setup has limitations with how much they can handle for sure

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post

Better to slowly add load and crush the shit out of those fuckers. Takes patience.
    This is your lesson for today.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I 8’d his turns for kicks once:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1705455125.986472.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	483280
    This was prolly 24 degrees
    I have HOK's. I use them as a fast and much more fun snowshoe. The drag on skiing down isn't ideal for me, but I really enjoy them for specific purposes. We probably use them for grooming fat bike trails more than anything else. Just another toy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I have HOK's. I use them as a fast and much more fun snowshoe. The drag on skiing down isn't ideal for me, but I really enjoy them for specific purposes. We probably use them for grooming fat bike trails more than anything else. Just another toy to use.
    That's awesome - If your grooming Cashe Creek, thank you! Try to ride ride there once or twice a week.

Thanks to everyone for the field reports.

My 2 cents on the nnn.
    Two years ago I met couple of guys that wanted to ski with me.
    (Well that should have made me suspect right there)
    Took one lap with them. Guy on the tele gear started complaining halfway down. Suggested to him since he’s making alpine turns anyway he would be better off on alpine gear.
    Ran into them last year and asked him how he was doing.
    He had some bruising on the side of his face. Pulled up his clothing and the whole side of his body was a massive hematoma.
    He said he went over and slid into a tree.

I told him he needed new bindings.

Well, I just finally made it back to MT for the winter, but I think the right move is to head right back down to Driggs tonight and hit Targhee THURS am and burn one up on my Mountain Collective pass. Mango jacket, black pants, Moment wildcats, early shift, give a shout! T
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

It's 40* warmer at my house than it was two days ago. Not surprised to see this from WYDOT:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 5.13.21 PM.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	256.5 KB 
ID:	483389