Page 11 of 98 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    I agree with PinyonJuniper5. I thought the Olympics were a blast in 2002, and Utah benefitted from it! I always enjoy watching them and enjoy a lot of the events. I try to watch ski and snowboard world cup events when possible. There were also some awesome concerts during that time so the entertainment that comes with the games is another benefit. Should be interesting to see how everything plays out, and I would love to take my son to some events so hopefully, he has a similar experience as I did when I was a kid.

Plus it would be nice if the olympics and media exposure helped push the legislature to help the GSL. Certainly won't be a good look if everyone has to wear gas masks to keep from breathing in the toxic air.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Any bets on a rush job on the Gondola?
    That article from a few weeks ago seemed pretty definitive that potential events up LCC are DOA, but I'm sure the powers that be have no plans to let pesky facts like that interfere with using the Olympics to justify fast-tracking the gondola.

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Yay! Finally!! Financial incentive not to let the lake dry out and kill us all in a selenium cloud!

It's the only thing that moves the needle with this fucking legislature.
    I personally like my smog with a side of arsenic.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I guess I fail to make the connection between our elected land developers fixing the lake/pollution problems and the Olympics. I think they’ll be too busy tripping over each other’s dicks to change laws to further enrich themselves to take any real action there.

So the thesis is that the international spotlight on the problem will force them to do something? Or that federal forces and money will push it?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I guess I fail to make the connection between our elected land developers fixing the lake/pollution problems and the Olympics. I think they’ll be too busy tripping over each other’s dicks to change laws to further enrich themselves to take any real action there.

So the thesis is that the international spotlight on the problem will force them to do something? Or that federal forces and money will push it?
    I just spit my coffee. And I thought I was the jaded Utah local here lol

Put me in the skeptical camp, too. The only thing that will save the GSL is a legally-mandated minimum annual inflow and I fail to see how the Olympics could help make that happen. Improving air pollution realistically means replacing ICE vehicles with BEV or other zero-emission vehicles, which I also don't see how the Olympics could contribute to. The air pollution situation probably will have improved by 2034 regardless due to natural attrition of older, more polluting vehicles.

Having the Olympics will not do a damn thing for the lake and of course the Olympics will bring more people here, faster than normal. And more tourists. How do you all not know this - it's not even your first rodeo, god damn.

That said, I'd love to see a few events. But I'm guessing the tickets will be too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post

That said, I'd love to see a few events. But I'm guessing the tickets will be too expensive.
    Luckily we all have 11 years to save some money.

Holy doom and gloom guys, jeez.
    Y’all lost some bitch tickets today.

Because 5 year window before lake dries up vs. 11 year window to build before Olympic money = Profit!

The demand for more money will be the driver. Likely, the only driver. Personal health and welfare for future generations doesn't count, paradoxically.

I mean, can they even hold them here if everyone's dead? I feel that the IOC might frown upon that somehow and could change their decision.

And allow that sweet, sweet olympic titty money go to the Japanese? Pearl Harbor, all over again!
    Montani Semper Liberi

Maybe the ski buses will be fully viable sometime next decade!

Quote Originally Posted by crankplank View Post
    Maybe the ski buses will be fully viable sometime next decade!

elon musk will solve this problem with a tunnel and a fleet of self driving teslas and the legislature will fully fund it before they break ground

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Yay! Finally!! Financial incentive not to let the lake dry out and kill us all in a selenium cloud!

It's the only thing that moves the needle with this fucking legislature.
    Ya, apparently your citizens need to be alive in order to have a tax base, who’d a thought?

Paging Stuntmonkey, you still coming to town this weekend? Looks like you might nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Cashing in some additional bitchtickets because the UDOT parking IG post is confusing as hell.
    Anyone have any clarification on this? I believe if I read this correctly, that uphill travel shoulder parking at/before Soli Entry 1 (willow heights trailhead and above) is now required to have a paid reservation and there are/will be some pre-6am slots available via Town of Brighton Website? None of it is clear.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Cashing in some additional bitchtickets because the UDOT parking IG post is confusing as hell.
    Anyone have any clarification on this? I believe if I read this correctly, that uphill travel shoulder parking at/before Soli Entry 1 (willow heights trailhead and above) is now required to have a paid reservation and there are/will be some pre-6am slots available via Town of Brighton Website? None of it is clear.
    reads to me as entry 1 solitude parking reservation is only required between 7am-1pm.

What is confusing to me is the "no parking anytime" for all of the guardsman road. Did they completely shut that trailhead down (at least car access)?
    EDIT: there is still the same parking up there as there was before, just no overnight parking.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    reads to me as entry 1 solitude parking reservation is only required between 7am-1pm.

What is confusing to me is the "no parking anytime" for all of the guardsman road. Did they completely shut that trailhead down (at least car access)?
    It’s blue on the section before the gate so I assume it’s business as usual with no overnight parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    None of it is clear and to make matters worse they aren't responding to questions on social media.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post

I saw two skiing events at Snowbasin during the '02 games that were completely free, besides the normal priced lift ticket. I also watched USA play Russia in ice hockey and purchased a ticket on the street outside of the E-Center (Maverik Center now?) for $100.

I had planned on avoiding the games all together, but once they got started everyone I know really enjoyed them. Alta and Snowbird were honestly ghost towns during them as well (I wouldn't expect that to be the case next time.)

I will probably volunteer and then be allowed to see what I want as a perk.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    More people, more pollution, more exposure, more growth, more crowds.
    its was is gonna happen anyway
    much like the same lames will never run out of bitch tickets in a stoke thread
    rent your house and leave with the profit or sit home and bitch on the interwebz
    I had a blast last time.
    because of the way tickets were sold in packages, I had people give me free event tickets every day. Saw world class athletes compete in our back yard
    The sillytude village was full and the slopes empty
    Solider hollow and the events there were the shits and by the end tickets were going for under 20 bucks on ksl
    Sold and traded pins and olympic swag, beers etc and made bank while partying with good people from every country
    GC & Pfunk mothership free concert ftw
    let alone the world class training and winter sports facilities were worth it in itself.
    aint sure how Mayor DUI Dans gonna get to charge to park on a state road but it is what it is
    and at least he represents his constituents well.
    hopefully ullr blesses
    thin cover sucks
    except Dalton he rips

if your lurkin hopes to ski ya again this season
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Side note my wife and I will be bouncing around Alta and Bird for the next 5 days. I’m on X-ray ON3P Jeff’s with golf pivots and she’s on purple factions.

The memories! Sure hope it is a similar experience, but as mentioned 9/11 really influenced things. Locals got front row seats that I doubt will be as easily available if the whole world genuinely desires to attend this time.

Similar to above, recall leaving my house in Sandy less than an hour before puck drop at the Mav Center, with no ticket, for Canada v Czechoslovakia. Was able to drive, park, scalp, and even return to security to get my left cell phone, to make my near center ice ticket in lower bowl by start. Doubt that can happen in ‘34.

Also memorable as being a former Detroiter, this was during the Wings run and I got to see Yzerman and others playing against Hasek in net. Saw Mario Lemieux’s first Oly goal. Went to many games/events and the “country houses” for cellys! From USA v Russia, Men’s DH, to 4 Man Bob to drinking with Swiss’ Harry Potter! It likely ruined me for whatever comes next, but I look forward to being there!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    oh yeah act now and ill sell ya a green jellow pin and roots cap for $420
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Wasatch 23/24 Stoke Thread: Red Snake Coverage coming at you live from tgapp's fartba

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    its was is gonna happen anyway
    Meh, it’s already ruined/it’ll get ruined anyway seems like a pretty lame excuse for almost everything.

much like the same lames will never run out of bitch tickets in a stoke thread
    I’m pretty sure I get unlimited bitch tickets since Buzz designated me the crusty old fuck of the Wasatch. I’ll double check with Tgapp.

I had a blast last time.
    I can think of a lot of things that are really fun that may also not be the best thing for my community. But I don’t have a crystal ball, it’s all speculation.

Anyway, I’m stoked for you guys that are all for it, and I hope all of the goods things promised, and none of the bad, come from it. It’s not the worst thing I guess and I didn’t mean to offend with my disdain of the growth and marketing machine.

Meh, it’s already ruined/it’ll get ruined anyway seems like a pretty lame excuse for almost everything.
    You could say the Olympics were going to happen no matter what but the growth and tourism that comes after an Olympics? No it wouldn't just come anyways, at least in our life times. This isn't bitching, it's stating facts. SLC is going to look pretty damn good to millions of viewers, our downtown scene (and beyond) is a million times better than what it was in 2002, the myth of SLC being a Mormon stronghold will be done completely.

I hope tickets are cheaper than I think, and I hope there is a lottery system for locals - and maybe I'll volunteer too.