Page 70 of 98 FirstFirst ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 2449
    10” at the Alta since 3pm… explains the snake. Tomorrow looks like to be gooooood!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    3.5 hours alta to mouth of canyon. Not that bad, really.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk
    Brutal! Thank you for not telling us how lucky we are to live here btw. We make sacrifices for sure.

went down to Heber courtesy of why turn's generous hookup and checked out the ski jouring event; had an absolute blast. Seeing little kids skijour was ridiculously cute, and the whole event was a super fun vibe - and a weird mix of ski culture and horse culture. Can confirm; precip rates were absolutely unbelievable from about 4:15 to 5:00, and looking at the radar, we were just getting Alta's leftovers. holy shit tomorrow should be amazing up there.

ate at Hana Ramen on the way home; I'll share my thoughts about that in the SLC food thread. holy shit though.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Just cancelled an Alta reservation for tomorrow if anyone needs it. (Didn’t offer it up cause it was a paid one)

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    went down to Heber courtesy of why turn's generous hookup and checked out the ski jouring event; had an absolute blast. Seeing little kids skijour was ridiculously cute, and the whole event was a super fun vibe - and a weird mix of ski culture and horse culture. Can confirm; precip rates were absolutely unbelievable from about 4:15 to 5:00, and looking at the radar, we were just getting Alta's leftovers. holy shit tomorrow should be amazing up there.

ate at Hana Ramen on the way home; I'll share my thoughts about that in the SLC food thread. holy shit though.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Mentioned it in the eats thread but we have one of our own on both the horse and skis in that. Gonna go root her on tomorrow after some morning DV turns. Looking forward to it!

Glad we went up big instead of little. Hour down canyon from soli at 415

Phall

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Someone had to change their underwear this morning.

First skier stayed on top, tucked in lookers left down low after getting himself back together. Second skier triggered another one through the choke left of the spine, covered the first skiers tracks after getting to his island of safety.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5735-Edit.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	353.6 KB 
ID:	487178

^^ I can't wait up for the 3 page UAC observation write up, the Go-Pro footage, and a lively discussion on social media...
    Last edited by sfotex; 02-17-2024 at 03:47 PM.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Watched that one from Collins line and just shook my head.

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Mentioned it in the eats thread but we have one of our own on both the horse and skis in that. Gonna go root her on tomorrow after some morning DV turns. Looking forward to it!
    I don’t know how many visits it’s going to take me before I get into my head that I don’t like Deer Valley. But apparently it was one more time than I had visited before today.

I mean there’s fine terrain off empire I guess. There’s fresh snow out here today. I’m having fun.

But it always feels kinda off somehow.

Beautiful morning in the Wasatch!Name:  Screenshot_20240217_132835_Photos.jpeg
Views: 760
Size:  46.9 KB

Sent from my SM-S918U using TGR Forums mobile app

https://www.sltrib.com/news/environm...tionship-with/

Alta has ‘tenuous’ relationship with Snowbird. Canyon traffic is to blame.

Julie Jag

02/17/2024

Mike Maughan, the general manager of Alta Ski Area, called for a ‘heart to heart’ with neighboring Snowbird on Valentine’s Day. It won’t be a lovefest.

At a Town of Alta town council meeting Wednesday, Maughan expressed frustration with Snowbird over its refusal to require parking reservations. That decision impacts the traffic flow in and out of Alta and, in particular, his resort’s customers and employees. Maughan said he has raised the issue to Dave Field, Snowbird’s general manager, to little avail.

“We have a tenuous relationship with Snowbird, a little bit,” Maughan said.

“We’re going to have a heart-to-heart here pretty soon with them and the Forest Service,” he added, “and see if there’s something we can do.”

Alta sits at the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon and can only be reached via State Route 210, an avalanche-prone two-lane highway that first passes by Snowbird. Two years ago, Alta implemented reservation-only paid parking until 1 p.m. every Friday through Sunday and on holidays during the ski season. Maughan said he “never could have fathomed the benefits” the reservation system would produce. It has spread out the arrival of skiers and reduced the number of cars being turned around after lots fill. In addition, he said reservations have led to an increase in carpooling and, perhaps surprisingly, more skiers visiting the resort.

Even with reservations in hand, however, Alta customers and its employees still often have to battle the red snake — the colloquial term for the canyon’s slow-moving, bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Traffic in the canyon has gotten so out of hand that last year the Utah Department of Transportation made the controversial decision to approve building a gondola through the 7-mile canyon. The Town of Alta is considering formally opposing the plan, and Maughan spoke at Wednesday’s meeting as part of that discussion.

Maughan said while he’s not completely against the gondola, he said it will not solve all of Alta’s traffic issues. Many of those issues he linked to Snowbird’s resistance to parking reservations and to its use of roadside parking.

While space in some lots can be reserved on a daily basis, much of Snowbird’s parking — at least a thousand cars’ worth — remains first-come, first-served. Hours before lifts start spinning on a powder day, cars saddled with ski racks will line up for miles along Wasatch Boulevard waiting for the Utah Department of Transportation to open SR210. Oftentimes, more cars queue up than there are parking spots in the canyon. Even armed with reservations, those bound for Alta must first wade through Snowbird traffic. That includes cars parallel parking along the south side of the road in the mornings and making U-turns out of those spots in the afternoon.

Maughan said that gums up the whole system.

“We are struggling, to put it lightly, with our neighbors down the street not having a reservation system,” Maughan said. “It’s really impacting now our employees. We are now bringing our employees in a half hour earlier, at 8 a.m., just to get them here in time to open the area because of all the traffic that has been created by first-come parking down the canyon.”

Maughan said Alta Ski Area conducted some modeling last season to measure the impact. That modeling revealed that on a clear day, nine cars from Snowbird will filter in between every two cars that leave Alta heading down the canyon because of the number of merge points at the lower resort. Add in roadside parking, Maughan said, and it’s 16 Snowbird cars for every two from Alta.

The worst of it comes, though, when the direct route between the two resorts is closed, as it often is due to avalanche danger. Maughan said in that scenario, as many as 500 Snowbird cars can fill in between every two cars coming from Alta.

“When that’s closed, we get gridlock for about an hour to almost two hours,” Maughan said. “So nothing moves: no emergency vehicles, no public transit. And it’s very frustrating.”

That frustration with traffic flows down the canyon as well, according to Fields, Snowbird’s general manager. He said the resort has been “in constant dialogue with all partners in the canyon” to find a solution.

The resort tinkered with a reservation-only system during the 2020-21 COVID-19 season, and it flopped, he said.

“We really learned that given our unique parking situation here at Snowbird,” Fields said, “a full reservation system was not ideal.”

The crux of the problem, Fields said, is that the availability of much of Snowbird’s parking depends on avalanche conditions. UDOT must greenlight parking on the highway and the resort’s own crews do the same for its Superior lot, which serves as a runout for slides coming down Mount Superior. Fields said sometimes those permissions don’t come in until hours before lifts open. He said he believes that’s too late to offer them online or to calm the early morning free-parking frenzy.

Snowbird has tried to be a good neighbor and tame traffic in other ways, though, Fields said. That includes offering giveaways and other incentives for carpooling and working with UDOT to install a barrier that keeps Alta traffic from having to merge with Snowbird’s visitors until below Entry 1. In addition, traffic is no longer allowed to park on the north side of SR210 and employees are encouraged to travel to the resort via rideshare.

Rather than a lack of reservations, Fields said he believes the traffic issues can be traced back to the Utah Transit Authority’s decision to eliminate one of two bus routes through Little Cottonwood Canyon. The 953 route, he said, was the most popular route with Snowbird passholders and employees.

“The biggest driver in all of this that can make a huge impact on the number of vehicles in the canyon,” Fields said, “is reinstating the 953 bus route.”

Fields has been an outspoken proponent of the gondola. Additionally, he steered Snowbird’s purchase of a 5-acre parcel of land at the base of the canyon that he has said would be sold at cost or donated to become the gondola’s base station.

Still, he balked at the idea that interest has played into how Snowbird is handling parking or that it doesn’t want to find solutions to the canyon’s traffic issues.

“Absolutely false,” he wrote in a text to The Tribune. “We are supportive of the gondola but no one wants to see the resumption of full UTA ski bus service more than me.”

Sent from my SM-S918U using TGR Forums mobile app

Looks like Alta feels the same way about Snowbird parking as many on this board: https://www.sltrib.com/news/environm...tionship-with/

What a day.
    Amazing high boy early, backside, shoulder, keyhole, everything skiing good through the afternoon.

Had some friends pick up hitch hikers below superior, not the guys who started the slides. They said “Superior is the best run in the continent, it’s bombed so you don’t have to worry about dying”

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Wasatch 23/24 Stoke Thread: Red Snake Coverage coming at you live from tgapp's fartba

Today was one for the books! Rare day for me at the Bird. That 10” came in overnight rightClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5010.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	350.9 KB 
ID:	487215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5012.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	487216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5014.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	487217-side up and with cool temps it stayed soft and deep late into the afternoon. I guess those visiting liked to stay on the groomers, seemed like freshies were available everywhere you looked, if that was in the trees or around some corners!

The crew knew how to rock the lot as well!

Was enjoying a surprisingly quiet morning in mineral w some surfy snow. After a couple laps we decided to put the skinner in up to east fork. About 200’ from the top a heli flew right over us and landed on the ridge. Figured it was dropping off in Cardiff as it had been earlier. 100’ before we were about to rip a p-turd group came through the trees and dropped in right below us.
    They looked slow so we quickly transitioned and hauled ass in time to blow past them right at the choke before the gully. Felt kinda good tracking up the rest of their run after that.
    Fantastic day out there regardless.

Name:	IMG_3341.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	875.1 KB 
ID:	487226

Rope drop into Bass benches was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Was enjoying a surprisingly quiet morning in mineral w some surfy snow. After a couple laps we decided to put the skinner in up to east fork. About 200’ from the top a heli flew right over us and landed on the ridge. Figured it was dropping off in Cardiff as it had been earlier. 100’ before we were about to rip a p-turd group came through the trees and dropped in right below us.
    They looked slow so we quickly transitioned and hauled ass in time to blow past them right at the choke before the gully. Felt kinda good tracking up the rest of their run after that.
    Fantastic day out there regardless.

You’ve got bad luck with the powderbirds in Mineral. Still sounds marginally better than my day.

Wasatch 23/24 Stoke Thread: Red Snake Coverage coming at you live from tgapp's fartba

So we played a game at Deer Valley. Who could be the first to find someone wearing an article of outerwear showing dirt. Or showing wear of any kind. Our group didn’t count.

We were on the mountain till 3:30.

No one won.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post

Name:	IMG_3341.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	875.1 KB 
ID:	487226

Rope drop into Bass benches was nice.
    Fuggin sikkkkk

Sent from my CPH2417 using Tapatalk

So we played a game at Deer Valley. Who could be the first to find someone wearing an article of outerwear showing dirt. Or showing wear of any kind. Our group didn’t count.

No one won.
    you missed my blue pants that have two patches sewn onto them and yellow coat that is fraying a bunch in certian spots

good low density pow off of lady morgan - i think they call it centennial in the trees? lines were a bit longer than i wanted to wait at empire so pretty much lapped lady morgan most of the day. Hard to crank a bunch of vert there despite skiing most of the day.

I did eat tgr cerfied ramen at hana though afterwards and that was great.

No one won.
    Love this vibe: "We millionaires would like to take this chance to rip on the billionaires"

Today was amazing. What a run we've been on since the new year. Second Flux of the season, Gad Chutes in rare form, Cirque firing, tons of good snow holding until the end of the day, the wind filling in upper Great Scott, and even the skied out stuff was soft. Killed me to leave at 3:00 but I had to let the dog out.

Reasonable to minimal lift lines and easy bus rides on a Saturday sunny powder day on a holiday weekend, hmmm why would that be....

Let's play "spot the send."

Name:	IMG_1314.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	347.9 KB 
ID:	487268

Name:	IMG_0926.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	466.8 KB 
ID:	487266

today failed to suck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	517.8 KB 
ID:	487267  

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Let's play "spot the send."

I'll play!

#1 - Probably the big turn into a side-air?
    #2 - Very very nice! How have I never seen this option?
    #3 - I prefer the crosscourt air on lowers looker left where you land off screen
    #4 - very nice, but I got sick of hitting rocks in that area real quick

Again, nice work as always!