Page 39 of 98 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    2 tahoe locals in Q for LCC. Heading to Alta. Anyone want to see if we can keep up…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by wra View Post
    Actually, terrain choice was the mistake.
    West Porter fork is a giant terrain trap which sees incredible use. Multiple parties in the area, almost lemming like.
    BTW, Beartrap does have avalanche terrain. Catch and carry is called "Three dudes". Short and steep, don't ask how I know.
    Of course terrain is always the mistake, no? I was more thinking about their motivation for social media content. It’s interesting that they recognize this and I wonder if it effects their decision making going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Of course terrain is always the mistake, no? I was more thinking about their motivation for social media content. It’s interesting that they recognize this and I wonder if it effects their decision making going forward.

Good point on the social media, Backcountry skiing and and social media clout make odd bedfellows for sure.

It's a truism that terrain is always the choice, the point being here that the entire zone they chose was a fraught decision. Many people consider millcreek the backup sketchy day touring spot, because you're in the woods and there's a culture around it imo. Maybe I'm just sloppy, but in my experience once I decide to enter a zone with avy terrain I cannot rely on myself and group dynamics to avoid every logic trap, perception failure and risk miscalculation that pops up. I wait for less dangerous days to go to those places, when the dice aren't so loaded to kill me if I misstep. We all choose to accept levels of risk every day, but to me this seems like a case of not recognizing the overarching risk of entering a zone that is more complex than they wanted to believe.

Here is where they were on caltopo for reference. You'll never be far from avalanche terrain in there.

Sent from my CPH2417 using Tapatalk

Sounds like there was an incident in Green's yesterday too. To WRAs point, if you have the slope and a shitty enough snowpack anything can slide.
    The problem is there's places in the Wasatch that are though of as 'safe beginner areas' where you can let your guard down, but they still have landmines in them.
    Who wants to go camp out in the Butler entry gully this weekend?
    If people are getting buried in the 'safe' places I am sure as hell staying out of Porters. I'm just not smart enough to navigate that complexity.
    https://avalanche.ca/glossary/terms/...exposure-scale
    Last edited by sfotex; 01-13-2024 at 12:24 PM.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by wra View Post
    Actually, terrain choice was the mistake.
    West Porter fork is a giant terrain trap which sees incredible use. Multiple parties in the area, almost lemming like.
    BTW, Beartrap does have avalanche terrain. Catch and carry is called "Three dudes". Short and steep, don't ask how I know.
    ^this 100%

Right now got to be one of the most unstable setups/ snowpacks that I can remember. They were lured in by low angle terrain but failed to recognize the steep avalanche terrain above and around them. Reading the write up they were very fortunate of the outcome.

Terrain management is key, do not be suckered into low angle slopes below avy terrain. Expect to trigger avys from great distances. Wouldnt be surprised if someone gets caught off guard in Butler or Beartrap again. Watch those small steep sidehills, creeks, terrain traps, tree wells etc.

Wasatch 23/24 Stoke Thread: Red Snake Coverage coming at you live from tgapp's fartba

Terrain appropriate for the conditions is my mantra. I was pointing out that some of their motivation was social media content and that they stated so.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1705175496.977714.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	482833

Of course just being in that terrain was the bad choice, the clicks is what put them their.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Terrain appropriate for the conditions is my mantra. I was pointing out that some of their motivation was social media content and that they stated so.

Of course just being in that terrain was the bad choice, the clicks is what put them their.

I get what your sayin ...Motivation is a hell of a thing. Get us into trouble real quick. Im guilty of it, we all are....gotta know when to put that motivation into check. Mountains dont give a shit about our motivation.

Their first bad decision was even going up into West Porter. Another very experienced group of skiiers who also went up into WP were lucky they didnt get hit when the headwall naturaled taking out tracks and the skinner when they were up there. WP is basically a giant slide path with terrain traps that lies below a steep headwall....normally manageable, but not now given our current setup and forecast.

Not sure what to say if people dont know to stay clear of any avy terrain and slide paths at least for the next few days. And probably a very long time before can actually start skiing them. If motivation allows them to compromise that principle then they must prepare to deal with the consequences...its really that simple.

I personally am not going to allow people to blame social media for their poor decision making.

UDOT basically closing every slidable canyon in northern utah tonight

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 2.12.15 PM.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	482847

Wasatch 23/24 Stoke Thread: Red Snake Coverage coming at you live from tgapp's fartba

Surfy out there today on most aspects mid elevation. Trees held some deeper snow. A few whoomps heard.

Name:	IMG_9781.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	731.5 KB 
ID:	482858

Name:	IMG_9797.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	482859

Last edited by criscam; 01-13-2024 at 04:15 PM.

We decided to get up early and made it to the mouth of LCC at 6:00 this morning. A long wait but the first few laps in the Ho were worth it. The hordes were just a few laps behind us though.

https://www.weather.gov/slc/AvalancheWeather

This forecast is wild. 2’ of wet and heavy snow tonight, and then another 2’ during the day tomorrow. Not sure how it’ll be possible to get the canyon open before Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojones View Post
    I wouldn't lead with “We did many things right today”
    When an accident report starts with "We did many things right" you know you're about to read some cringy shit.

Seeing people I know on Strava back in West Porter today, I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by crankplank View Post
    Many people consider millcreek the backup sketchy day touring spot, because you're in the woods and there's a culture around it imo.
    Gotta think that resort overcrowding, expensive and unavailable parking res, lack of enforcement of traction law, etc etc etc are contributors to this type of decision too. Lots of low angle terrain is now difficult to get to due to numerous hoops to jump. Easy (lazy?) route is to ski marginal terrain and risk your life. Yikes. Glad all parties are safe. I know I have definitely been guilty of stopping mid-run to take some pics. Need to have a hard think about risk/reward there.

Decided last night on an 11am departure from the house, worked out perfectly. Breezed right up with no traffic. Parked at the pond lot and chatted with Bubba while we booted up. Hit up Wilbere with our first run, so nice having soft snow again. Then proceeded to sit through the half hour Zoom lines in order to lap Eddie Moe, shit was soft way out.

Name:	IMG_3118.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	450.0 KB 
ID:	482885

Name:  BF47143C-B9EE-4E7C-BB9F-28060D4C1A3B.jpeg
Views: 1250
Size:  214.5 KB

Not necessarily ready but, guessing foothills and lower vicinity will see core shots and contusions tomorrow.

Ha. My crew is texting about a city creek tour. Lots of potential for A. The above, and B. Avy danger if we get any substantial snow overnight. Still 0” in Sugarhouse. Good luck and heavy thanks to the patrollers, UDOT, everyone who has to do work in avy terrain the next 36ish.

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

graupelgraupelgraupelgraupelgraupelgraupelgraupel

SWE rates are impressive

Quote Originally Posted by crankplank View Post
    SWE rates are impressive

2” of water and 17” of snow in the last 12 hours at Alta. I don’t think I have the patience to go park and hope today.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a slide hit the emigration area before. Forum is wierd about screen shots but it’s on the avy center IG story.

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Nice, haven’t seen all black in a while.

100" since it started snowing last thursday

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen a slide hit the emigration area before. Forum is wierd about screen shots but it’s on the avy center IG story.
    Back when we got low elevation snow we'd ski Little Mountain to Ruth's Diner. Interesting tour but brushy.
    Anyhow, the last house in the subdivision behind the Diner kept getting his deck and garage hit by slides coming off the funnel path above. He hired a consultant to recommend mitigation.
    Hadn't been back to see the result.

I tried to go meadow skip in the Ogden area this morning. Roads were unplowed and epic. No where to park so I came home.

Friends trying to get to Snowbasin say that Weber canyon is backed up onto mountain road past south Weber exit.

Felt like I should chime in here.

Especially given my history with Millcreek (Gobbs) in 2021. (if you want to find and read the report its in end of Jan / Feb timeframe - read it as I wont go and recount all my 'rationalizations' from it)

This recipe was almost the exact same for my accident. It was Millcreek / Similar time of Year / PWL problem / Night of High Winds / Red (high) Day / I was training for Denali (I am currently training for Denali again) - The recipe wasn't something I wanted to eat and dealt with the resort hordes.

I wont defend them for the decision making, that's for them to do - however I applaud the sharing of it, it serves as a reminder of how serious the game we play is, how fragile life is.

Give support to the individual who was buried and their crew, its an experience. Finger pointing wont help (not saying we are doing that, just saying in general). Take their lesson, its a free teaching point without the trauma.

And LET ME TELL YOU IT FUCKING ABSOLUTELY FUCKING ROCKS YOUR WORLD. (Again go and find my report.)

The one thing I will say is never let these experiences define you, but teach you.

sfotex - I still have that blue Gatorade you handed me in the parking lot. It serves as a token of support in a weird way and I vividly remember what you said to me (I'm tearing up as I write this thinking about it)

Jimmy - I still remember the deep breathe I took and where I was when we talked. thank you.
    You took too much man, too much, too much

Today I will make macaroni with a napolitan gravy and an Italian cheese cake and dream about how epic Tuesday is going to be. See you then.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix