Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    As close as possible, that doesn't suck? Ideally, less than two hours.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    Safe travels for your future move.

Do give Skibowl a try. A lot of folks just drive right on bye.

A Fusion Pass will give you the longest season, access to TLine and Skibowl, the most night skiing, and flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Very strong chance my family and I will be taking up permanent residence in SW Washington; Vancouver area this summer.

Is anyone willing to give me the general rundown on if nearby touring options?
    What resort oriented passes to purchase in sutton to a meadows pass?.. maybe ikon for quick bird trips etc...?

I'm interested to know what snowmobile access skiing exists as well since i might finally be able to afford one.

Getting pumped. Please PM if beta not appropriate for public consumption. Thx!

For resort … where are you moving from, what kind of terrain do you like to ski, how much do the partner and kid(s) ski, how important is their skiing experience to you in addition your own?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    For resort … where are you moving from, what kind of terrain do you like to ski, how much do the partner and kid(s) ski, how important is their skiing experience to you in addition your own?
    Good questions. I should have mentioned that I lived in Oregon for about ten years, circa 2000, skiing some at meadows, but mostly kayaking.

We spend a fair amount of time skiing with our kids, both sub nine years old. The older one will likely continue to race... although I'm unsure of which program... that's probably another thread question. The younger one is good on easy greens and will be a lot stronger next year.

I like to ski Heather canyon at meadows. My wife will ski whatever. Timberline, last I remember, was much too flat.

What do you guys do for passes other than meadows and fusion?

How far is decent touring from Vancouver? Touring and sled access skiing need to involve relatively lower avy risk. I'm not into risking my life anymore since I have children.

My post is as convoluted as the complexity of my skiing and life choices since having children .

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I can’t expound on the differences between race programs or kid friendly skiing at Tflat vs Meadows (I live too far south) but I’m sure other mags can, which is why I asked the question. White Pass is just over 2 hours, something to consider for getting away/switching things up.

I’ve only done Adams in Spring but it’s under 2 hours to the south TH. Not sure on the road access to St Helen’s but I imagine it’s similar?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Oregon ‘23-‘24 El Niño Schralpadelic Rumble Thread

Decent touring is 1.5-3 hours from you depending on traffic and destination. The closest options to you (~1.5 hrs) are variable throughout the season due to low elevation.

Do you have any experience with a sled? It was a humbling experience when I started 4-5 seasons ago, not easy.

There isn’t much easy access/half-day sled skiing down this way, almost everything is a full day mission due to how deep you have to go. Embrace exploration and experiments. Spend lots of time studying maps, poking into a new zone, failing, going somewhere else next trip. Skiing conditions are volatile here, so you’ll strike out a bunch until you figure out what weather patterns are favorable for your zones.

I enjoy the struggle, but it requires a lot of luck, patience, and persistence.

Nice conditions on the hill. Chalky and dry snow coming down Hourglass. Was lonely in the bowl.

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Textured
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20240316_201340447.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	490757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20240316_184405444.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	490758

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Decent touring is 1.5-3 hours from you depending on traffic and destination. The closest options to you (~1.5 hrs) are variable throughout the season due to low elevation.

Do you have any experience with a sled? It was a humbling experience when I started 4-5 seasons ago, not easy.

There isn’t much easy access/half-day sled skiing down this way, almost everything is a full day mission due to how deep you have to go. Embrace exploration and experiments. Spend lots of time studying maps, poking into a new zone, failing, going somewhere else next trip. Skiing conditions are volatile here, so you’ll strike out a bunch until you figure out what weather patterns are favorable for your zones.

I enjoy the struggle, but it requires a lot of luck, patience, and persistence.
    Thanks @SchralphMacchio and everyone that has replied

My sled experience is minimal. They get stuck easily. I have some learning to do for sure, which I think will be have the fun.

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Best guesses on when the corn will be ripe on Mt. Hood?

It kind of tried on some of the pitches that are sometimes groomed. The true off pistes were just slushy and deep mank.

Warm all week and maybe some snow next week.

Yesterday, Heather was opened by 10:30ish, Silver was tits at 10:45. Skied 3 laps there. We went off piste just before the run out, its was like mashed potatoes with Elmer's glue, it was in direct sun tho

Hot laps on Upper Bowl today was lots of fun. Accelerator into Radical and Cannonball all had perfect groom. Pizzaz was loads of fun. No one present. Off and back on the chair.

Off in cali this week
    I really cannot keep up with the kid anymore but we’re having a good time

Name:	Image1710802391.679033.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	490991

Name:	Image1710802408.592489.jpg 
Size:	846.3 KB 
ID:	490992

Name:	Image1710802426.491177.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	490993

Selling my p0w boards, adj bindings just tuned. No low balls. I know what I got. $450.00

Name:	Screenshot_20240210_094041_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	490997
    yepper

Is that the 1929 SL?

Dibs!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Off in cali this week
    I really cannot keep up with the kid anymore but we’re having a good time
    How does Mammoth compared to Bach?
    I've never been but considering it before the season ends... opinions vary from what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by boar2m View Post
    Is that the 1929 SL?

Dibs!
    You missed the festivities

Name:	Screenshot_20240318_151557_Samsung Internet.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	500.6 KB 
ID:	490999
    yepper

Aww so cute! TBS's granddaughter?

I've never been but considering it before the season ends... opinions vary from what I read.
    Feels about 3x bigger with some real steeps

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Feels about 3x bigger with some real steeps
    I concur — lotta cool terrain and def some ways to get in trouble if you aren’t thoughtful

Got lucky with our timing, not crowded at all

No another couples granddaughter.
    yepper

It’s got actual steep terrain, and is actually a short drive from town!

It does not have quite the same 360 ski off the summit and go wherever you want setup as Bachelor as it’s got an actual ridgeline. But the terrain off the Mammoth Peak ridgeline can get much steeper and spicier than Bachelor. There are more lifts at Mammoth but the town itself is much much smaller than Bend. Once Los Angeles stops skiing the town really chills out - mid April onward has always felt super dead at Mammoth (both on the hill and in town). The propensity for high quality corn and overripe unfrozen Elmers glue is similar at both locations in the spring.

Biggest pros for Mammoth in my view are: actual advanced-only chairs that you can lap, it’s bigger, steep bowls and chutes, basically unlimited backcountry touring terrain within a 45 minute drive from town, has a more remote vibe.

Biggest pros for Bachelor in my view are: way way way more developed amenities for dining etc after the snow or your legs are cooked, town is actually walkable, you’re not 4.5 hours from the biggest metro area on the west coast, therefore a wildly busy day at Bachelor still does not feel as insane as a wildly busy day at Mammoth.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Hmm, sounds like Mammoth is more comparable to Big Sky than Bach… guess I’ll have to find out for myself.

Thanks.

We bonded over a shared affinity for tie dye and rainbows

Similar mountains with a lot of alpine terrain when the summit is open. I think Mammoth is a little steeper but not much. Mammoth doesn’t have anything similar to the backside of Bachelor or tree skiing of NW though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mammoth pics for your brain, boar2m

A little thin down low - kinda like spring Bach

Name:	Image1710882450.522152.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	491146

Vistas like Bach, but from 11k

Name:	Image1710882495.647143.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	491147

Name:	Image1710882547.033062.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	491148

Name:	Image1710882596.610647.jpg 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	491149

Name:	Image1710882651.288092.jpg 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	491150

Name:	Image1710882668.262717.jpg 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	491151
    Last edited by ::: :::; 03-20-2024 at 10:08 AM.