Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which MN binding am I?

I am looking for folks input on the current state of MN or MNC bindings. I am looking for a binding I can run a touring boot (Dynafit Radical Pro) in while traveling and an alpine boot (Full Tilt) the majority of the time at home. Which binding would be the easiest to go back and forth in? Again 90% of the time I would be in an alpine boot but would like the ability to be in a touring boot while traveling. Is this even a thing or is the toe adjustment too problematic? New to the MN binding world as I have always just run two pairs of boots. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean alpine MN bindings? They are all about the same, you will have to adjust toe/AFD height with all of them and heel track length with all of them. Not necessarily that hard, especially if you get good at counting clicks at the heel. As of the '23-'24 season all manufacturers are using the term "MN" including Amer who invented the term "MNC".

Not sure I get the logic of using a light-ish touring boot in a regular burly alpine ski anyway, it never worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    You mean alpine MN bindings? They are all about the same, you will have to adjust toe/AFD height with all of them and heel track length with all of them. Not necessarily that hard, especially if you get good at counting clicks at the heel. As of the '23-'24 season all manufacturers are using the term "MN" including Amer who invented the term "MNC".

Not sure I get the logic of using a light-ish touring boot in a regular burly alpine ski anyway, it never worked well for me.
    Yeah alpine MN. I am just looking to not take both alpine and touring boots while traveling but I get the logic. Thanks.

I’ve used Tyrolias, Salomons, and Markers. They all work.
    Tyrolias Attack 13 AT or Attack 14 At
    Marker Griffon Sole ID
    Salomon Warden MNC
    As others have noted, the names have changed but are basically the same bindings.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Is gripwalk another term for MN or something completely different. I’ve been looking at setting up skis I can use my Salomon mtn lab boots with. I’m sure warden MNC would be fine, but knowing my options may be helpful as I’m looking in the used market.

I appreciate the way Wardens adjust for different soles. It yields my desired ramp for both RX130 alpine, and Cosmos III tour. Can't imagine cramming the Cosmos toe lips under a Griffon or Attack toe set at the same height as an alpine boot lip, even though the AFD will adjust to accommodate the tour sole...

Having used them all here's what I've found:

- Salmon Warden MNC: love heel, too much binding delta on freestyle skis (personal pref), the toe wings dig into a lot of boots - not sure it matters, very easy to adjust

- Tyrolia Attack: very easy to step into with a satisfying click, don't love the AFD adjustment which slides the AFD fore-aft on a ramp vs Salomon which adjust toe height, BSL adjustment is annoy as fuck (instead of a worm screw it has a spring loaded "hook", you use a flathead to lift it and then move the heel), really low profile toe, I actually really like skiing these.

- Marker Griffon: least experience on these, lower binding delta than others so I like these on freestyle skis, I don't like the heel at all (often digs into the heel welt on a lot of boots) and I feel like it doesn't have a satisfying positive click when stepping in, as they wear I find they get the most play the soonest of the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    Is gripwalk another term for MN or something completely different. I’ve been looking at setting up skis I can use my Salomon mtn lab boots with. I’m sure warden MNC would be fine, but knowing my options may be helpful as I’m looking in the used market.
    GripWalk (ISO 23223) is one type of sole that works with a "MultiNorm" (MN) binding, the others are Alpine ISO 5355 and Touring ISO 9523. Boots are not "MN" - at any given time, they are one of the three types (or maybe WTR, though that's been history for 3 years). There are soles that don't conform to any of the ISO standards (i.e. ultralight touring boots), which means they're not indemnified in an MN binding. If a binding says "GW" it's compatible with Alpine and GripWalk soles, but not Touring.

The other posters have pretty much enumerated the bindings that will work with a 9523 Salomon MTN sole (the Salomon/Atomic SHT2 16 MN also is an option). I have Warden 13's and Griffons in the quiver currently and both are good, I've used touring soles in both with no issue. If, like jacob_dbu, you prefer less delta the Markers are 3mm vs the Warden's 5mm. If you get a Marker, make sure it is after 2020, when they changed the heel design so you can actually step in in soft snow. Also, the Marker delta will change slightly when adjusted for a touring sole, since the AFD moves downward.

If you are buying a new binding, Salomon/Atomic/Armada no longer say "MNC" and Marker no longer say "SoleID" or "ID" . . .

Are you going to tour in them? As in use the tech parts of the boots? Or use the touring boot in the alpine (MN) binding?
    If not touring, just travel with your alpine boot.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Are you going to tour in them? As in use the tech parts of the boots? Or use the touring boot in the alpine (MN) binding?
    If not touring, just travel with your alpine boot.
    Looking to take a pair of skis with a tech binding (Salomon MTN) and a pair of skis with an MN binding (?). Planning to both tour and lift ski on the same trip. I try and ride a tech binding as little as possible in bounds. Perhaps the answer is to just bring two boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ver iz ze money LePowski? View Post
    Looking to take a pair of skis with a tech binding (Salomon MTN) and a pair of skis with an MN binding (?). Planning to both tour and lift ski on the same trip. I try and ride a tech binding as little as possible in bounds. Perhaps the answer is to just bring two boots.
    IMO a better solution is to bring a modern hybrid boot that skis almost as well as your alpine boot (maybe better if the bar is being set by your Full Tilts) and tours damn well, too. There are some very good options these days.

He said he was planning to use Dynafit Radical Pros - does this not count as a pretty well skiing boot (that's a serious question, not a sarcastic one)? I've skied mine inbounds and been satisfied. If the fit was better/lower volume I wouldn't hesitate to ski mine inbounds routinely, but my reference is 2 buckle touring boots. They certainly have a great walk mode for the amount of support when skiing down.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    He said he was planning to use Dynafit Radical Pros - does this not count as a pretty well skiing boot (that's a serious question, not a sarcastic one)?
    I guess that's a matter of opinion. The Radical Pro is stiff enough, but the super roomy fit isn't ideal for precision skiing - I'd much rather take a Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro or polyamide Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD as my travel boot (and have). Not sure why Dynafit dropped the snug but easy to modify 98mm fit from the TLT5 and TLT6, but I haven't really been tempted by their boots since. If OP has very high volume feet and ankles maybe it will work for him.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    He said he was planning to use Dynafit Radical Pros - does this not count as a pretty well skiing boot (that's a serious question, not a sarcastic one)? I've skied mine inbounds and been satisfied. If the fit was better/lower volume I wouldn't hesitate to ski mine inbounds routinely, but my reference is 2 buckle touring boots. They certainly have a great walk mode for the amount of support when skiing down.
    Yeah I’m content with how the Radical Pro skis and tours and I’m not looking to change boots. It sounds like the MN binding world hasn’t changed much.

Yeah I’m content with how the Radical Pro skis and tours and I’m not looking to change boots. It sounds like the MN binding world hasn’t changed much.
    Fair enough. Good deals on Warden 13, as they are phasing them out this year: https://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-sk...-bindings-.jpg

Fair enough. Good deals on Warden 13, as they are phasing them out this year: https://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-sk...-bindings-.jpg
    That’s the route I was thinking unless the Strive MN is a major upgrade.

That’s the route I was thinking unless the Strive MN is a major upgrade.
    Strive would be fine, but it's only "MN" in the 16 DIN version ($350). I've owned many Warden 13's and never had an issue with them.

That is very good to know. This might make me grab a pair and see what I can find to mount them to.

If I were traveling by plane and taking one pair of boots & 2 pairs of skis, I’d take my Lange xt3 140s and my midfats with Attacks & set of pow boards with kingpins or techtons. I’ve had no issues with adjusting GW Attacks. And they’re cheap, which is helpful when you have a quiver.

If I planned to do some real touring I’d take two complete sets. Too many compromises otherwise.

For this year, the Strive 14 is also available in MN (https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/p...ml#color=82195)

Have seen a few good deals floating around for this

Strive would be fine, but it's only "MN" in the 16 DIN version ($350). I've owned many Warden 13's and never had an issue with them.

I have found traveling with one pair of boots (dynafit beast) and touring and alpine skis to be a good solution. I use alpine boots at home. I have heard from a couple of sources that lugged soles on touring boots can cause release issues. I figure still better than touring bindings inbounds.

what Warden brake size should i go with for a 120-underfoot ski? should i slightly bend a 115 or play it safe with 130?

You should be fine with either — 115 will be tight but should fit without bending, and the 130s will obviously fit and will tuck up nicely when the boot is in.

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    You should be fine with either — 115 will be tight but should fit without bending, and the 130s will obviously fit and will tuck up nicely when the boot is in
    This is the right answer, though sometimes when you're close to the limit of a Amer STH2 brake (5-6mm wider than the stated brake width) you'll have trouble separating the skis when they're pushed together with brakes interlocked.

One other nice feature of the Attack 13/14MN is that the brakes are cheap and easy to swap out if you want to bring skis with very different waists. Other bindings have swapable brakes but the Attack is stupid easy.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.