Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Leg Blaster Thread - are we having fun yet?

We need a thread dedicated solely to this special brand of self torture. We have snips of threads in almost every forum, but nothing specific to leg blasters. So here it is, right where it should be in the ski forum.

This year I'm doing it all the way till the holidays. Started today with minis. My butt hurts. A lot.

Who's with me?!

I started with a mini a couple weeks ago and have worked up to two full sets as of last Friday. Good reminder to do some today too. I eased in slow enough this year that I didn't get any super bad DOMS but two years ago I started hard enough to be sore for 5 days straight. Hoping to work up to weighted blasters this season.

having been jonged on this topic before, it is my responsibility, nay privilege, to ask about the Skier's Edge.

In more relevant discussion, yes. Do leg blasters. lots of them. I'm hoping i can get through 1/2 in my present state of turd.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Yes, it's ongoing for the last couple weeks. I'm at 3 sets of full blasters, hoping to get to 10, by Thanksgiving. I got to 10 sets 3x a week the last 2 yrs.

Nothing puts a smilie on your face like hearing from the youngsters(20-40yo) how out of shape they are while sharing a chair to the top of the WROD........

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Fucking minis killed me a week ago. I guess tonight's the night I need to do another round before I lose motivation. Yay!

Ugh. Thanks for the reminder and motivation. I usually start Oct. 1st, but slacked. Time to get on the train. Starting my minis tonight.

I just started on Saturday.
    5 minute bike (stationary)
    3 sets of log jumps (10 16" tall, ~12-14" in diameter, spaced out in a 30' long line; jump up and down diagonally down the line); fun!
    3 sets mini Leg Blasters; not fun!
    2 sets funny walks
    Single leg matrix jumps for a 60 seconds (112 jumps, new record!)
    20 one leg sitting squat with 15# kettleball

(~4.5 months post-op on ACL reconstruction)

RARRR!

Same, minis fucking shredded my quads. Will bump to fulls next week me thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for introducing me. I will report back next week with my degree of ire for all of you

Have been lifting heavy for a while now, legs twice a week and just switched my workout to start honing in ski type movements and specific strength/balance. Lots of kettle bells, HIIT and leg blasters. Felt pretty torched the last couple of days. The body will adjust as the week progresses. Feels good to be bounding and exploding. Lol

This is exactly what this desk jockey needed to get back on the horse.

Fuck all of you.

The Leg Blaster Thread - are we having fun yet?

I’ve been doing them again too.
    A couple of days ago I had a nice calf cramp in the middle of the night and was cursing leg blasters for it.
    skid luxury

Thanks for the thread. Funny, I've never seen the leg blaster but going to add to my workout. A quick search and found this

https://mtntactical.com/exercises/mnt110-leg-blaster/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6791.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	747.4 KB 
ID:	472395
    watch out for snakes

5 minis done today. Upping 1 a day this week until hitting fulls next week.

I'm all in for Leg Blasters this season. I signed up for a Ski Conditioning class, which started last week, and my quads & gluts have been soar from those damn LBs.

Thanks for the peer pressure - it works

I'm glad you guys like the blasters, but i don't think by themselves they build too much leg muscle. You get sore for sure, but i think it's because of the
    Excentric load when you come down from the jump. Similar to hiking down a steep trail first time after a year or so. Quads get sore for a day, but it's the micro tears, and it doesn't mean you build meaningful muscle.

Which is why competitive skiers also squat and leg press with heavy weights.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6791.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	747.4 KB 
ID:	472395
    Name:  bb2_jpg-1235760.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  14.7 KB
    Your dog just ate an avocado!

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I'm glad you guys like the blasters, but i don't think by themselves they build too much leg muscle. You get sore for sure, but i think it's because of the
    Excentric load when you come down from the jump. Similar to hiking down a steep trail first time after a year or so. Quads get sore for a day, but it's the micro tears, and it doesn't mean you build meaningful muscle.

Which is why competitive skiers also squat and leg press with heavy weights.

Nobody said they are for building muscle and exactly why you should lift heavy squats, split squats, nordic curls etc. LB’s are great for conditioning your legs with a similar load as skiing. Why I lift heavy then add them in two months prior.
    LB’s are for endurance.

I should get in on this. It’s been years since I’ve routinely done them. Thinking they’ll help trail running as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Nobody said they are for building muscle and exactly why you should lift heavy squats, split squats, nordic curls etc. LB’s are great for conditioning your legs with a similar load as skiing. Why I lift heavy then add them in two months prior.
    LB’s are for endurance.

Ok. I just got the impression from reading this post that this was the go to exercise for legs.

For those that are already lifting then add the LB's in...what's your schedule? Lift legs 2x/week then work LB's in 3x/week on diff days? Or incorporate them after a leg workout (or even later in the day if lifting in the am)?
    Worried about not enough recovery esp if working legs 5x/week (not including biking or hiking).

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    For those that are already lifting then add the LB's in...what's your schedule? Lift legs 2x/week then work LB's in 3x/week on diff days? Or incorporate them after a leg workout (or even later in the day if lifting in the am)?
    Worried about not enough recovery esp if working legs 5x/week (not including biking or hiking).
    IMO, 5x a week definitely too much. At your age. My plan is lift heavy one day a week and do LB’s 2x a week. But I’m sure people will tell me that’s not enough….?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    IMO, 5x a week definitely too much. At your age. My plan is lift heavy one day a week and do LB’s 2x a week. But I’m sure people will tell me that’s not enough….?
    i should clarify that my 3 days of lifting are full body workouts w really only 1 or 2 lifts focused on legs so feel like i could maybe supplement w some LB's a couple of those days...