Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Axe?

Axe?

I need to buy an axe. Like most things in life the process went from whatever rusty axe I can find to choice anxiety.

Do I get a wood or composite handle? Online articles say composite is more damp. Dunno I doubt it. Composite does come in flashy colours. Milwaukee red would look good strapped to my jeep. Do I need a quiver?

Axe?

Do you have a specific purpose for the axe? Felling trees, pounding wedges? Splitting wood, big rounds? Backcountry/backpacking? I guess my short answer is you're definitely going to need a quiver. For composite we use a ton of Fiskars at work and they are plenty sharp and durable. I prefer the Husqi composite personally since the butt is flatter and more square which makes it more useful if it's going to be a do-anything, live-in-the-truck type axe.
    Last edited by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo; 09-25-2023 at 08:40 PM.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Fiskers. Lots of them. Different lengths, hatchet, maul etc. Composite but I have a couple older wood handled cheapies too.

Sent from my SM-S236DL using Tapatalk

Love my fiskars axes
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I have an axe that was liberated from a CPR locomotive I dont know why they were equipped with an axe

my dad the very heavy fabrication guy used to break/ wear out sledge hammer handles and he said to always wrap the shaft with filament packing tape on the shaft up near the head
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

its the only bodyspray worth getting….

fact.

A maul and wood grenade are pretty awesome axe companions.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    A maul and wood grenade are pretty awesome axe companions.
    I'd wager that a lot of people who buy axes actually need a maul. A 3-lb hand maul is pretty great for camping: https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-Fires...00HAEI1A/?th=1

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'd wager that a lot of people who buy axes actually need a maul. A 3-lb hand maul is pretty great for camping: https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-Fires...00HAEI1A/?th=1
    Ask iceman
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Shit. Think of what would've happened if the maul hadn't been handy and an axe had. Grizzly either way, I presume, but holy moly
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Ash handle. Unless it's gonna get left outside in the elements, in which case composite.

PM Ötzi
    He knows mauls

The Fiskars splitting axe is the best there is in my opinion. Their other felling and camp axes are great too.

If you want fancy get a Gransfors of some kind, heirloom quality. There’s a lot of great vintage axes to be found at yard sales and second hand places. I have a really nice Collins Legitimus that I need to put a handle on.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This is dead hookers related, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Truth.

I have one of these out on my island. Works great.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Love my fiskars axes
    Word, I use a 28" Fiskars splitting axe and it has gone through multiple trees of wood.

We use sledges & Wedges to break up the big rounds and the Fiskars splits the rest easy.
    Great swing weight and durable AF

Just out of college, 4 friends and me moved into a rental house with a fireplace. The property manager had been clearing trees on another property and offered us some firewood, which we were happy to accept. He showed up with a pickup full of rounds, a sledgehammer, and a wedge, saying "I'm not going to give you an axe because you'll cut your foot off." (he thought we were a bunch of wussy college boys, which TBH wasn't too far off the mark)

We all scoffed, but about a week later, I wacked my foot with the sledgehammer so it seems Jerry knew what he was talking about. Not sure if this story has a point. Maybe "don't forget that a sledgehammer and wedge can be useful too"

Don't forget about Gransfors Bruk, the Stockli of axes and wedges.

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/but...tting-axes-en/

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Husqvarna sells Swedish made axes at a fraction of the boutique prices, if the sizes work for you. Were made at one of the branded forges. The request is so generic without purpose

yes, a quiver can be useful, but in general unless you swing it everyday longer sizes aren’t. A hatchet might be more appropriate

FWIW my ggrandfather, who worked as a logger after upgrading from unloading boats, owned a craftsman axe 3# well after he retired. But it had a hefty handle 35”. Too split wood he used a wedge and a 12” hammer

My neighbor who has 13 chainsaws, BTW, and works for the forest service has some really cool lever style of axe. I borrowed it and it works well. It’ll be my next splitter. It looks a lot like the Truper Leveraxe.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    This is what’s in my trucks. Does alright splitting camp firewood as well.

Back when I heater with wood, a nice heavy splitting maul with a fibreglass/composite handle (with some kind of guard over the handle near the head as well) was the big round workhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This is dead hookers related, isn't it?
    More like OP is really Jason Voorhees.

Oct 13 is coming up. He's just getting ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Just make sure you get the 192. This is TGR after all.